PDA

View Full Version : The REAL American Techno Scene Thread.

MARKEG
09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
OK, look the last Amercian techno scene thread got slightly out of hand. But I felt a real passion in everyone who replied. Loved reading it. Is there a way everyone can keep totaly above board and just talk about the topic??? As a DJ from Europe who's played many times in the US (and met some superb people may I add) I find this topic so fascinating.

I personally need to know these answers...

Why is it the techno scene in the US is as low key as it is in the UK? After all, techno originated from the US.

Who are the players in the US techno scene right now? Can someone break it down for those of us over here in Europe?? Of course you're gonna have your usual suspects but who's really turning heads and why? Where's the strongest movements right now?

And finally, let's continue the discussion from the last thread. How are you guys gonna forward your scene.

Come on, let's talk serious about this. This is a real important thread...

Ian
09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
It is what it is.

It can get better or worse. But it will never be on a level to shake a stick at from europe. The only way that would be possible would be to slowly seep it into the minds of the everykid in front of the tv get he/she on their ass to a show.

I went to a department store today and they were playing old house and dance music on the loudspeaker... slowly start replacing that with real techno and no one would notice the transition. Next thing you know it's everywhere and Dustin Zahn is on Trl.

Do you want that?

The Overfiend
09-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Techno will never be mainstream in America, that's a reality, hopefully it will be a sleeping giant and be revitalized, after going to last nights party in Nueva York I have a bit of faith based on the fact that many different crews were there and all pumping their fists to the same beat. Not to be mushy but it is a good thing to see people from different crews and areas coming together. That's it from the sap side. Reality is ego needs to take a backseat and if any scene is going to be created people need to work together.

Adverse
09-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Next thing you know it's everywhere and Dustin Zahn is on Trl.

Do you want that?

yep lol i'd giggle my motherf!ucking ass off.

TechnoNRGKid
09-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Most the DJ's i look forward to play are usuallys yous.

When i think bout techno over here, cant think bout too much except for T-1000 ( wich is at Whistle tonight and im not going! :evil: )
Dylan Drazen
The Germ
Mythis
But really, i havent seen much of any techno lately besides for bout 3 parties with in the last 2 or so months.
Last night was probably the best techno lineup i seen in a while wich was

OBI aka Tobias Luke
DJ Amok
Frank Kvitta
Patrick DSP
DJ Pauze
Kilo
Javs

Whistle tonight, there is a house, hardcore, dnb, and main room, but no techno room. well there is no trance room so i cant really complain.
T-1000 is in the outdoor tent...

OUTDOOR TENT:
Josh Wink, Dj Dopey, Dave Ralph, Anabolic Frolic, SkyLab 2000 Live, Michael Myers, T-1000, Mark B vs Pat Egan

Josh wink is cool also along with skylab.

No doubt id love to see more techno in the US/NY.
People dont understand it though.
My close friend, she dont like it much but im tryin to get her to like it. Throwing some hyrdraulix at her :twisted:
My other close friend though, she does like techno alot.
:cool:

djshiva
11-10-2004, 07:34 AM
i think there a couple of factors that hinder the US scene.

first, radio and mtv...these are the major sources of music for most people in the states. if it isn't available on either of these, the majority of the people aren't gonna hear it. and, let's face it, MOST people consider music as either background noise or something to listen to when they go out on the weekends. one fact i had to face years ago was that most people are not absolutely consumed by music, but simply consumers of it. plus the fact that the music industry in this country is really owned by and large by several gigantic corporations who control the airwaves and what gets played on them.

second, the size of the country...we have little pockets (hot spots, if you will) where there are groups of people really into techno, but as a whole the country is too large for techno to really take hold on a bigger scale. add to that the mediocrity of the music that gets out into the public at large, and you have a tough nut to crack.

america has never really been into difficult forms of music either. if it doesn't fit into the verse chorus verse mindset, or requires a more discerning ear, most don't give it the time of day. i keep hearing from people "but it sounds like the same song for an hour and a half". they don't understand subtlety AT ALL (and yes, i believe even hard banging techno requires some subtlety when mixing), which makes it difficult to snag the casual listener.

as far as american artists go, here are my picks:

bryan zentz
adam jay
shawn rudiman
tim xavier
gabe palomo
matt french
dustin zahn
ian lehman
virulent
kage
drumcell
matthew dear
paul birken
locutus
woody mcbride

that's what i can think of off the top of my head...

