PDA

View Full Version : Advice on monitor speakers required!!!

neilried
15-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Looking to procure a set of monitor speaker this weekend as sick of getting nowhere trying to mix down tracks on a set of missions and a dennon amp....

Have a budget of about £250 tops and have been looking at the Alesis Monitor One Active Mk2 (http://www.dv247.com/invt/9490).

Not something I know a great deal about and wondered if any of you have used them or have any other recommendations in the same price bracket?

Cheers
Agent Ried

fatcollective
17-10-2004, 12:53 AM
for £250 mate, i would go for Berhinger Truths.

j_s
17-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Similar question + some answers here -

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24427&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=

Scott Kemix
18-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi neil,

Have a look at the fostex pm1's. These go for about £289-299. I would save up that extra bit of cash for a good product. Maybe have a look at the event's these have had some wicked review's 2.

nice one
Scott.

The Teknoist.
21-10-2004, 02:13 PM
yeah those Alesis ones are prob the best in that price range

My friends got the MK1's and its been said by many that the MKII's are exactley the same in a very slightly different box. I've not heard anything that comes close for under £500. I haven't heard them all by any stretch of the imagination, but if you wanna try and find better for under £400, be my guest - I'd love to hear em!

Theyre definatly heavy in the low range. Their sound I could best describe as 'Nutty' - kinda wooden plastic punchy sound. the highs and high mids aren't as crisp and open as your high end monitors, say Genelec's etc, but the M1's will serve you well.

IMO the Alesis M1 Actives are the best choice for you. The bass heavy sound is well suited if you write club music, but not so good if you mainly work with live bands and vocals.

Scott Kemix
21-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Just got my Fostex pm1's, put up in the studio. D.A.V.E was right, nice one for the advice, these sound wicked!

ScottKemix. :clap:

neilried
22-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Cheers everyone, went for the Alesis ones after all as couldnt find anything else I could afford that measured up...

Are very bass heavy tho as positioned too near the studio wall, heard from somewhere that blocking one of the ports is a good way to reduce the bass trap that appears to be happening.... any thoughts?

Agent Ried

DJZeMigL
23-10-2004, 10:52 AM
yep... by doing so they'll sound like if u've runned a HPF ... cutting away the lowest region of bass freq. that the M1's can handle!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==