PDA

View Full Version : Heroes X 5

Numeric
14-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Oh man...

Great to see Heroes comin back strong, Wilson, Natus and Rodell all on the same peice of plastic...

:clap:

Traxx
14-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Not a big fan of the remix ep to be honest thought the original's were alot better.

basslinejunkie
14-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Not a big fan of the remix ep to be honest thought the original's were alot better.

must be honest and say i agree,maybe its coz ive moved to diffrent styles i dunno,but this didnt do anythin for me when i heard it :roll: :cry:

Numeric
14-10-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm pursuing slightly more accessable grooves myself these days but still appreciate hard techno, especially the well produced s**t...

TRB
15-10-2004, 06:10 PM
I liked the remixes. ;)

3 nice tracks, I played Akira and GlennWilson tracks some days ago at a important gig and people liked.

gary_human
17-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Is this out? At last !!!

Mindful
17-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeh about time mr Wilson.
Will have a listen at weekend and probably buy.
Natus and Rodell are great artist allways have a listen to both of these blokes new work alltho i find Natus to be a bit samey sometimes(but still think he's great he's only a young chap asswell)both big artist for the future(or now even)

gary_human
17-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeh about time mr Wilson.
Will have a listen at weekend and probably buy.
Natus and Rodell are great artist allways have a listen to both of these blokes new work alltho i find Natus to be a bit samey sometimes(but still think he's great he's only a young chap asswell)both big artist for the future(or now even)

Check out the following EP's (from Natus) if you think his tracks are all the same, these are REAL different IMO:

Pneumatik - we want all (Form 19)
&
Robert Natus - Pain (Fine Audio 42)

Mindful
17-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Sh*t sorry man i think you misunderstand me :oops: :doh:
Honestly i love Rob Natus and ive got loads of his stuff incuding Form 19
I just meant that of all the stuff of his ive got alot of it seems to use the same basslines n drum programing please dont think im slating the guy honest im not.
Like i said both big artist for the future(or now even)
i allways listen and most of the time buy his records he inspires me in a way and i think hes a very talented young man indeed plus that samey sound as i put it is his own sound. ;) i just said it the wrong way oops!!

gary_human
17-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey steMindful - no problem - I didnt think you were slating the guy, I just thought maybe you hadn't heard it - dont get all paranoid on me :lol: - people gota have their points of view / prefrences. I was just trying to point you in the direction of what I thought was a bit different.

I aint got that much Natus stuff anyway, but the crowd reactions on Form 19 been great, yet to play Audio 42 out. I just wanted to share my experiences with like minded techno heads. :lol:

No misunderstanding - but I know how writing or even typing can be taken the wrong way - Nice to meet you anyway Ste!!!!!!

;)

Mindful
17-10-2004, 08:32 PM
:lol: yep thats me mate as paranoid as can be!!hahaha
nice to meet you too guvner,cool name!!!

right back to the subject eh!!

recoil
18-10-2004, 02:46 AM
The black cover doesn't fit with the goldish colour from remixes H1-H4 :P

anyways the record is decent but I don't think I will spin this one that often as I should.

tekboi
18-10-2004, 03:03 AM
All the heroes remixes were of high quality but this release is not I am afraid.

Craig McW
18-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Love the Akira Ishihara remix. Quality.

FUSION
18-10-2004, 01:02 PM
the glenn remix is ****ing spot on played this on friday night and it sent the crowd nuts sounds awsome on a big system :twisted: :rambo: :cool:

killarava2day
18-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Wilson is still God of hard techno.

jon connor
18-10-2004, 01:48 PM
AT LAST, :lol: IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS NEXT RELEASE, BET THE HEROES XL WILL BE STORMING TO, WILSON IS A LEGEND IN HIS OWN RIGHT, THE CHEIF OF CRISP HARD CUT TECHNO! THE GUYS A GENIOUS :cool:

"SUPER SMASHING GREAT"
" WELCOME BACK THE HEROES"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

gary_human
03-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Just got this lil jigger - cant wait to give it a spin a bit later :lol:

Been a long wait since anything from Heroes - glad they're back :twisted:

Yeah Wilson definiteley putting the T back in techno ;)

Sunil
03-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I strongly disagree. What's the point? Nothing has moved forward here, the same drums, the same sounds but put together a tiny bit differently. Putting the T back in Techno? Not a chance. I've a tonne of Glenn Wilson records, but I see no reason whatsoever in buying more that sound exactly the same.

