PDA

View Full Version : Jetgroove.com Are your tracks being illegally sold online?

Internal Error Records
08-10-2004, 10:51 PM
hi gang,
new stir. jetgroove.com is a start up mp3 distributor, apperantly based in moscow, selling techno mp3's. My label is up there, and i been told hydrolix and many others are aswell.

fortunetly, my label has an attorney and we are looking to sort this out with jeygroove asap.

label owners might want to take this seriously

Regards,
Gil

Internal Error Records
08-10-2004, 10:52 PM
doh sorry, there is already a pthread for this.

eyes without a face
08-10-2004, 11:23 PM
something tells me these guys are gonna be getting quite a few emails

Louk
09-10-2004, 04:10 PM
http://www.jetgroove.com/release/75059/Ne-Ultra-Forever-N_A-Vinyl.html

COMPLETE AND UTTER B**TARDS NO NEED FOR IT THEY ARE RIPPING ME OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!

Louk

jesus
09-10-2004, 04:19 PM
this is there host - http://www.he.net/ enough complaints should do the trick.

jonnyspeed
09-10-2004, 04:34 PM
That site is really shit - only 4 Chris Liberator tracks from 2004 - think its time to get your content up in mp3 on legal sites and not worry too much about this - might wanna do a class action against them, save you all some money and but extra weight behind it.

But more the point if all this is free on Soul Seek....?

karlo
09-10-2004, 08:02 PM
HE GOTS ALL MY RECORDS THERE Who the **** is he?!?!?!?!? i will have to send him few e-mail..mother ****er!!!!!! :protest:

Heroes
12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
bunch of robbing cunts, this is serious shit people, ive already notified mcps, i mean do they want to **** up this scene or what, if producers cant survive financially making tracks then no music to enjoy, its a circle of cogs that we cant let get broken from knobs like this... just my opinion

Heroes
12-10-2004, 02:51 PM
bunch of robbing cunts, this is serious shit people, ive already notified mcps, i mean do they want to **** up this scene or what, if producers cant survive financially making tracks then no music to enjoy, its a circle of cogs that we cant let get broken from knobs like this... just my opinion

schlongfingers
12-10-2004, 03:05 PM
They aren't selling. Just email them and they will remove clips of your music, it's really simple and I've heard numerous reports of labels having their music removed VERY quickly.

Here is the email address, and a template to make it even easier

Email - legal@jetgroove.com

Template

Dear Jetgroove,

As the copyright holders, we request that you remove any information or data relating to the following Labels/Artists from your website (www.jetgroove.com) as soon as possible.

1 - My Label
2 - My Artist Name

Thanks,

Your Name

Heroes
12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
nice

Heroes
12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
nice

schlongfingers
12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Let us know if you have any problems, whatever your viewpoint on this, a template that works would be very useful for those labels that wish to be removed.

I can't see why that one wouldn't work but let us know if you have any difficulty.

gunjack
15-10-2004, 04:43 AM
Dear Gunjack,

We bring you apologies from JetGroove for making you worry about your copyrights infringements and your music repertoire being presented on our website. We want to assure you that having started a new Online Music Download Service JetGroove pursued the objective of making your music more well-known and accessible and BY LEGAL MEANS ONLY. That means we DID NOT SELL any of your music without obtaining a proper permission (License) from you or other respective rightholders.

The experience of showing your music on our website without distributing was aimed to draw our users attention to your music, with further goal to make contacts with you on friendly terms with a perspective of mutually beneficial partnership. This project was created to promote and give as much exposure to independent record labels and artists as possible. That is exactly why we didn’t not sell your music, but only made it available for users to see, and get a feedback from them. We can let you know at any time how many of your tracks were put on hold and which ones.

All the time we were in touch with many people from different music communities knowing what was happening around JetGroove.com Download Music Service. We hoped that our service would help many customers to figure out for themselves the music they like, and would help us understand their needs in digital music. We hoped to provide listen-before-you-buy service that would help labels and artists promote their work. But despite of our good intentions, we have met a strong resistance from record labels and artists. And so, with the best wishes to our futures partners and to discredit all doubts about our legitimacy, we decided to change a way we are going to do business. From now on our database will include only information that we have license for and nothing else.

Hope this will tell you more about us than any information you’ve heard or saw before. If you find our project interesting for you and would like to know more about JetGroove and see what we can offer you, please let us know. Hope you’ll find our offer to make your music more popular through us rather reasonable and we can start mutually beneficial partnership.

