PDA

View Full Version : DJ or the musician?

OriginalTechnobastard
14-10-2004, 08:17 PM
I am just wondering which you guys prefer? A musician who makes great tunes or a dj that bangs out great sets?

Personally it would be cool to have both in the package, but if I had to choose one, (not to minimise the good value of a great dj) a musician always means more to me, for the reason that a dj would be nothing without him. A tune stays with you and can do more for you, then any magical nite a dj spins for you.

Although I appreciate a dj, a great tune is always the most important thing. Both art nonetheless.

Love that new Vitalic Ep :clap:

xfive
14-10-2004, 08:35 PM
I have fun mixing gear into records... people also get a kick to see that sorta thing at a gig too....

I can't really say I like one more than the other.. but I can say I'd go waaaay more out of my way to see someone if they were doing a LivePA versus a DJ set.. just imagine the PITA it is for the artist to bring the gear out... gotta give props for that.

DJing a set of just your tunes is cool too I s'pose.

In the end it doesn't really matter though... what comes out of the speakers matters.. and asses shaking matters... that's it ;)

Evil G
14-10-2004, 08:50 PM
i think that to be a great producer of dance music, you have to be a great dj as well. the first hand experience making the dancefloor move is invaluable when you get back to the studio.

anx
14-10-2004, 08:55 PM
you cant have one with out the other

damn now i have the love and marriage theme stuck in my head

Numeric
14-10-2004, 08:55 PM
i think that to be a great producer of dance music, you have to be a great dj as well. the first hand experience making the dancefloor move is invaluable when you get back to the studio.

Very much so...

eyes without a face
14-10-2004, 09:00 PM

wikid comment

there are alot of producers tho who are musicians who dont DJ or play live, Chris McCormack being the most apparent example. Some people can get the groove on without knowing or ever seeing their work go down in a club.

but in general the best producers/musicians are those who know how to structure and compose a track/song so that it really shines through in a live environment

good topic indeed

audioinjection
14-10-2004, 10:20 PM
most producers nowadayz started as djs right?

MangaFish
14-10-2004, 10:34 PM
just like a violinist would sound rubbish if his/her music score was rubbish, a DJ would sound crap if his records are crap.

However DJ is a close 2nd as it does take a great degree of artistry to work the decks + addons with great success

schlongfingers
14-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Dunno if being a DJ is so integral, there are loads of good producers that don't / can't DJ

And think about the first electronic music - the music wasn't there to play.

schlongfingers
14-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey I just agreed with you eyeswithoutaface :roll: :shock: :lol:

eyes without a face
14-10-2004, 11:44 PM
wonder's will never cease i tell the!!! :shock:

yeswehavetheright
15-10-2004, 10:28 AM
you cant have one with out the other

damn now i have the love and marriage theme stuck in my head

Al Bundy?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ying and yang innit?

S/E
15-10-2004, 08:07 PM
I like both.

Mindful
15-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Sh*t thats a good question.I cant give a straight answer to this.
I prefer to write more than to play out or mix.Or do i ?
I get a differrent buzz from both and with techno you can be as creative as you want producing or DJing
Would say its more of a personal thing to me producing than mixing IE i prefere to make music on my own where as i would rather mix when ive got somebody listening to what im doing.

I need to be doing both and one inspires the other and so on.
Im definatly a better DJ from producing and a better producer from DJing
i do know that usualy when ive been on the decks i want to turn them off to make music but its rare that i turn off the computer for the decks.
I think there both as important as the other but writing just gives me that little bit extra(or does it?)

TiagoTechnoHead
16-10-2004, 05:37 AM
A dj who makes great tunes or a dj who bangs out great sets ??? Well ,I think I have a perfect exemple for that .... Drummer !!! I really apreciate his sound .... Tunes or sets !! So, I ´m in a trouble cause I do not which I prefer.

Me ?! I´m discovering production and starting mixing .... So , I think I have no experience to say : Yes , I like more this or no , I prefer that !!!

But, ... Ummmmm , I had some beer, so , I´m sorry, I gonna answer later ....

Petduo = Hard Techno = :love: :clap: :twisted:

OriginalTechnobastard
16-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Dunno if being a DJ is so integral, there are loads of good producers that don't / can't DJ

And think about the first electronic music - the music wasn't there to play.

Yeah I agree with you on this one. Its possible to have both, but just because you are a good musician, don`t mean you`re an ace dj (vice versa). Its not necessarly a one . There is people who have been dj for years and not making tracks or people who been making tunes most of the time and using djing as an offshoot, because it`s more of a culture thing when you are making techno or electro music(also live music via techno is either too much time consuming or almost impossible making music live with the instruments used in the studio). Which springs couple of other question in my mind. In terms a dj who start making music, do they necessarily read music when they are making music? Or is it just few nice synths, drum machines, good sample selection and nice build-ups and break down ;) ?

I just find it hard to believe someone who starts as a dj, making a brillant tune, unless they spend lot of time practicing and really know and learn the keys. I suppose you get a good idea of what people want when you are djing and use that to make music but that kind of defeats the purpose of making music a bit. It should come from what you think sounds good and is good from top of your head. Being creative with keys, sounds, and atmosphere is lot more important then a how people might react to your music. Doing that kind of pigeonholes your ability to make music. Originality or advancement is a very important quality(not saying the person saying that is short of originality)

I mean a lot of dj`s that are really good, are better djs then musicians because thats what they spend most of their time doing. Right :eh: While musicians spend more of the time making music or remixes then djing after. But I guess you could have both with time.

And I find that the people who I like most in terms making music, started as bass players in a band or where in a punk or new wave band(I`m sure there is lot of drummers as well who make electronic and techno) and then later discovered their electronic music through raves and parties in their respected area :cool: .

278d7e64a374de26f==