PDA

View Full Version : Laptop data back-ups

jonnyspeed
10-10-2004, 11:57 PM
I seems clear from the claud young thread, in the heard/club techno forum, that people aren't backing up their laptops or using secure passwords to protect their data.

Is this the case or just a small minority that don't do back-ups?

Any suggestions of good backup software? I just use winzip v9 and burn whole directories onto CD.

Antinoise
11-10-2004, 01:53 AM
I use Handy Backup and I swear by it.. I think you can use a demo before you purchase... then the purchase is 30 bucks if I remember correctly.

http://www.handybackup.com/

With Handy Backup you can do many forms of backup to the same computer, to another computer on the network or to a remote ftp. I have it set up so that one computer has a 400g raid set up. Everything from all of my other 3 computers backs up into this box. I have it on incremental backup meaning the first time its run it backs up the whole drive.... but the second time it only copies new or updated files. After you run the first main backup which takes a long time as it copies everything.. the next backups take minutes as it only coping a few new files.. You can also back up single files or single directories instead of the whole drive. You can set it to back up automatically at any interval... Hourly, daily, monthly... time of day... etc... .... I also just like the interface....

The only thing I'm not protected against is if my shack burns down or if ALL my computers were stolen at once. The ultimate solution is offsite storage.. Like to a ftp (which Handly backup can also do). That’s a pain in the ass though.

As far as passwords.. I always use a password for windows I use passwords for financial stuff like quicken.

Peace

dan the acid man
11-10-2004, 09:12 AM
it may also be worth investing in a dvd writer or usb flash storage device, i picked up a well made 512Mb usb flash drive for £40 the other week, you can get 2Gb versions :cool:

jonnyspeed
11-10-2004, 07:59 PM
you can put a password on the BIOS - which makes amost laptops useless once they are stolen as they are sealed and getting to the battery is difficult without ****ing the casing.

Also giving a couple of people (you trust) weekly copies of your most valuable data is good practice - even if you just post it to them.

peace.

Agility
11-10-2004, 08:41 PM
I back up about once a month maybe on DVD.

Antinoise
11-10-2004, 11:42 PM
you can put a password on the BIOS - which makes most laptops useless once they are stolen......
peace.

Password on the Bios does nothing. Its easy to get a HD out of the laptop and they can get all the data by just plugging it into another computer as a second drive.

The only real protection is when the data is encrypted. They are programs that you can get that segment out a part of your HD. Everything in one sector is encrypted and you need to have that program installed (and type in your password) to make it make sense. That's they only safe way against important data theft.

loopdon
12-10-2004, 04:47 PM
you can put a password on the BIOS - which makes most laptops useless once they are stolen......
peace.

Password on the Bios does nothing. Its easy to get a HD out of the laptop and they can get all the data by just plugging it into another computer as a second drive.

The only real protection is when the data is encrypted. They are programs that you can get that segment out a part of your HD. Everything in one sector is encrypted and you need to have that program installed (and type in your password) to make it make sense. That's they only safe way against important data theft.

that is the final conclusion... :cool: still sorry for claude...

Evil G
15-10-2004, 01:06 AM
i use a big heavy rack mounted pc instead of a laptop. it has 2 removable sata drives that are mirrored. when i take the computer to a show, i leave one of the mirrored disks at home, and carry the other one in my pocket. i plug it into the machine right before i play, and take it out when i'm finished.

Antinoise
15-10-2004, 04:59 AM
i use a big heavy rack mounted pc instead of a laptop. it has 2 removable sata drives that are mirrored. .....
Thats a good idea.. How does the mirroring respond when you take away its brother for a while then put it back in.. Does it work flawless when both drives are back together again? Dooes it go back and mirror data that was created while the second drive was out?

Evil G
15-10-2004, 05:46 AM
whichever drive is in the machine is considered to be the most up to date, and when i stick the other one back in, if there have been any changes it will be updated.

278d7e64a374de26f==