Sunil
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
And before someone tells me they are remixes and that's the reason they are the same drums ans sounds (!), I know that... I just see little point in putting out a record such as this? You've already got Heroes 1-5 that sound just the same. Move on..

Sorry people, I just find it odd why everyone still gets so excited over this stuff. Grand it's good to mix and it has its own sound... bah, maybe I've just been listening to it for too long, but I see no progression whatsover here.

Adverse
04-11-2004, 05:49 AM

dirty_bass
04-11-2004, 05:56 AM
maybe I've just been listening to it for too long, but I see no progression whatsover here.

I have to agree with you.
Nice stuff, but if you`ve got one, you`ve got em all.

The Overfiend
04-11-2004, 06:14 AM
I think some producers have a recipe,
once you get a lil something you want more of it, there is obviously a market for it
so of course it will sell.
I don't mind it.
But then again I like a lot of different stuff,
I still appreciate this one.

Heroes
04-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Normally i dont get involved in these kind of things because i dont get to much time to let forums be a part of my everyday life, but its good to hear all the views from all angles posative & negative not that either influence me to take any path because production is a personal journey. Along that road you will please some but not all, like Mr Marley said "you can please some people sometimes but you cant please all the people all the time"

Ive spent a rare half day looking through many various threads and this site is a credit to mark hes done a good job moderating what i think is a good site. even pulling the out of control handbag disscusuions into line :shock:

Across the board theres so many good points thats a credit to the underground movement and its followers. but the one thing thats not a credit to it are the hypocritcal ones, so people lets think before we whack up comments or one image answers because you may find you fall into being one of these.

hypocrite

\Hyp"o*crite\, n. [F., fr. L. hypocrita, Gr. ? one who plays a part on the stage, a dissembler, feigner. See Hypocrisy.] One who plays a part; especially, one who, for the purpose of winning approbation of favor, puts on a fair outside seeming; one who feigns to be other and better than he is; a false pretender to virtue or piety; one who simulates virtue or piety.

hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phoney, pretender]

hypocrite

one who puts on a mask and feigns himself to be what he is not; a dissembler

just a thought

tioneb
04-11-2004, 10:50 AM

lol i remember that one or two years ago i got massively slagged for saying some people in tehno do not innovate. coz of that i just thought that the best is to ingore them and leave this music lovers enjoying themselves.

i think its better to spend our time and energy to spot on the newcommers, the innovators, and *hopefully* contribute ourselves to this evolution techno sriously lacks and needs.

some other topics mention dance music is dying, and the record sales are her to prove that (though every music genre was affected by the sales decrease). i think 2005 will be determining for the techno scene : innovate, or die.

Adverse
04-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Normally i dont get involved in these kind of things because i dont get to much time to let forums be a part of my everyday life, but its good to hear all the views from all angles posative & negative not that either influence me to take any path because production is a personal journey. Along that road you will please some but not all, like Mr Marley said "you can please some people sometimes but you cant please all the people all the time"

Ive spent a rare half day looking through many various threads and this site is a credit to mark hes done a good job moderating what i think is a good site. even pulling the out of control handbag disscusuions into line :shock:

Across the board theres so many good points thats a credit to the underground movement and its followers. but the one thing thats not a credit to it are the hypocritcal ones, so people lets think before we whack up comments or one image answers because you may find you fall into being one of these.

