PDA

View Full Version : usb / firewire soundcards

Miromiric
07-10-2004, 11:10 AM
recommend me some external usb / firewire soundcard. price 200-250€, i guess i can get some good card for that money. i need no more then 2 ins/outs and ofcourse midi, what did you think :dontevengothere:

DJZeMigL
07-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Edirol UA-25 seems 2 b preatty decent!

How many out / Ins u need.. U need midi, mic pre-amps, headfone out, etc...????

Z

go|plastic
07-10-2004, 09:04 PM
M-Audio Audiophile USB

http://209.132.209.147/products/en_us/AudiophileUSB-focus.html
up to 24-bit/96kHz performance
2 pairs of line-level audio inputs (1/4" TS and RCA)
2 line-level audio outputs (RCA) with level control knob
S/PDIF digital I/O (coaxial) with 2-channel PCM
digital I/O supports surround-encoded AC-3 and DTS passthrough
1x1 MIDI I/O
headphone output (1/4" TRS) with level control knob
AC-powered for high performance A/D and D/A
includes Maximum Audio Tools software bundle

Sells for around 240€ overe here...

Miromiric
07-10-2004, 09:10 PM
i need somethiung thAT Ll give me stereo sound and midi in out. like echo indigo.

Miromiric
14-10-2004, 08:48 PM
young justin has just brought to my attention an interesting and, may i say so, very bold option. apparently one can use evolutio uc33 without any soundcard at all, just usin the USB port and built in sound on motherboard. i do not know what consequences would this have for latency. any ideas?

xfive
14-10-2004, 08:58 PM
As far as the evo goes.. the usb is fine for midi....
But definetly do NOT use the onboard sound if you are doing anything serious.
The chipsets always blow... and furthermore most of the implementations are done in software anyhow which yields massive cpu overhead.

You are also putting yourself at the mercy of a crappy 1/8" headphone jack and (in some cases) all of the noise in system.

Definetly go with something external ;)

Miromiric
14-10-2004, 09:22 PM
i have a good soundcard on the other cpu for making music, this is just for me playin live.

xfive
14-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Yeah... I'd still go external tho man... I'd say that usb Audiophile would do.... Or a Firewire410 or so...

g
15-10-2004, 12:58 AM
i have a good soundcard on the other cpu for making music, this is just for me playin live.
usb is fine for the midi connection on your uc33
but you don't want to use your internal soundcard for audio out
have you got a pcmcia slot? echo indigo would be best if so
otherwise the m-audio usb stuff mentioned will do you fine. or almost any reputable usb soundcard
if you end up with usb audio and usb for connecting the midi controller, make sure you have 2 separate usb ports.. you don't want them on the same bus
firewire audio is of course going to be more reliable than usb. but usb is normally just fine if all you want is a stereo out

278d7e64a374de26f==