PDA

View Full Version : Personal Tips n Tricks

The Teknoist.
05-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Share yours. One at a time :)if you want a filthy bass with loads of presence try this perhaps...

1 make a bass noise you like with lots of grit and presence. dont worry too much about it sitting properly yet, just get the sound you want. resample it, load two samplers and have a copy in each.

2 on the first sampler distort it to mother ****ing death, compress it and resample it back into the same sampler.

3 high pass this first one and stick a nice filter on it.

4 with the second bassline compress it and low pass it.

5 get the levels of each copy nice so they sit together well

6 put both copies through the same send/bus (depending on what daw you are using) and eq it into shape to get rid of any low end rumble.

7 trigger both at the same time and automate the filter on the first on and you will be in heaven, i swear

messyfuture
05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
learn the quick keys for your programs

saves loads of time

DJZeMigL
07-10-2004, 04:31 PM
don't waste 2 much time jamming ...

U get a groove... does it work 4 ya?

Yes... go sequence the mofo and make sure u finish what i start.. don't hang to 10 unfinished projects... make sure u don't have more then 2-3 unfished tracks b4 I start a new ideia!

No.. Shift+Delete...

back 2 the start.. loop mode : ON! ;)

Z

John Ferraris
08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
make sure u don't have more then 2-3 unfished tracks b4 I start a new ideia!

Sound advice. I find any more n I get torn creativley between too many projects n get nothing done. Then think 'why the **** haven't I finished a track in ages??' and question why I'm doing this whole thing in the first place :lol:

Mindful
08-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Mix your track with similar records from your collection(or one of your own)comparing EQ and such plus it gives you an idea of how certain elements of your track sound in the mix or how well your intros work.
its alo good to hear your tune being mixed for energy perposes rather than pressing start and you get your full on intro BANG RATTLE TTTSSS

don't waste 2 much time jamming ...

U get a groove... does it work 4 ya?

Yes... go sequence the mofo and make sure u finish what i start

Good advice Mig L i find my self listening to a groove(or grind)for hours adding more and more till eventualy i just cant decide the best way to sequence my sounds and end up a week later with the same groove saying to my self il work on it some other time i find myself too board and uninspierd to sequence the bleedin thing :doh:

DJZeMigL
08-10-2004, 08:15 PM
lol so true..

Listen and mix at very low level (if u have good monitors...) the essencial sounds should come thru easy on a good mix, also great for u 2 check levels/ panning cause u really need 2 place things well 2 make it all come thru on a busy mix at low level listening... In the end crank it up for a doble check and shake yer bootie! ;)

Z

Mindful
08-10-2004, 08:22 PM
some advice on panning would be very much appreciated tis somthing i tend to neglect

DJZeMigL
08-10-2004, 08:49 PM
try the above example.. keep yer basslines and kick drum dead center make all the rest spread left and right ... the most important sounds should be more centered than the other. think of a stage in a play @ the theater... the main actors are at the front but if they're fat u won't C any1 else, unless u make them stand a little 2 they're right and left (otherwise they'll just stand behind other people and won't b seen).

Some people keep all the high freq.s 2 one side and the lower freq. sounds 2 the other .. I kinda have "my own" view on this... if u send 2 much stuff with similar freq. context 2 the same speaker it won't b so efficient reproducing all it nuances but if u send some 2 the left and the rest 2 the right not only it will b reproduced more accurately as it will b reproduced more eficientely. Also it will also sound more dynamic and interesting/ less predictable.... I'm quite sure some1 will prove me worng but untill then I'll stick 2 this! ;)

PS - U can't do this on headphones.. U'll need monitors... U don't have a proper sense of stereo with headphones!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helpz,

Z

j_s
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Some people keep all the high freq.s 2 one side and the lower freq. sounds 2 the other ..

That sounds like a pretty ****ed up thing to do. Surely the result will sound totally unbalanced?

I always try to mirror sounds in stereo - i.e. have similar sounds placed on equal, but opposite sides of the field (probably haven't explained myself too well here) - if I don't do this I find the track lacks togetherness and sounds really unrounded....

MangaFish
09-10-2004, 04:35 PM
the whole idea of sterio is kinda lost in a club though as very few club PAs are set up in sterio

John Ferraris
10-10-2004, 02:31 AM
Don't get to attathced to sounds. Remember that it may sound cool as **** how it is, but if it doesn't sit in the mix then EQ or remove offending sounds. No-one is really gonna notice (or care ;) ) if that wicked pad has had some mid range taken out to make room in the mix. A well produced tune is about the grand total being greater than the sum of the individual parts IMO :lol:

If you find your constantly tweaking loads of sounds to try and get the mix to sit well, just group similar sounds into say, frequncy bands and do any extra EQing to these. Another thing I find this helpful for is making room for higher priority sounds like leads. Lead not cutting through the mix? Solo the lead then add each group track to find which one makes the lead harder to hear. The EQ this group by soloing the lead + group track. Boost a medium band and sweep the frequency 'til it makes the lead REALLY hard to hear, then just cut until it makes it better. Hope that makes sense :lol:

Mindful
10-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks people ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==