hypocrite

\Hyp"o*crite\, n. [F., fr. L. hypocrita, Gr. ? one who plays a part on the stage, a dissembler, feigner. See Hypocrisy.] One who plays a part; especially, one who, for the purpose of winning approbation of favor, puts on a fair outside seeming; one who feigns to be other and better than he is; a false pretender to virtue or piety; one who simulates virtue or piety.

hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phoney, pretender]

hypocrite

one who puts on a mask and feigns himself to be what he is not; a dissembler

just a thought

i fail to see any hypocrisy. heroes is a good label, i know you work hard/are real proud of it. keep it up and i know these records please a lot of people. just a thought though? maybe not every track you make should be remixed? it's just a bit redundant. i have always been a fan of the originals through and through. that's all.

jon connor
04-11-2004, 01:42 PM
just a thought[/quote]

i fail to see any hypocrisy. heroes is a good label, i know you work hard/are real proud of it. keep it up and i know these records please a lot of people. just a thought though? maybe not every track you make should be remixed? it's just a bit redundant. i have always been a fan of the originals through and through. that's all.[/quote]

DUDE YOU CANOT BE SERIOUS, THE HEROES XL REMIXES ARE SOMTIMES BETTER, AND I CAN VOUCH FOR HEROES HERE AS IVE PLAYED EVERY SINGLE 1 OF THEM AT PARTYS ACROSS THE COUNTRY. I LIKE THE WAY GLEN STILL KEEPS HIS TRACKS MINIMAL, AND NOT FULL OF EFFECTS SWISHING AND SWOSHING EVERY 2 MINUTES LIKE SOMTHING YOU WOULD GET FROM EUROPE. WHY DO I LIKE THIS ? BECAUSE YOU CAN MAKE THE SET YOUR OWN , WHEN MIXING THESE RECORDS . USE YOUR OWN CREATIVITY IN THE SET.I HAVE TO SAY GLENS TRACKS ON THESE RECORDS ARE EXELLENT FOR TRICKS AND SKILLS, ITS HOW YOU PLAY THEM ? I LIKE TO THINK THAT THESE RECORDS ARE GOOD TOOLS FOR MY SET, OF COURSE I CAN SEE WHY PEOPLE GET BORED OF THIS SOUND,THE TRICK IS TO NOT PLAY SO MANY IN 1 SET, JUST A COUPLE HERE + THERE. FROM A DJ POINT OF VEIW AND NOT A PRODUCERS POINT OF VIEW, I HAVE TO SAY THESE TRACKS ARE NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR THE OLD RECORD BOX.

PRODUCTION QUALITY ON THESE RECORDS , ARE FANTASTIC ,IT` GIVES MYSELF AND MY OTHER FELLOW WELSH UP AND COMING PRODUCERS EMENSE INSPERATION ,FOR THE LESSON OF E.Q
WEVE PLAYED THESE RECORDS IN QUARRYS,CAVES,DISSUSED TRAIN TUNNELS,INSIDE MOUNTAINS,ASWELL AS CLUBS. THEY ROCK!

ONCE AGAIN WELCOME BACK HEROES! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
US WELSH BOYS WILL CERTANILY BE MAKING THE HILLS COME ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF HEROES ONCE AGAIN IN THE FORTHCOMING MONTHS.

THE ADVENTURES OF THE HEROES SAGA CONTINUES ? : :cool:

dirty_bass
04-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Turn the damn caps of man, I know wales is a long way away, but there`s no need to shout from the valleys :lol:

Well, these records will sell, we all know this, and fair play to Glen.
But looking at the big picture in techno, we all need to take the sound forward as techno has remained pretty stagnant as whole for the last 2 - 3 years.
I mean I can play records from 3 -4 years ago, along with the freshest cuts, and there is no noticable progression.
This is a dying scene that needs innovation and change.
Rather than just endless labels full of nothing but DJ tools, that at the end of the day will end up only amusing DJ`s, wanking off to themselves, while punter, feeling left out, goes off to find something with more meaning to them.