DJ Becka
11-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Techno will never be mainstream in America, that's a reality, hopefully it will be a sleeping giant and be revitalized, after going to last nights party in Nueva York I have a bit of faith based on the fact that many different crews were there and all pumping their fists to the same beat. Not to be mushy but it is a good thing to see people from different crews and areas coming together. That's it from the sap side. Reality is ego needs to take a backseat and if any scene is going to be created people need to work together.

I agree....but unfortunately here, it's not the case. I've seen it firsthand....people act like they want to work with you, act and make you believe that they are your friend, but when it comes down to it, wont think twice about stabbing you in the back to get themselves ahead. I guess that's the american way? Or maybe people are like that everywhere.....and yes, the egos on people have got to go....

The Overfiend
11-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Understood, Agreed, and Observed. ;)

massplanck
11-10-2004, 03:30 PM
bryan zentz
adam jay
shawn rudiman
tim xavier
gabe palomo
matt french
dustin zahn
ian lehman
virulent
kage
drumcell
matthew dear
paul birken
locutus
woody mcbride

What about detroit?
:nono: :lol:

kindrecordings
11-10-2004, 04:25 PM

Exactly! There is alot of fresh untapped energy in the US....we just need more people with fresh ideas and know how to work as a team. Way too many of the peeps out there like to have big heads and put up walls around them, and as a result...the scene has become weak. TEAMWORK! that is what we need....with the help of each other, I feel we can really make things happen. I thought fridays party was a great start! A great example of the good things that come when we support our peers.

kindrecordings
11-10-2004, 04:37 PM
I agree....but unfortunately here, it's not the case. I've seen it firsthand....people act like they want to work with you, act and make you believe that they are your friend, but when it comes down to it, wont think twice about stabbing you in the back to get themselves ahead. I guess that's the american way? Or maybe people are like that everywhere.....and yes, the egos on people have got to go....

that is ohhh soo true..... But i really feel this back-stabbing is what separates the professionals and the amatuers. I mean...if you f*ck someone....expect to get f*cked back. Thats the american way. ...but if u keep stepping on people to get to the top.....who is going to be left to respect you.....?????

I've always belived in working as a whole...with those who share my passion and desire.....those who are just as dedicated as many of us on this board....those that want to make a change....NOT just for themselves.....but for the Techno community. I spoke with many at the party on Friday, and it was so refreshing to hear other people that share this idea....that when they speak...its not me, me me, i, i ,i....but its we......ny....america.....all of us!.....and you know who you are. Lets be honest, there are alot of lazy peeps out there who just want to talk the talk and walk the walk. Our hard work WILL pay off!

dirty_bass
11-10-2004, 04:42 PM
....people act like they want to work with you, act and make you believe that they are your friend, but when it comes down to it, wont think twice about stabbing you in the back to get themselves ahead. I guess that's the american way?

That`s how capitalism works baby!!

I think the point for me, that can apply globally for techno is that.
Yeah, focus all you`re time clawing your way to the top, shitting on anyone and everyone, but you`ll soon find that it is lonely at the top.
There will never be another Jeff Mills, you will never be another Jeff Mills, he got to that kind of status from being there at the beginning, and that ain`t gonna happen again.
If we pull together, as artists would in other artforms, we can keep this scene vitalised, fresh, healthy, and strong, and we will all benefit in the long run. By pulling together and showing unity, people will latch onto that vibe, and want to be part of it.

eyes without a face
11-10-2004, 04:50 PM
If we pull together, as artists would in other artforms, we can keep this scene vitalised, fresh, healthy, and strong, and we will all benefit in the long run. By pulling together and showing unity, people will latch onto that vibe, and want to be part of it.

