PDA

View Full Version : Carl Cox

Louk
16-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Went to code/air whatever its called last night

saw carl cox for first time ever , my God I was impressed

what a set man!!!

James Zabiela + Paul Thomas kept it rockin in room 2 and upstairs will bailey was ace as well

Louk

davethedrummer
16-10-2004, 05:17 PM
yeah he's wicked innit!
i saw him at atomic jam a few years ago playing really tough techno on 3 dex and he is the man for sure!
i don't care what people say , i always recommend him highly to anyone who is getting into techno.
it's just important to realise that the nature of the events he does sometimes can be a bit cheesy and he'll ( like any good dj would i reckon) play to the crowd.
so avoid the big ones and try to catch him somewhere with a little more integrity.

basslinejunkie
16-10-2004, 06:58 PM
yep i agree with that.some ppl do heavily critisise him but there is absoultely no doubt he is a top class dj.ive seen him play a few mean techno sets,just a case of being lucky and being there when he does :rambo:

Dirtyacid
16-10-2004, 07:52 PM
coxy is one in a million his ability to raise the roof is second to none i remember coxy at the legendary angels night club r.i.p angels. remember some good nights with mark eg at i think it was entropy did anyone else share the experience :cool:

deCipal
17-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Even if you dont like his style of music... You have to applaud his skills behind the decks.

I seen him play earlier this year and was amazed at how effort-less his mixing is. Definately got the crowd jumping all night long.

Would love to see him again.

Traxx
17-10-2004, 03:24 AM
would like to see him a play a tough techno set, nearly always funky festival gear when ive seen him, good dj though....

Louis Theroux
17-10-2004, 04:27 AM
He has been slated for waht he has done years ago (eg. when he came to Scoltand he played well known Scottish tunes at the time, which any dj could have done) but he stil used three decks & he really knows what tunes to play & when to play them.

He also plays a lot of tunes long before anyone else & sometimes you are lucky if you ever hear them played by another DJ. (think FACT & FACT 2)

Esox Lucius
17-10-2004, 07:37 AM
the fact series were class, fact 1 got me into techno.

he can be cheesey but i agree it's where you see him, i saw him at bugged out a few years ago doing a 3 hour set and it was relentless :cool:

Fordy
17-10-2004, 01:37 PM
He is a true legend. He gets all the respect in the world from me, he rocks the crowd every time and puts as much effort in as anyone even after the amount of time he has been doing.

He knows his crowd for every event and he knows what it will take to send them home happy.

Was at godskitchen for this and it was possibly one of the best nights ive had this year. He did play some crowd pleasing tunes, even call on me at one point unless I was trippin :eh: He even carried on for an extra hour aswell, although I left at 4 thinking it was finishing then :nono:

Considering how long he has been at it and how consistant he is, is anyone better ?

Top night anyways, Scarlette Ettiene was quality before him aswell, warmed up perfectly with some quality house. Paul T and Mutiny were cool upstairs aswell.

Frank Dogshit
17-10-2004, 01:53 PM
He did play some crowd pleasing tunes, even call on me at one point unless I was trippin :eh:

jesus christ....why oh why! :roll:

romelpotter
17-10-2004, 01:57 PM
carl cox ... is da man nuff said :dance:

Fordy
17-10-2004, 02:02 PM
He did play some crowd pleasing tunes, even call on me at one point unless I was trippin :eh:

jesus christ....why oh why! :roll:

Yeah I did think that at the time but still the rest of his set made up for it.

Fordy
17-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Paul T and Mutiny were cool upstairs aswell.

Medicine 8 not Mutiny :roll:

Si the Sigh
17-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Sure is a wicked DJ! :clap:

I've got some mad sets by him on CD, ranging from his hardcore days (Fantazia at the NECC with MC MC) right through to some quality techno sets.

Legend! :cool:

oldbugger
17-10-2004, 02:48 PM
So glad this hasn;t turned into a coxy bashing post..Too many purists slate him..the man is a living legend.. Yes he plays a few crowd pleasers but i have seen him play some of the best relentless techno ever..

No idea where he gets his stuff from but i have heared sets where he just keeps bringing a better loop in everytime..just as you think it cant get any better..he drops an even better one..

****in class act (when he's in the right place.. :clap:

total respect.. everyone love big black cox :lol:

MangaFish
17-10-2004, 03:53 PM
carl cox is by far my fav DJ. sure he plays alot of crowd pleasers, but its the way how he plays them. he is one of the most unpredictable DJs yet he know EXACTLY what the crowd want to hear!

miss bass
17-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Seen him dj once, at Global this year, and nothing really grabbed me about his set. Was ok.

Stella Boy
17-10-2004, 05:10 PM
I have to agree Miss Bass. There's no denying what he's achieved in the business but I don't see the attraction. I used to enjoy his old hardcore sets and some of his earlier techno sets though.

miss bass
17-10-2004, 05:45 PM
I have to agree Miss Bass. There's no denying what he's achieved in the business but I don't see the attraction. I used to enjoy his old hardcore sets and some of his earlier techno sets though.

yeh, hes obviously where he is today for a reason!!!! and i dont exactly know it all either ;) lol

But he did actually play harder than i was expecting as ive heard some housey stuff hes played, but banged out tribally foownky shit. Wernt really my thing though.