This isn`t directed at glen, at least in terms of production, his sound is a very high standard, and has inspired the huge glut of imitations that fills up the market.
It`s a sign of respect that so much techno sounds like Punish and Heroes, but I think people like glen, who in a way, are figure heads, have a responsibility to push the sound of techno forward, to secure its future.

The Overfiend
04-11-2004, 02:23 PM
we all need to take the sound forward as techno has remained pretty stagnant as whole for the last 2 - 3 years.

I think people like glen, who in a way, are figure heads, have a responsibility to push the sound of techno forward, to secure its future.

Very good points, Steve.
I agree with Glenn as well for people not to be hypocritical.
Not one person here I am sure can tell me they never purchased a punish or planet rhythm,
Both labels which have garnered a rediculous amount of respect. I can still name classics from these labels.
Although Glenn I will be honest with you I think people want to see fresher blood on your labels.
Or even a different sound, it seems people are rebelling so to speak against the loop sound which I don't agree with because there is a place for everything in techno, which some people don't understand.
But I believe the problem is that people want to see your labels break something new again. Rather than the excellent dj tools they are known for I would assume it is time to break the mold once again.
Punish is an ill label but it has only been a handful of people, there are some rugged individuals out there making some next level shit man, give em' a chance.
The Attack People deserve a Planet Rhythm release.
Bring back Colours, and Template!
Corner the market again with some rediculously hot shit, this way no one can talk any f*cksh*t.

schlongfingers
04-11-2004, 02:50 PM
I have never purchased a planet rhythm or a punish. :neutral:

I got a promo once, but that was free so don't count.

MARKEG
04-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Well put everyone, some great discussion here. I think at the end of the day Glenn and those at the forfront of techno DO have a massive responsibility to push techno forward. I'm sure Glenn will agree. But this is the reason that this release has had so much attention: There's only been one Hereos release for the whole of this year! I'm sure Glenn will be the first to admit that his labels haven't exactly been firing on all cylinders this year, like they were last year.

Whatever Glenn's reasons for this, I think that it can only be expected that ppl may critisise this for not moving on. I think though after hearing the new Submissions which is out soon, you will not be able to say half of what is written here. And the new Compound too now I think about it. But seriously though, the new Submissions is mind blowing.

:clap: :clap:

Anyway great discussion. Makes me want to get into the studio and make something totally different ;)

The Overfiend
04-11-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm sure Glenn doesn't owe anyone an explanation in fact I think you put it best Mark in saying that the next few releases will make people stand quiet.

gary_human
04-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Rather than just endless labels full of nothing but DJ tools, that at the end of the day will end up only amusing DJ`s, wanking off to themselves, while punter, feeling left out, goes off to find something with more meaning to them.

Most of the techno on this Hard Techno forum is about people dancing to it - that's the whole point of it - not forums like this. I dont think people are going to leave the dancefloor when I put HeroesX5 on at my next DJ gig and then procede to "wank off" to it and play it at my next gig.

Heroes label has got a style and sound and whether Glenn decides to stick with the labels style or go on a new radical path, he still gonna get slated as he's at the top of the pile and everyone looks to Glenn for direction - he aint offering anything for anyone to copy or imitate as everyone seems to not like the 'loop' sound? If people want to look for inspiration and the 'next' thing Im pretty sure check out Fernando / Black Jackal / The Divide from this forum as that geezas shit is blowing my mind and Im pretty sure I aint the only one?

If it aint broke dont fix it and in my book it aint.

Im pretty sure Glenn's template and compound labels will continue to push on the radical new sounds of techno as they always have.

Innovation and change can come from different ways, not necessarialy by getting your favorite producers to come up with a new sound - I think it would have to be more through the ways techno is distributed to the 'people' or the way it is promoted in the dance venues? Maybe a BOA mixtape featuring all the fresh new talent on this forum would be a good idea in my book - the amount of people knocking out mixes on Ableton is growing and growing and I cant do it as it aint on record and I havent got CD decks yet. Can always give them out at parties or sell em for £2/£3 to cover costs?