WORD :clap:

kindrecordings
11-10-2004, 05:02 PM

WORD :clap:

Amen!

eyes without a face
11-10-2004, 05:06 PM
that really is a superb comment from Steve, and i think without knowing it he has just summed up the ethos of this board

i personally find that europeans are alot more friendly towards each other than the americans, in america its always "bigger and better" if u know what i mean? this is just my observation as i dont have much understanding of the scene over there at the moment, but hopefully working with some of the americans like Xavier il get a better grasp on things

Francisco Scaramanga
12-10-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm oringinally American, and about 8 years ago I moved to the UK cause I couldent find any raves in DC at that time (96). It wasn't the only reason, but it was a persuasive factor in my decision to move. As could be expected I found shitloads of raves/clubs whatever you want to call it, and became addicted to techno, so when all my friends from the US came over here to visit, I took them out to places like Atomic Jam or HOG and soon enough they were hooked as well.

I went back to the US this summer for the first time since september 2001 and was surprised at how much some of my old buddies had been pushing techno. And at how receptive alot of people had been to it. My mate James has always known loads of people, and over the past couple of years he has been on a mission to get people hooked on techno, and he's been doing a damn good job of it. In Leesburg, VA, where I used to live, he's got a little gang of troops who have all got copies of Reason, and they are all well addicted to making tunes, as well he has extended deck sessions at his house and as a result quite a few people he knows can now DJ, and its techno they want to spin. He's been out in Kansas City, pushing it out there, in Florida, and in Minneapolis. I think a few more people like this, and maybe things would get rolling. Those with laptops, take them around with you, play techno at people, and then say look, you can make stuff like this, and show them reason. Get them round to yours and show them how to spin. This is obviously the long game, but also a good one, cause if people are making tunes or spinning them, they are going to want to show them off, so they'll be blagging loads of people into listening to it, and so it goes...

That might sound stupid, but I think there is some truth in it. We managed to make a techno scene here in Shrewsbury, where there wasn't one before. We made loads of friends, got them to a party then played them techno, and then threw another party, and did this over and over until they liked it. So to all the people in the US, I reckon keep it simple, just throw some parties for your buddies, just concentrate on having a laugh, but keep techno as the soundtrack, and get people interested in not just listening, but in pushing it to more people.

I'll be heading back to VA come springtime 2005, and we'll be doing some sort of parties somewhere. Anyone in the northern VA area, come and team up, cause we'll definately be raving, it'll be a laugh. In fact, anyone in VA interested in techno but short of a rig should get in touch with my mate, he spins techno, makes some decent music, and most importantly, he's got a 3k rig, flightcased decks and mixer, pretty much everything necessary to do a party.

tocsin
12-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Honestly, the only places in the US where I feel techno has been shrinking rather than growing is NYC and Chicago.
Both have faced some problems due to legislation and actions from the local authorities or police which seem to be
very similar to what occured around England during the passing of the Criminal Justice Act (Repetitive Beats law or
whatever you guys called it). Depending upon where you are in the US, it's a different world. In the early to
mid-90's in NYC, the techno scene grew into something that, to a large degree, kinda **** itself. People got a
little more reckless than necesary, organized crime got involved, and that really meant it was just a matter of time
befre the state would start throwing up more obstacles. In the northwest though, it still feels like it's growing
out there to me. However, the people in that area seem to have a better understand of the opportunities presented by
open space. When I lived in Oregon, there was always a party going off in the woods somewhere
which, if a policeman (usually a forrest ranger) happened to roll by, they'd just wave or check to make sure the
fire pits were safe and then leave. In my opinion, NYC has not yet fully realised the opportunities presented by the
numerous open spaces and woods that are all roughly an hour or two outside of the city in NJ and NY. I blame it on
two things pretty much. One, a general hesitance of people who live in NYC to ever leave NYC and two, the fact that
many promoters and artists would rather be pampered or make a name in the big club of their choice than as some
anonymous face off in an unknown and under promoted woods party. There are plenty of people taking advantage of the
open space but, as of yet, it's just not pulling as many people as occurs elsewhere in the world it seems. Shiva's
point about the size of the country is a factor as well.
Committee. He's got limited electricity at the moment and is connecting to the net now and then through satelite
when available. So, I haven't heard much from him as of late.
Personally, I'm a bit in cynical phase on things. Most of the crews I once had respect for that were actually
pushing it forward have all taken huge steps backwards due to a lot of unnecesary bullshit. But, such is life.
Recent turns of events have gotten me back to working on sounds that have been dormant for years now and tweaking
them into something else. So, negative influences can have positive outcomes sometimes. As for atists, I can't say I
really follow any straight techno artists in the NYC/NJ area. I'm still enjoying a number of the work being done by
all the Apocalypse Recordings guys but they are pretty much the only local label I listen to that is still
consistently dealing with US rather than European artists. Satronica and Acrosome have been doing some cool stuff as
of late. Not so much my cup of tea but I think the sound is kinda fresh. Cool convergence of influences of industrial, pop,
and hardcore/techno. However, Satronica is off in Africa right now doing work for the International Rescuse Committee and I'm not sure if there is any future plans for the Apocalypse guys at the moment. So, as far as those who I know and like in the area, it seems to be a bit of a lull period for various reasons. I'm optimistic though. The silly oppressive local politics in NYC towards anything that's expressive which just might harm some millionaire's property values, coupled with the national political climate, has been brewing a lot of tension which is likely to result in another explosion of creativity which the state won't be able to cap. I'm just curious to see what's going to provide the spark to set it all off.