Sincerely yours,

Alena Chakhnazarova
Jetgroove, LLP
Tel: + 44 0870 068 4866
Fax: +44 207 900 6597
E-mail: marketing@jetgroove.com

gunjack
15-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Dear Gunjack,

We bring you apologies from JetGroove for making you worry about your copyrights infringements and your music repertoire being presented on our website. We want to assure you that having started a new Online Music Download Service JetGroove pursued the objective of making your music more well-known and accessible and BY LEGAL MEANS ONLY. That means we DID NOT SELL any of your music without obtaining a proper permission (License) from you or other respective rightholders.

The experience of showing your music on our website without distributing was aimed to draw our users attention to your music, with further goal to make contacts with you on friendly terms with a perspective of mutually beneficial partnership. This project was created to promote and give as much exposure to independent record labels and artists as possible. That is exactly why we didn’t not sell your music, but only made it available for users to see, and get a feedback from them. We can let you know at any time how many of your tracks were put on hold and which ones.

All the time we were in touch with many people from different music communities knowing what was happening around JetGroove.com Download Music Service. We hoped that our service would help many customers to figure out for themselves the music they like, and would help us understand their needs in digital music. We hoped to provide listen-before-you-buy service that would help labels and artists promote their work. But despite of our good intentions, we have met a strong resistance from record labels and artists. And so, with the best wishes to our futures partners and to discredit all doubts about our legitimacy, we decided to change a way we are going to do business. From now on our database will include only information that we have license for and nothing else.

Hope this will tell you more about us than any information you’ve heard or saw before. If you find our project interesting for you and would like to know more about JetGroove and see what we can offer you, please let us know. Hope you’ll find our offer to make your music more popular through us rather reasonable and we can start mutually beneficial partnership.

Sincerely yours,

Alena Chakhnazarova
Jetgroove, LLP
Tel: + 44 0870 068 4866
Fax: +44 207 900 6597
E-mail: marketing@jetgroove.com

karlo
15-10-2004, 10:47 AM
i think i saw similar web page....playittonight.com something like that is URL!!!!!!! :doh:

zaalmoetlos
18-10-2004, 10:00 PM
F O R W A R D THIS EMAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN

After Kazaa, there is a new threat to artists, and it is in websites like jetgroove.com.

There is only one way to save us from this threat; through awareness.

7 steps to save the independent record industry :

I - Everybody have to be aware that the Russian based company "JetGroove", www.jetgroove.com is selling music illegally. Even though Ulukman Mamytov, JetGroove legal department's spokesman, states on their website JetGroove signed license agreements with all the labels sold on its site, this is a false information and it is mistaking the customer.

II- They are selling music downloaded from Kazaa and other P2P networks: To build up their music library of music files, they downloaded them from P2P networks and then re-encoded them.

III - JetGroove is not British, but a Russian company:
a- They are renting a British address in London at "Douglas Company Services", http://www.douglas-cs.co.uk/, to show they are legit and an English company. The address provided by Douglas Company Services is:

Regent House,
316 Beulah Hill,
London SE19 3HF,
United Kingdom
It's exactly the address of the JetGroove offices you can find on their website.
b- Their phone number in Moscow is +7 095 730 8046
c- One of their sub domain name is: ru.corp.jetgroove.com , as "ru" for "Russia"
d- Some other contacts of JetGroove: Alena Chakhnazarova, Ilya Basalaev (very English isn't it?)

IV - Record Industry Associations around the world are preparing to sue them: Yes..., why ? Just because, not only being happy about selling illegal content from small independent labels, they decided to sell music from major companies such as Madonna, Britney Spears and so-on... They are very angry. So be really careful with your music: if you feel your music is sold there illegally, first contact your label manager then your local Recording Association as soon as possible, or contact the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) http://www.ifpi.org/

V - Their website has been built by the following Russian webdesign company http://www.suponix.com which is using the same tricks as JetGroove to fool people on where they come from. They are a Russian company from Odessa, Russia, and try to show they are American.

VI - You can find more info here: http://www.ivibes.nu/index.php?article=3461
http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?s=23ff44fc86589e6426bbc1dba7889049&
threadid=244233&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

VII - Be aware that there is a rumour of scam for credit card details.

So to help save the independent record industry make people aware of this new kind of threat, we have to

!!!!!!!!! F O R W A R D THIS EMAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS WE CAN !!!!!!!!!

schlongfingers
18-10-2004, 10:04 PM
I'd take a look at the Jetgroove website if I were you - they removed everything last week.

MangaFish
18-10-2004, 10:42 PM
zaalmoetlos: i've only glanced through your post, but a few things stick out:

II- They are selling music downloaded from Kazaa and other P2P networks: To build up their music library of music files, they downloaded them from P2P networks and then re-encoded them.
what good would re-encoding them do? surely the sound quality is only going to be as good as the source, so if they downlaoded a naff copy from kazza then it will still be naff once re-encoded

III - JetGroove is not British, but a Russian company:
a- They are renting a British address in London at "Douglas Company Services", http://www.douglas-cs.co.uk/, to show they are legit and an English company.
lots of legit companies do this. i cant see what the big deal it. do you personally have a problem with russians?