Glen's techno will always make me dance til im in to me zim zimmer frame (not long now Im sure!!!)

dirty_bass
04-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Most of the techno on this Hard Techno forum is about people dancing to it - that's the whole point of it - not forums like this. I dont think people are going to leave the dancefloor when I put HeroesX5 on at my next DJ gig and then procede to "wank off" to it and play it at my next gig.

Don`t take that comment the wrong way, I`m not talking literally, I`m talking about the big long term picture, dwindling numbers etc.

whoa.
as I said my comment was more general and not aimed at glen in particular.
But as I have noticed when something different gets played in a set full of DJ tools, people go nuts.
Hero`s, punish etc are very good labels in their own rights.
But if you look at it like big bands for a comparison.
When Oasis music stayed the same, album sales dropped off, people lost interest etc. this is happening in techno. Sales are dropping off, less people are buying stuff, and I think innovation is needed to revitalise things

gary_human
04-11-2004, 04:02 PM
No offence taken mate - I just do jerk off behind the decks ;) :lol:

But as I have noticed when something different gets played in a set full of DJ tools, people go nuts.

Yeah but on the other hand a complete set of 'differnet' tracks may not captivate the audience so much.

Yeah I think the good thing from this thread is maybe everyone talking about the fact that yeah hard dancefllor techno need to repackage itself and put its collective heads together to tackle the next wave of interest in the sound - maybe we can make people like it coz its good rather than just wait round for the second coming?

How will the kids get into techno - the same way I did ? (peple sticking gastly pills down my neck?)

surely techno out grown being a druggie music?

G-whizz
04-11-2004, 04:06 PM
No offence taken mate - I just do jerk off behind the decks ;) :lol:

Yeah but on the other hand a complete set of 'differnet' tracks may not captivate the audience so much.

Yeah I think the good thing from this thread is maybe everyone talking about the fact that yeah hard dancefllor techno need to repackage itself and put its collective heads together to tackle the next wave of interest in the sound - maybe we can make people like it coz its good rather than just wait round for the second coming?

How will the kids get into techno - the same way I did ? (peple sticking gastly pills down my neck?)

surely techno out grown being a druggie music?

techno was never realy druggie music in my book .... was listening to gabba and a bit of techno before I got into chemicals :eh:

serox
04-11-2004, 04:07 PM
sorry guys, people going to hate me for this.
i find this so boring. if i heard it out i could guess who made it. sounds the same as what they have done before:(
the early heroes stuff i like the most. label is getting worse every release i hear:(
needs to change, move on, i want to hear some thing that sounds different and really stands out.

just not feeling it right now, sorry.

dirty_bass
04-11-2004, 05:20 PM
I think, this thread has gone a little beyond poor Glen and his labels, in terms of what we are talking about now.
But it`s good that this discussion is happening, it shows we all have a passion.
We all need critisism in techno as we are all so passionate we all think we are right.
Only when we become egotistical and stop listening do we have a problem.
Hopefully discussion likes this will allow us all to keep our feet on the ground and not get complacent.

It`s all love.

Adverse
04-11-2004, 05:36 PM
really sunil had it best.

tioneb
04-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Not one person here I am sure can tell me they never purchased a punish or planet rhythm,

eh oure right !! i own 3*punish.... and 1 Planet Rythm (oh by the way if i werent a record geek i would buy this one, "tonal path" anyone ???)...

out of a thousand records ....

one of my earliest bought records is some colours stuff by mike humphrise (there is a mispressing on the b side) and i still like it a lot =)

jon connor
04-11-2004, 06:29 PM
I dont no if it`s me but it looks like this thread has fired up peoples,brain circuits, i can see a few bombs coming out after these discussions from every one involved, this is gunna be good, and as a record collector i cant bloody wait. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

this could play a key part in the history of techno.

