PDA

View Full Version : Limiting/normalizing Dj mixes?

Dustin Zahn
21-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Sometimes I'm ignorant on my levels with DJing and the volume will get significantly quieter. Is there any recommendations for real light limiting or anything that will keep the volume semi consistent without destroying the audio's original artifacts? I just don't want it to be a drag to adjust the volume in the car every 3 minutes.

Internal Error Records
21-10-2004, 01:51 AM
the normalize function on your standard NERO Burning software is pretty good.

Miromiric
21-10-2004, 10:02 AM
i always use waves l2. not to much of it though.

DJZeMigL
21-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Waves C4 with a low threshold and a light ratio - another waves C4 high threshold (basicaly just 2 kill major peaks) with bigger ratio. In the end a very light L2! ;)

Sometimes I'll normalize to 0db then do a increase gain by 1 to 2 db depending on the consistency of the wave and the amount of irregular peaks... this does a little clipping BUT as it is ocasional and not all that strong than it's just perfect 2 kill some crazy peaks!

Z

Miromiric
21-10-2004, 01:20 PM
ze migl -

is it the same if i put gains on EQ of channels to maximum and reduce the master level so it keeps out of red? how does that sound on big system=?

DJZeMigL
21-10-2004, 01:53 PM
hey hey,

Just like a normal eq. on a mixer the less u add positive gain the better, eq should b as much as possible flat (except when changing over tracks or if u are adding a particular set of sounds freq.s from one sorce 2 another, ex.. a synth line/ vocal from a record 2 another record providing the rhythm)... so if possible just use the channel's gain 2 do the compensation so nor the channel input reds out nor the master out!

Normaly if u add 3db with eq and then cut the master level U'll have basically the same output as b4 the eq'ing BUT u'll b possibly adding some distortion on the channel or just by using positive gain (most of times this just sound louder and not necessarily sweeter!)...

my 2 cents,

Z

Miromiric
21-10-2004, 03:55 PM
ok. is there any way i can program the ableton midi so knobs on my midi controller go to the end and knobs in ableton go to some specific value (eg knob on controller = 32, knob on ableton = 0)?

Dustin Zahn
21-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Oh, are you speaking of a "midi cap" of sorts? Like turning your knob all the way will only turn the actual knob on screen to half the distance? So far the only way people have been able to do that is with specific controllers. With the UC-33 you're out of luck. Unless they fixed that problem in Ableton 4.

Miromiric
21-10-2004, 06:31 PM
that exactly. i am a very brutal young boy and dont have patience with compulsive opssesive things like watching how many mm you move the knob.
i noticed when asigning midi some menu where it sais ABSOLUTE and crap liek that. maybe this is it?

xfive
21-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Man I've wanted to know the same thing ever since I played with a UC-33.... it was fun.. but you can't have too much fun if you have to worry about your volume being insanely loud if you are slamming faders around :(

DJZeMigL
21-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Just go the way round...

Use the gain on each sample clip 2 make sure they're at the levels u want so u can always go all the way up!!

What U need is an option on yer controller that let's u define the value range .. say from 0 to 80 instead of the normal 0 to 127... don't quite know if the evo has the option but mayb it does! If I have the time I'll RTFM :P ;)

Z

Miromiric
21-10-2004, 08:08 PM
i have doepfer pocket controller which doesnt have it :(

DJZeMigL
22-10-2004, 01:33 AM
"...Use the gain on each sample clip 2 make sure they're at the right levels, now u can wack'em all the way up/ down no prob with killer tweaks..."

Z

The Teknoist.
22-10-2004, 08:37 AM
I use Ultramaximizer

DJZeMigL
22-10-2004, 02:11 PM
hummm I guess U could use one 4 each club or one 4 the master but If u r so ruff with levels chances are the sound will b totally crushed in a nasty way...

So best thing is 2 have yer gains setup properly like a normal dj mixer and then maybe add a l2 2 the master as an insert!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==