PDA

View Full Version : Recording tracks for other artists.

Scott Kemix
05-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Please can anyone help.

I have recorded many tracks for various artists in the past, but only charged them for the studio time. They have then gone off and released this music of which i was the producer. I think these artists have been making some good cash off these releases and i have not got nothing for doin this work.
I have two artists comin to my studio in two weeks and they think i am goin to produce their track for them and just charge them for the studio time again, but i need some advice on what to do???
1.Should i ask for some cash upfront????
2.Get a solicitor involved and get some deal wrote down on paper??

Cheers Scott Kemix.

TechMouse
05-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Record some tracks yourself and send them to labels?

If they've been getting released anyway then they're obviously of a decent standard. Why not get the due credit for them?

Antinoise
05-10-2004, 04:34 PM
How much are you doing... and how much are they doing.? Explain what goes down...

fatcollective
05-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Yo Scott, i would just get a little contract set up (makeshift studio terms and conditions) if the lads dont agree to what percent (of overall sales) you get out of the tunes YOU are producing, then tell em to **** Off...you have done some wikid music for them dudes and i think you deserve a piece of the cake and if you tell them the way you feel im sure they will agree to sort you out more than just studio time...then things will be fair! dont let then take advantage mate!

Scott Kemix
05-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi people,

I do all of the production on their tracks. Cheers all for the info. I think the terms and conditions thing sounds a good line to take.

Respect!

Antinoise
05-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Forgive me if this sounds stupid... But if your doing "all" the production then tell then to wank off all together and release under your own name. If its all their creativity and you're the engineer that makes it happen.. then thats a different story.

Henry has a similar story about this.. You should email him how he handeled it.

DJZeMigL
07-10-2004, 04:34 PM
yeah Dave the Drummer had a topic exactly about this.. look for it in the old posts!

Make sure u set the record straight b4 u start producing/ engeneering any1!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==