tocsin
12-10-2004, 04:48 PM
BTW, sorry if the message above looks kinda ****ed. Some text seemed to be inserted in the wrong spot. Unfortunately, during the day, I'm stuck using the trusty text-based Lynx browser to communicate.

audioinjection
12-10-2004, 05:05 PM
I can say techno here in Los Angeles has been growing the last couple of years. Before you would rarely see any ALL techno events, maybe your occasional headliner, but real techno parties were rare. I gotta give it up to Droid Behavior here in L.A., they've been throwing 90% of the techno parties here and have been helping it grow in L.A., they bring headliners from all over, and people are now starting to see there is more to electronic music than trance haha.

Hopefully down the line it will be a bit more popular here (rather than trance :roll: ). But in mainstream america, dance music in general will always be hated, because its not all about bling bling and bitches and ho's

djshiva
13-10-2004, 03:36 AM
bryan zentz
adam jay
shawn rudiman
tim xavier
gabe palomo
matt french
dustin zahn
ian lehman
virulent
kage
drumcell
matthew dear
paul birken
locutus
woody mcbride

What about detroit?
:nono: :lol:

i think it goes without saying that detroit has some dope artists...

...it just seems redundant to list detroit artists when it's such a hotbed...sad to say that the city itself just seems like a competitive freakout when it comes to events tho...just an outside observation...
nothing but respect to the d tho...i'm from indianapolis (5 hours away)so i have spent much time there

Dustin Zahn
13-10-2004, 04:10 AM
It's true...much of the U.S. scene ends up becoming a dick-measuring contest. There are some serious attitudes and egos in the way of things but I feel that everyone gets what they deserve in the end depending on how you look at it. I've been saying that the techno artists need to unify for the past few years and it's finally beginning to happen.

Infrastructure and Friction Detroit are great examples. They're all really fun guys who are more or less looking to have a good time and throw a good party rather than doing things to simply get ahead. The last couple one-offs they've done they have allowed Abiotic to be a part of it and it has been nothing but good and fun results everytime. I think a few of the pockets of techno resistance throughout the country are finally realizing its time to start working together, and are working to overcome the geographical problems of the country.

Hopefully more of this will happen with other groups included. If it keeps working like this things could really fun.

Internal Error Records
13-10-2004, 04:31 AM
i dunno. i see so many people from america on the BOA forum busting their asses to get stuff done, i have a hard time believing USA techno is suffering at all.

its all a matter of perspective. almost all of us in this thread appear to live in cities with much larger techno than harcore/gabber scenes for example.

i wonder if its a part of the techno mentallity to feel like we exist in a position of inferiority.

its time to admit that the last 3 years in america have seen techno strongest since the early 90's.

