PDA

View Full Version : Beeping cuts out audio

John Ferraris
07-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi, my motherboard beeps every second when its all getting a little too hot in my computer. Problem is, everytime it beeps it causes my audio to cut out. I know the audio isn't cutting out because of the CPU in cubase because a) The CPU meter is only at about 60% and b) it happens constantly at 1 second intervals, to periodic for random CPU max outs.

Anyone else had this problem? I could turn off the temperature warning off in the BIOS (its already cranked up to beep only when its REALLY hot) and risk doing a chernobyl on my computer. Funnily enough my PC hasn't ever glitched up because of the heat :neutral:

DJZeMigL
07-10-2004, 09:21 PM
basically each time the warning comes up it steals the audio driver from cubase!?

Can U make the alarm silent? Maybe generate an empty *.wav file and rename 2 the same as the warning wave, and the overwriting the original warning 1 with the empty new 1!

Z

John Ferraris
07-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Hmmm... I can see your logic, but the beep isn't generated by the sound card, it comes from a tiny speaker plugged into the mother board. I was thinking that *maybe* (but unlikley) the speaker on the motherboard was interfering with some sort of circuitry, possibly on the sound card.

Thanks for the prompt response Z, the plot thickens... ;)

tocsin
07-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Hmmm... I can see your logic, but the beep isn't generated by the sound card, it comes from a tiny speaker plugged into the mother board. I was thinking that *maybe* (but unlikley) the speaker on the motherboard was interfering with some sort of circuitry, possibly on the sound card.

Thanks for the prompt response Z, the plot thickens... ;)

Check your BIOS. There should be two different settings for the CPU/Heat related issue. One will power down your computer if it gets too hot while the other will cause the beep. If you aren't bothering to powerdown your computer when you get the beep anyways, why not just disable the warning function but leave the automatic shutdown function on? If you don't have an automatic shutdown option, check if there is a bios upgrade for your motherboard which does.

John Ferraris
09-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Nice one Toscin. No auto-shutdown n didn't wanna risk no warnings (crash computer = lost tune :cry: ) but changed settings to beep only when entering supernova stage of heating up. Just hope I don;t come home to find a smouldering lump of circuitry :lol:

eyes without a face
09-10-2004, 03:37 PM
i never have problems with computers overheating? is it an old computer? mine is about 2 years old and i have many many programs, vsts, samples, tracks etc etc running at any one time and it sometimes hangs a little but the computer never gets to the stage where its possible that it may actually catch fire or owt......

strange.... hope u sorted it anyway

MangaFish
09-10-2004, 03:46 PM
its very very dangerous for you computer if its over heating. It wont catch fire, computers will never get that hot, but you have to remember that teh cooler the CPU, the more efficiently (and quicker) it will run. plus the CPU will be damaged if its continually used at a higher temprature.

the best thing you can do is put in an extra case far or 2. more the computer away from confined spaces. it needs air ventalation and i'm guessing you have it hidden away between other bits of equipment or in a corner somewhere. check to make sure your existing CPU fans are well lubricated and the barrings arent worn away.

dont ignore the signs by turning off the beeping otherwise you run the risk of not having a computer at all!

John Ferraris
10-10-2004, 02:20 AM
I've tied up all the cables with cable ties n moved them away from the motherboard/CPU heatsink+fan and I've also got a fan in the side of the case as well. I've removed the side panel and leant it against the side of the case to aid circulation but to no avail. I know the computer isn't gonna catch fire :lol: I'm just worried about my CPU being frazzled :cry: Its a new PC (couple of monhs old) and have no idea why its heating up so much. Never had this problem before... strange :eh:

eyes without a face
10-10-2004, 02:37 PM
if the computer is that new then it sounds like u may have a big fault in there somewhere... im guessing its under warranty so u should take it to where u got it and get them to check it out

MangaFish
11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
is it the CPU tempreture or the box tempreture? are you sure hte fans are spinning properly? is there enough coolent gell betweent he heat sink and the processor? (if its shop braught then i wouldnt recoment you rip of the heat sink as that could invalidate your warrenty)

tocsin
12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
^^^ Word. Also, have you maybe considered a water cooling package? I use one in my AMD box and it's quite nice. It's much more silent than using a fan and my CPU temp pretty much sits around 40 degrees celsius.

John Ferraris
12-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Its the CPU temperature. It seems unusualy high while its not doing much :neutral: I mean, it may be as much as a dodgy heatsink but I thought i'd check all other roots before fiddling around. Unfortunatley its not under warranty as I built it myself. I've done this quite a few times before and never experienced this, and what makes it more unusual is it only started to happen recently.

I might check out some better cooling methods if it is the heatsink/fan, as if I gotta replace something, I may as well strecth out and get something decent n reliable.

Cheers for the feedback guys :clap: and if anyone has any more suggestions I thank u in advance ;)

loopdon
12-10-2004, 04:49 PM
basically each time the warning comes up it steals the audio driver from cubase!?

Can U make the alarm silent? Maybe generate an empty *.wav file and rename 2 the same as the warning wave, and the overwriting the original warning 1 with the empty new 1!

Z

you hacker :roll: ;)

loopdon
12-10-2004, 04:52 PM
i have often encountered the problem of the cpu-fan and the 'cooling block' below having become rather dusty. smoking worsens the situation. def. give that a look, coz it can even happen after a few months.

DJZeMigL
12-10-2004, 04:55 PM
not really...

lol I don't know jack sh*t about programing but I do have some nast* Ideas!!

Z

MangaFish
12-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Its the CPU temperature. It seems unusualy high while its not doing much :neutral: I mean, it may be as much as a dodgy heatsink but I thought i'd check all other roots before fiddling around. Unfortunatley its not under warranty as I built it myself. I've done this quite a few times before and never experienced this, and what makes it more unusual is it only started to happen recently.

I might check out some better cooling methods if it is the heatsink/fan, as if I gotta replace something, I may as well strecth out and get something decent n reliable.

Cheers for the feedback guys :clap: and if anyone has any more suggestions I thank u in advance ;)

the heat sink wouldnt be faulty as its just a lump of metal, infact (i've been out of the computer industry for 3 years now so this may no longer be the case) some slower processors dont even need a CPU fan as the heat sink is sufficiant for disapaiting the heat. i dont think water cooling would kept he tempreture any lower than conventional methods (although its been years since i've looked into this so things may have changed), although it does sound a hell of a lot quieter.

what processor do you have? have a look on forums specifically for that model and see if over heating is a known problem/flaw with the chipset.

278d7e64a374de26f==