V - Their website has been built by the following Russian webdesign company http://www.suponix.com which is using the same tricks as JetGroove to fool people on where they come from. They are a Russian company from Odessa, Russia, and try to show they are American.
i dont see how this has any relavence to the record industry

VII - Be aware that there is a rumour of scam for credit card details.
probably started by another online record store to further put of potential jetgroove clients. i cant possibly see how anyone could have spotted such a fraud this early on into jetgrooves business (especially considering they didnt even have any stock for sale)

i've read all the threads on jetgroove and to be honnest i think that its been 70% hysteria and 30% fact.

schlongfingers
18-10-2004, 10:58 PM
I didn't like the anti-russian intonation either.

g
18-10-2004, 11:56 PM
it may not be anti-russian rhetoric as much as it is the copyright and purchase-as-it-relates-to-copyright laws are different in very russia from most of the rest of the world.

zaalmoetlos
19-10-2004, 03:46 AM

it's not anti russian at all it just shows you they are not an english company, trying to make everybody believe they are. This in combination with all the other factors makes them dodgy to say the least. If u want to read some sort of racism into it be free, but then you're missing the point. For all i care they could be from mars and then u could insert mars/marsian where it says rusia/rusian

TiagoTechnoHead
19-10-2004, 04:27 AM
I ´m often using it and I´ve already talked to two guys that were selling some tracks , but they out now ( i have not seen them anynmore) . It was only new releases, sorted by day, month and year !! I got angry , I remember ... :rambo: :nono: There are guys trying to make some money, without pay nothing !!!

Who uses Soulseek , pay atention !! Let´s hack them !!

schlongfingers
19-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Who cares that they aren't English - it's hardly any kind of guarantee is it. It was clearly a Russian site, if they were trying to apppear English then I doubt they would have used Russian names as contact points.

@ Tiagotechnohead - they WERE NOT selling anything - all that was available was short clips.

Anyway, I'm bored to the back teeth - I only buy vinyl anyway ffs.[/i]

tocsin
19-10-2004, 06:17 PM

Well, here is something to keep in mind. Russia is very much a hotbed of internet scamming at the moment which is connected to organized crime. I haven't looked at the site really. But, a friend of mine who also had his material for sale on there was pissed because they were allowing you to purchase a minimum $20 cash credit towards purchases so that, when they came available, you could just download them. I'm sorry, but that is a ****ing scam if they've never contacted the artists and are using their tracks as an incentive to get people to purchase a line of credit with them. How was the line of credit purchased? On the web with a CC#. Is it so farfetched to think that a company with unethical and illegal practices might not be doing something with that credit information as well?

schlongfingers
19-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Well, here is something to keep in mind. Russia is very much a hotbed of internet scamming at the moment which is connected to organized crime. I haven't looked at the site really. But, a friend of mine who also had his material for sale on there was pissed because they were allowing you to purchase a minimum $20 cash credit towards purchases so that, when they came available, you could just download them. I'm sorry, but that is a **** scam if they've never contacted the artists and are using their tracks as an incentive to get people to purchase a line of credit with them. How was the line of credit purchased? On the web with a CC#. Is it so farfetched to think that a company with unethical and illegal practices might not be doing something with that credit information as well?

I had quite an in depth look at the site, and it was clearly written that the requested material was unavailable BEFORE the offer to purchase credits was displayed - sorry, but I can't believe that many people would pay until they knew for SURE they could purchase what they wanted.

I think too much effort has gone into this in terms of design and development for it to be a short term card harvesting operation - the development company has bases in two US cities as well as Russia and a client base that many design agencies would be highly envious of. I doubt they would risk contracts likely to be worth tens of thousands of pounds for a few thousand credit card details.

No what you are saying is not farfetched, but it wouldn't be farfetched if the company was based in the US, or the UK, or any other country in the world. Using a credit card on the internet is dangerous full stop. Luckily cards have good fraud coverage these days!

MangaFish
19-10-2004, 09:07 PM
i totally agree with s.fingers on this.

i see it as is an innocent marketing gimmick which massively back fired. i dont agree with their tactics, but i give them credit for doing something a little different and it wasnt such a bad idea in theory.