S/E
13-10-2004, 04:16 PM
i personally find that europeans are alot more friendly towards each other than the americans

That is true. I have met some cool people here in the US since I have moved here, but the majority of people are not that way at all. Having recently moved here from Toronto, Canada(where people are much friendlier generally speaking), I really notice the difference. People don't look at each other while walking down the street here. It's kind of weird. That is just the way a lot of people are in the northeast of the US.

The people in our small dance scene seem to be a friendly, dedicated bunch however. Its a cool crowd to chill with, we just need more of them!

audioinjection
13-10-2004, 04:18 PM
hmmm, to say most americans are not cool is a bold statement

how long you've been living here?

S/E
13-10-2004, 04:39 PM

I have been here two months right now. I have met a fair amount of cool people, I apologize for wording it the wrong way. Perhaps its just a different culture and I am still getting used to it. I am from Canada, where strangers are generally friendlier to each other than they are here. I am referring to the random people that you would see and interact with while taking a bus or at the airport. That is what I should have said. My apologies. Maybe that is what makes the two countries different?

My mistake for not being terribly clear about my statement.

audioinjection
13-10-2004, 04:42 PM
its all good, but then again you're on the east coast, i've never been there but from what i've heard, a lot of people on the east coast aren't the nicest people

S/E
13-10-2004, 04:49 PM
its all good, but then again you're on the east coast, i've never been there but from what i've heard, a lot of people on the east coast aren't the nicest people

I've been told that by my wife and she was born in Pennsylvania. :lol:

I am also undoubtedly dealing with a bit of culture shock.

tocsin
13-10-2004, 05:46 PM
its all a matter of perspective. almost all of us in this thread appear to live in cities with much larger techno than harcore/gabber scenes for example.

Amen to that. But, I was including hardcore/gabber under the whole "techno" umbrella. I really haven't seen any big growth of techno in NYC. Clubs have shut down that catered to it. Crowds have thinned in a number of ways. This is of course a completely different perspective in that it is "scene" related and not so much "music" related. I still thik NYC has some good artists that are doing something different. As I said, I'm cynical right now but also optimistic. Once the right spark hits in NYC, things are going to change for the better. It's how it always works. I think people have grown more than sick of the interference of the state in nightlife over the past 8-10 years and are going to shake it off in one way or another in the near future. That will definitely make me happier since, as you've mentioned, hardcore/gabber has been having dificulty in my surroundings for years and I'd like to be able to play it out in public more often. :)

The Overfiend
13-10-2004, 06:46 PM
It's true us east enders are not the friendliest people.

http://www.kindkidz.us/albums/album66/hardnoize2_071.jpg

The Overfiend
13-10-2004, 06:47 PM

Amen to that. But, I was including hardcore/gabber under the whole "techno" umbrella. I really haven't seen any big growth of techno in NYC. Clubs have shut down that catered to it. Crowds have thinned in a number of ways. This is of course a completely different perspective in that it is "scene" related and not so much "music" related. I still thik NYC has some good artists that are doing something different. As I said, I'm cynical right now but also optimistic. Once the right spark hits in NYC, things are going to change for the better. It's how it always works. I think people have grown more than sick of the interference of the state in nightlife over the past 8-10 years and are going to shake it off in one way or another in the near future. That will definitely make me happier since, as you've mentioned, hardcore/gabber has been having dificulty in my surroundings for years and I'd like to be able to play it out in public more often. :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

xfive
13-10-2004, 09:08 PM

I have been here two months right now. I have met a fair amount of cool people, I apologize for wording it the wrong way. Perhaps its just a different culture and I am still getting used to it. I am from Canada, where strangers are generally friendlier to each other than they are here. I am referring to the random people that you would see and interact with while taking a bus or at the airport. That is what I should have said. My apologies. Maybe that is what makes the two countries different?

My mistake for not being terribly clear about my statement.

DC is almost worse than NYC as far as snobbyness/eliteism goes...
And besides... Richmond is becoming more of a techno hub than DC as time goes on. They lost all decent record stores... and now all those kids are coming down here to buy records.