Martin Dust
17-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I've been to see him a few times, mainly to check out what it is that attracts people - he has a massive pull everytime he comes here. He knows how to work a party, not really my kind of stuff but 999 other people seemed to disagree - sometimes we can all be too cool for school :)

Esox Lucius
17-10-2004, 07:53 PM
I liked him more when he played hardcore, still got some tapes of his from the drome in birkenhead.

oldbugger
17-10-2004, 08:17 PM
I liked him more when he played hardcore, still got some tapes of his from the drome in birkenhead.

i have loads of old drome tapes...have you got the dave graham v's carl cox 4 deck contest tape?
f#ckin awesom that :clap:

the good ol days :lol:

Mindful
17-10-2004, 08:22 PM
H :hmm: mmm Carl Cox was one of my heroes for a long time during my younger more innocent years,hes had his hands in a lot of scenes and been pivital in most of the scenes hes been a part of.
I too used to love his hardcore days but as i got older and deeper and deeper into techno(and im as deep as deep can get)i lost the buzz i could get off him.
Nowadays hes taking the music most of us love(techno that is)to an audience that dont even know what techno is whether thats a good thing or a bad thing ill let you decide cause i havent made up my mind yet but thats a different disscussion alltogether.
Imo tho hes still a DJing legend who deserves to be where he is and the best of the A listers i.e.Tong,fergie, Tiesto and the rest of them dickends but he just aint underground anymore is he.

check out his c.d. fact 2 tho is good ya

MangaFish
17-10-2004, 10:19 PM
love or hate the guy, you have to admit he really knows how to progress a set. its a basic skill all too many techno DJs lack/dont bother with

lunatrick
17-10-2004, 10:43 PM
I agree - the mans a legend - which other dj can you imagine dropping RAW and powertools tunes to 2000 tourists ( and one or two technoheads ;) ) in club in ayai napa, not just getting away with it but absolutely blowing the roof off? can't think of any!! All the purists who diss him are jokers - he's the worlds number one techno dj full stop - I know he veers into house sometimes - but i defy anyone to witness him in full flow on three decks and question his integrity....

Dustin Zahn
17-10-2004, 11:03 PM
He isn't really my bag but I don't mind having people like him around. Very rarely are people going to straight from nothing to loving artists such as Carola, Regis, etc. Sometimes he may play some of what you may call "beginner" techno but it's that kind of stuff that attracts new heads that normally may have never come about. From there they can move on to enjoy even finer tunes and styles in techno. I know a few of you dark-techno heads on here who started off playing the clubby "primevil" styled techno in your beginning so don't act like I'm talking out of my ass. :)

Miromiric
17-10-2004, 11:13 PM
carl cocks.

Mindful
17-10-2004, 11:25 PM
rocks the albert docks in orenge socks then goes and mocks ladies frocks

gary_human
17-10-2004, 11:35 PM
I haven't seen him for a few years, but Tribal Gathering 97 was a good one - I remember every time the records jumped (happened quite a few times) the crowd just went wilder !!? :eh:

Havent heard him for a while, but he's good at what he does and he plays techno tracks now and again - What can be wrong with that? Gives the chance to maybe people on this board to maybe get their music out there to the masses?!!

He's nevr been just a techno DJ to me - just a DJ who used to play good music (ie. FACT mix CD) - I wish he would play that style of stuff again, but I suppose we all progress.

Frank Dogshit
18-10-2004, 12:37 AM
carl cox can play some of the best sets youll ever witness. Hes a pure party dj. When carl cox comes to town you know exactly what your getting...pure energy and great fun,he really knows how to rock a gaff.

everytime you see the guy he always plays with the same energy and enthusiasm at every gig you see him at,no matter big or small and when hes on form there really isnt anyone better.

i recalll seein him at space closing 2001 and he played for a total of 10 hours.there really isnt many djs i can hack for this amount of time but that night he just whipped up a frenzy that had me waiting on the next track to bang in,in true coxy style.
like said previously, theres not many who can read a crowd like coxy. fair enough he drops a fair few stinkers nowadays but its probably alllowed seeing as what hes done for the dance scene over the years.

the guys a huge influence.

doc12inch
18-10-2004, 10:30 AM
im sorry to put a downer on the post but cox at godz friday was poor.

the set just sounded boring - ive always found his sets really fun and lively but this one was pants.

plus it was £17 on the door.

i spent most of my time watching james zabealia (spelling)

Frank Dogshit
18-10-2004, 10:51 AM
im sorry to put a downer on the post but cox at godz friday was poor.

the set just sounded boring - ive always found his sets really fun and lively but this one was pants.

plus it was £17 on the door.

i spent most of my time watching james zabealia (spelling)

jesus..coxy must of been bad then!last time i saw zabeila he had me asleep in minutes.

doc12inch
18-10-2004, 10:56 AM
well he was ok - was intresting to listen to.

he'd take a sample of a word saying say 'goodbye' and make it into a tune.

Kube 72
18-10-2004, 02:31 PM

yeh, hes obviously where he is today for a reason!!!! and i dont exactly know it all either ;) lol

But he did actually play harder than i was expecting as ive heard some housey stuff hes played, but banged out tribally foownky shit. Wernt really my thing though.

well honestly Miss Bass I suggest you search and get some old sets of his, I have a few and they are unreal. I saw him at the End a few times and at the Velvet Rooms and all the times he played I have never seen someone lay down 3 tracks in such quick succession, smile to the crowd and egg them on with his hand and keep this up for 5hrs...ok so Mills is quicker and I know its not his style to egg on the crowd but Coxy, there's something about him and if it wasn't for him I would not have started mixing on 3 decks.

I also like his older Space mixes where he is dropping lil louis, Hardfloor etc etc...

278d7e64a374de26f==