Business’s NEED to stick their necks on the line with new marketing strategies once in a while otherwise economy simply wouldnt evolve and grow.

i'm sure if more people took time out to read the documentation on this and descussed rather then accused the situation at hand, there wouldnt be so much panic and there cirtinally wouldnt be 5 threads on BOA with people saying the same thing over and over again.

tocsin
19-10-2004, 09:36 PM
I had quite an in depth look at the site, and it was clearly written that the requested material was unavailable BEFORE the offer to purchase credits was displayed - sorry, but I can't believe that many people would pay until they knew for SURE they could purchase what they wanted.
Actually, didn't you have to add the song to your cart before you were told if it was unavailable? The store-cash option was something different which someone may have been inclined to purchase before even checking if all the titles they wanted were available. In the end, it doesn't really matter what the site may have said to begin with. They were listing tracks in their database which hadn't even been released. Why assume "best intentions" of an outfit that has already gone a sketchy route? Usually, the worst intentions end up being the truth which is why I don't think suspicions of credit card fraud are farfetched.

No what you are saying is not farfetched, but it wouldn't be farfetched if the company was based in the US, or the UK, or any other country in the world. Using a credit card on the internet is dangerous full stop. Luckily cards have good fraud coverage these days!

Yet, recently, a number of card harvesting operations, through a number of tricks, have been coming out of Russia all supposedly connected to organized crime. Hence, I don't see where any allegations were "anti-Russian." I honestly don't know the laws surrounding fraud in Russia and how well their police are able to enforce them. I already know it happens in the US as I've gotten hit on multiple cards with charges from "FunCo" for shit I haven't bought. As far as I know, all they have is a legit CBI account or something similar. Anyone with a little bit of time on their hands can do web design.

schlongfingers
19-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Actually, didn't you have to add the song to your cart before you were told if it was unavailable? The store-cash option was something different which someone may have been inclined to purchase before even checking if all the titles they wanted were available. In the end, it doesn't really matter what the site may have said to begin with. They were listing tracks in their database which hadn't even been released. Why assume "best intentions" of an outfit that has already gone a sketchy route? Usually, the worst intentions end up being the truth which is why I don't think suspicions of credit card fraud are farfetched.

Yes you had to click on purchase or whatever - I see your point. But really that's down to the user - if they are going to give someone their credit card details without checking the service out thoroughly first then they aren't going to get on with the internet very well in the long run. It's a jungle out there.

I don't think that 'the worst intentions [usually] end up being the truth', I do think that people always suspect the worst however.

Only time will tell whether Jetgroove is illegal or a scam any more - the same argument could be applied to ANY website. It takes only one weak link in a chain to scam an e-commerce website - just one trusted programmer with access to the source code of any major online stores can insert one line of code (or less) and cream off credit card details for every single transaction - even if this was in place for only 8 hours the profit would be stupendous. A little bit of data shuffling with other scammers to put the fraud squad off the scent and sell the data on... yes there is huge profit to be made in scamming cc details, but it can (and probably is regularly) be done in a far less traceable, far more profitable manner than building a propreitory mp3 download service targeted at independent record labels.

Yet, recently, a number of card harvesting operations, through a number of tricks, have been coming out of Russia all supposedly connected to organized crime. Hence, I don't see where any allegations were "anti-Russian." I honestly don't know the laws surrounding fraud in Russia and how well their police are able to enforce them. I already know it happens in the US as I've gotten hit on multiple cards with charges from "FunCo" for shit I haven't bought. As far as I know, all they have is a legit CBI account or something similar.

I'd venture that in the west we are a lot more likely to hear of Russian, African or South American based scams than of US, Europe or Australian based ones. However I am not convinced that there are less fraudsters in the west than there are elsewhere (take a look at http://63.240.81.5/phpBB2 for an insight into the methods of western based fraudsters - they are prevalent). If I'm talking honestly I think that it makes sense for the (what I consider to be government controlled) media to hype up fear of foreign fraudsters - it encourages the populace to buy from established brands and businesses within their own countries, therefore benefiting the host nation financially and maintaining a 'healthy' xenophobia.

Anyone with a little bit of time on their hands can do web design.

Cheers mate, that's the last 6 years of my life down the drain :lol: But seriously, if 'anyone' could do web design, and more pertinently in this case web development, then the wages in the industry would not be as high as they are.

MangaFish
19-10-2004, 10:29 PM

anyone if a little bit of time on their hands can do an amaturish web design but how many people can do a professional web site like this?
its a bit more than a coffee break job

tocsin
20-10-2004, 03:08 PM

anyone if a little bit of time on their hands can do an amaturish web design but how many people can do a professional web site like this?
its a bit more than a coffee break job

So, you mean you've never seen online criminal ventures/organizations with flashy websites? The warez kiddiez seemed to have that shit down to a science for awhile now. To be honest, I don't really care either way. Looks, however, are never indicitive of anything other than that the site looks good. I've gotten a number of "professional" sites trying to slip me the byte verify trojan in the past. Until I see otherwise, I'll assume the worse. Not saying you have to. But, in my current reality construct, that's how it generally works out when it comes to companies engaging in illegal behavior.

278d7e64a374de26f==