Joseph Isaac
13-10-2004, 09:29 PM
When I lived in Oregon, there was always a party going off in the woods somewhere
which, if a policeman (usually a forrest ranger) happened to roll by, they'd just wave or check to make sure the
fire pits were safe and then leave.

One of the benefits of Oregon... :clap:

mek
13-10-2004, 09:40 PM
The northwest seems pretty laid back... I played at a party in Seattle this summer, an approved and permitted party on a federal airstrip!

Joseph Isaac
14-10-2004, 01:40 AM
The northwest seems pretty laid back... I played at a party in Seattle this summer, an approved and permitted party on a federal airstrip!

Yes, it is true, we are REALLY laid back...probably has to do with the herb 'round here...

The problem here is that so many folks are so close-minded when it comes to techno because

1) People think the rave/dance scene here is a spiritual "church" to bring together "temporary" members for spiritual enlightenment which means they only listen to shitty breaks and trance.

2) Most openly admit that they dont' "get it".

3) Are wacked-out hippies.

Now, many will reply with, "Well, you need to expose more folks to the likes of techno music." Been there, done that, and have the receipts to prove how it doesn't work...Lost waaaay too much dough in throwing techno events in the NW. Jay Denham 2.5 years ago yielded 60 people (half paid). Billy Nasty in 2001, people complained that the music was too repetitive. Its truly frustrating here....That's why I'm glad to hear that shit is going down in places like Minneapolis and what not...

djshiva
14-10-2004, 03:56 AM
i dunno. i see so many people from america on the BOA forum busting their asses to get stuff done, i have a hard time believing USA techno is suffering at all.

i wonder if its a part of the techno mentallity to feel like we exist in a position of inferiority.

its time to admit that the last 3 years in america have seen techno strongest since the early 90's.

we like to be the underdogs...riles us up! ;)

i do think american techno is at its strongest point i have seen it in years...

the producers are dope, the music is hot and the camraderie is definitely there. while there is always competition, i have felt nothing but love and support from the US techno community at large, and i think as small as the scene is here, it's BECAUSE it's small that we all stick together...

anx
14-10-2004, 06:05 AM
Yes, it is true, we are REALLY laid back...probably has to do with the herb 'round here...

The problem here is that so many folks are so close-minded when it comes to techno because

1) People think the rave/dance scene here is a spiritual "church" to bring together "temporary" members for spiritual enlightenment which means they only listen to shitty breaks and trance.

you just described my scene to a T

hilarious

Joseph Isaac
14-10-2004, 07:54 AM

you just described my scene to a T

hilarious

Hahaha......

viagratek
14-10-2004, 11:08 AM
techno needs more breakdancing bears :clap:

S/E
14-10-2004, 03:29 PM
i do think american techno is at its strongest point i have seen it in years...

the producers are dope, the music is hot and the camraderie is definitely there. while there is always competition, i have felt nothing but love and support from the US techno community at large, and i think as small as the scene is here, it's BECAUSE it's small that we all stick together...

It seems that way to me after being here for a while as well. The people who are into techno stick together and seem to make a genuine effort to build some sort of scene instead of stepping all over each other to get ahead. Their shared interests bring them together and since they realize that there aren't many people who are a part of that community, they see that it is best to work together instead of being competitive.

tocsin
14-10-2004, 04:20 PM
It seems that way to me after being here for a while as well. The people who are into techno stick together and seem to make a genuine effort to build some sort of scene instead of stepping all over each other to get ahead. Their shared interests bring them together and since they realize that there aren't many people who are a part of that community, they see that it is best to work together instead of being competitive.