well done guys
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Heroes
04-11-2004, 09:08 PM
this is exactly what i meant in my 1st post, please lets look at what we say before we whack up comments, Adverse you said sunill said it best ok, and from his post he put this

"Sorry people, I just find it odd why everyone still gets so excited over this stuff. Grand it's good to mix and it has its own sound... bah, maybe I've just been listening to it for too long, but I see no progression whatsover here".

iam getting confused "grand its good to mix" sounds ok to me. "and it has its own sound" not bad either id say, next time ill make something thats a nightmare to mix n sounds like everything else :lol:

just a thought

Adverse
04-11-2004, 10:17 PM
glenn do not mistake me here. you are and always will be one of the reason i found techno to be expressive and interesting. i just don't think you should kill the originals with a remix of every track (although there have been some worthwhile remixes e.g. kowalski, the anxious and your re hash on x2). that's all. i don't see how that is hypocritical. in the end you'll do as you see fit. keep it up. people are happy. anyhow i digress completely, glenn does more for techno everyday than most people.

tioneb
04-11-2004, 10:28 PM
this is exactly what i meant in my 1st post, please lets look at what we say before we whack up comments, Adverse you said sunill said it best ok, and from his post he put this

"Sorry people, I just find it odd why everyone still gets so excited over this stuff. Grand it's good to mix and it has its own sound... bah, maybe I've just been listening to it for too long, but I see no progression whatsover here".

iam getting confused "grand its good to mix" sounds ok to me. "and it has its own sound" not bad either id say, next time ill make something thats a nightmare to mix n sounds like everything else :lol:

just a thought

i think that what means sunil is that though he considers the tracks good in themselves, he just find pointles to re-use the same formula many times.

its like a good joke, make it 10 times and people wont laugh anymore.

The Overfiend
05-11-2004, 12:02 AM
:headache:

djlukas
05-11-2004, 08:07 AM
i want my copy!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehe

glenn is allways amazing!!! congrats again glenn... keep it up... techno thanks you hehehe

Lukas

Oh man...

Great to see Heroes comin back strong, Wilson, Natus and Rodell all on the same peice of plastic...

jon connor
05-11-2004, 04:56 PM

just a thought

i think that what means sunil is that though he considers the tracks good in themselves, he just find pointles to re-use the same formula many times.

its like a good joke, make it 10 times and people wont laugh anymore.

GLENS FORMULA IS HIS SIGNITURE IN THE TRACK, WITHOUT IT ,IT WOULD NOT BE A WILSON TRACK. :nono:

I think the issue here is not about percussion,i personaly think percussion is your signiture in the track.Im talking from a dj sort of veiw here and not a producers side of one as i am no where near as good as the guys in this thread.
i would like to say though, it may be worth looking at stuff to go behind the track itself,i would not like to see the formula of the percussion changed to much , mabey it would be interesting if people experiment more with sounds to go with the track.

example!
just the other day i was inside a mountain with my mini disc recorder,in a 4000 year old copper mine, on the great orme,with a good freind and archilologist, recording rock movement,clattering diffrent types of metal and ancient tools,together. :shock:
This may sound absolutly bonkers to you guys but hey, when i bring home the sounds,and load them up in sound forge start manipulating them,they sound great and dark!,to me this is techno, i like to experiment,mabey it would be good and positive idea for other people to do so themselvs.im not saying all run out and start recording anything in site,alls im trying to say is it would be nice for every 1 to have a theme to the track wot ever you experiment with.

For me, some of heroes mixes and xL remixes have achieved this ,i no because we are lucky enough in wales to here these tracks diffrently in a more natural enviroment away from the stresses and poloticks and the club scene.we like to call glens stuff bunker tackle i leave it to your imagination.This does prove 1 thing that glen is actually inproving,just look at the last batch and wot they have achieved,i certainly cant wait to here and see wot the next 5 of each do.he may be doing it slowly but i think there is a lot more to come and mabey in 2 years time we will be dissusing them to. ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==