PDA

View Full Version : group channels

michealbr0ke
06-04-2003, 05:20 PM
hi!
in cubase sx, i've got a kickdrum channel and a bass channel. i route them to a group channel to compress them together. now i've got some percussive channels that i want to group with the kickdrum only. but i cant route the first group channel to this group, because i want to route the kickdrum only to this second group. i hope this is well put..
can some1 help me out here?
greetz

Basil Rush
07-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Maybe you can solve your problem using compressor sidechains rather than a group channel? Compress the bass against the kick using a sidechain and go from there...

Jimfish
07-04-2003, 02:01 AM
my brain hurts

michealbr0ke
07-04-2003, 12:40 PM
:)
Basil? Can you explain how to do that? I read about that a few times now, but i cant seem to figure out how to do this myself... thnx for replying

Basil Rush
07-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Mark or someone probably knows, I've not ever really used Cubase since I lost my atari ST :)

Have a poke about in your compressor options for a sidechain insert. You'd be looking to send the kick to the s/chain on a compressor inserted over the bass channel.

michealbr0ke
07-04-2003, 03:18 PM
lol :)
I always use Waves R Compressor, but i cant find such an option in it. The C1 doesnt have it either :/

Basil Rush
07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
There's blatantly a C1 plugin that does it. "C1 sc" or something in the plugin list. Never tried it with the RenComp, for some reason always do that effect with the most basic compressor that comes with the package.

michealbr0ke
07-04-2003, 05:59 PM
hey you were right! thnx man :) But now i just have to find out how to sidechain (is that a word? :S) the kick to it. But at least i know i got a sc compressor now :)

DJZeMig_L
08-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Simpler option... (never really mucked around sc in softw.)..

Have another channel with a copy of the kick and route it 2 the group u need!!

I don't really know how this matches up 2 the sc option... which is almost 4 sure the correct technical way.....

Z

Basil Rush
08-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Yeah, duplicating the kick is cool, but makes it bloody hard to mix down if you end up with two copys of the kick heading to the main outputs from different channels, you can get into ugly phasing problems and things with the tiny time differences for the sound travelling through plugin's unless your software has gods own plug in delay adjustment...

DJZeMig_L
08-04-2003, 07:59 PM
duhhh forgot that "little" detail ..lol... in fact Like always Basil is absolutly right want the Kick compressing 2 diferent settings, but u don't want 2 kicks!!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==