Actually, that is what I don't see in my area. People play that idea a lot of lip service but, when it comes down to it and you are possibly in a slot that someone else wants, the same type of petty bickering and backstabbing comes up. I got so tired of it that I, and the others I make music with, went completely nomadic and won't affiliate with any crew. In fact, I find that the people who talk about the unity and support they have for everyone in my backyard so much to be the biggest liars. To put it simply, their actions do not live up to their words and I've seen my friends andmyself get dicked as a direct result which, later, the people won't even have the balls to come straight with. Rather, they try and blame it on you. It's even like this to a degree at a number of the outlaws. Everyone wants their timeslots and perception of stardom in the immediate area which naturally results in them stepping on the toes of others. For those of us who don't give a shit, it's not even worth playing the
game. I don't really bother sending demo mixes around to anyone anymore unless they ask for one and am much more happy working on my own music at home. I've found the whole game surrounding the techno scene in NYC to be as annoying as entertainment related stuff when I lived in Los Angeles. Nothing that I physically see in NYC speaks to any unity or support from one another in a techno "scene" and that will largely contribute to keeping it stagnant. Hell, when you have crews calling the cops on free park parties, it's a great reminder that it's not all good amongst the techno crowd. But, as I said, I'm still optimistic. However, the people who will be responsible for bringing the spark back to NYC, in my opinion, will probably come from out of nowhere and be completely unknown to most of the people playing the game in the city right now. It will be interesting to see if my guts are right and those people become swallowed up by the old game or create a new one. There were a number of crews a few years
ago that I thought had the momentum to bring this about. But, for multiple reasons, the energy faded out and they fell to the wayside.

anx
14-10-2004, 04:53 PM

for sure!!

:lol: :lol:

audioinjection
14-10-2004, 05:41 PM

hell yeah! haha

anx
14-10-2004, 05:47 PM
you guys wanna start a crew or what

i have a pretty cool panda mask

The Overfiend
14-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Seriousness?

anx
14-10-2004, 07:32 PM
sorry i have a.d.d and tend to go off on tangents like that

ill stay out unless i have something construstive to say :oops:

djshiva
15-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Actually, that is what I don't see in my area. People play that idea a lot of lip service but, when it comes down to it and you are possibly in a slot that someone else wants, the same type of petty bickering and backstabbing comes up. I got so tired of it that I, and the others I make music with, went completely nomadic and won't affiliate with any crew. In fact, I find that the people who talk about the unity and support they have for everyone in my backyard so much to be the biggest liars. To put it simply, their actions do not live up to their words and I've seen my friends andmyself get dicked as a direct result which, later, the people won't even have the balls to come straight with. Rather, they try and blame it on you. It's even like this to a degree at a number of the outlaws. Everyone wants their timeslots and perception of stardom in the immediate area which naturally results in them stepping on the toes of others. For those of us who don't give a shit, it's not even worth playing the
game. I don't really bother sending demo mixes around to anyone anymore unless they ask for one and am much more happy working on my own music at home. I've found the whole game surrounding the techno scene in NYC to be as annoying as entertainment related stuff when I lived in Los Angeles. Nothing that I physically see in NYC speaks to any unity or support from one another in a techno "scene" and that will largely contribute to keeping it stagnant. Hell, when you have crews calling the cops on free park parties, it's a great reminder that it's not all good amongst the techno crowd. But, as I said, I'm still optimistic. However, the people who will be responsible for bringing the spark back to NYC, in my opinion, will probably come from out of nowhere and be completely unknown to most of the people playing the game in the city right now. It will be interesting to see if my guts are right and those people become swallowed up by the old game or create a new one. There were a number of crews a few years
ago that I thought had the momentum to bring this about. But, for multiple reasons, the energy faded out and they fell to the wayside.

come to the Midwest! :) :) :) we are small and there is always occasional drama, but not between the techno heads. :)

Dustin Zahn
15-10-2004, 03:45 AM
come to the Midwest! :) :) :) we are small and there is always occasional drama, but not between the techno heads. :)

hahaha, yeah right. Most people get over it though. :)

krakp0t
15-10-2004, 07:27 PM
there's a whole slew of prolems with getting parties put together in ny; politics, shitty economy, lack of awareness with the music etc. i think the main thing is that it's gotten so goddamn expensive to do anything here anymore. most bar-with-turntables type venues want $8,000.- in guaranteed profit from booze sales. promoter gets stuck covering the difference if it comes up short. i can imagine people's general reluctance to promote techno when it comes down to the money factor.

i can't complain too much, that party with regis/schoenemann and rohr/verbos/joris voorn was great. only $5 too.

278d7e64a374de26f==