PDA

View Full Version : Help! Battery, doing popping and crackly tings!!

miss bass
21-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Basically, i have all me smaples put in, in a sequence in cubase sx2, but it pops between samples. If one is too close to the other etc its clicks and pops, but play the samples on their own and they sound beauty.

Is it latency settings?? Or is it because its not the real deal?? HELP!!!!

If all fails might have to do fruity or try sample tank maybe

messyfuture
21-10-2004, 08:20 PM
what sound card are you using?

cause you could try changing drivers, not sure how to do this in sx but i'm sure someone can help,

not much help really :cry:

g
21-10-2004, 08:31 PM
it sounds like a latency or battery prefs issue. and yeah, make sure your drivers are up to date. failing that, try the battery forum in the NI forums. usually good quick info.

miss bass
21-10-2004, 08:36 PM
it sounds like a latency or battery prefs issue. and yeah, make sure your drivers are up to date. failing that, try the battery forum in the NI forums. usually good quick info.

NI ? :oops: :oops:

Yeh well its just a £70 creative one, nothing spectacular, il have a look at the settings

Jimfish
21-10-2004, 08:45 PM
yeah i have odd problems with bettery somtimes too.. :cry: but i still love it to bits..

these clicks are they just on the sounds coming from battery or are they on the whole mix?

miss bass
21-10-2004, 08:58 PM
just battery my friend

:cry:

Think i should check my battery and soundcard settings, and Miro pointed out about buffering etc

g
21-10-2004, 09:05 PM

Yeh well its just a £70 creative one, nothing spectacular, il have a look at the settings
Native Instruments

and when i say latency it's the same as the buffering issue. kinda like the other side of the coin.

miss bass
21-10-2004, 09:35 PM

Native Instruments

and when i say latency it's the same as the buffering issue. kinda like the other side of the coin.

heads or tails?

g
21-10-2004, 09:48 PM
oh, the choices. can't i have both?

DJZeMigL
22-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Might b something about a sample retriggering or jumping 2 another sample b4 the one still playing having not reached 0 volume.. meaning there is jump between different levels, which generally results in cracks and pops....

basically get a sample 2 play in polyphonic mode (at leas 2-4 samples)... DON'T use a sort monophonic (or Cut itself mode), or what ever it's called on the Battery language, which the normal mode used 4 drums 2 avoid phasing.

2 improve yer soundcards latency go here and download the asio 4 all driver (http://michael.tippach.bei.t-online.de/asio4all/SetupA4A.exe)... should work like a charm...

get a ESI (Ego Systems) Juli@ soundcard they're unbelievably good and cheap!!!

Z

DJ Z
22-10-2004, 10:34 PM
a friend of mine had this prob aswell..he's using audigy soundcard ...if i remember correctly these clicks and pops were appearing only on low freq sounds...i tried to fix this by putting these sounds on different outs(on battery)...the funny thing is it worked on some of them but not all of them...
i tried NI forums but didn't find topic for this...
;)

Kevin Gorman
23-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Might b something about a sample retriggering or jumping 2 another sample b4 the one still playing having not reached 0 volume.. meaning there is jump between different levels, which generally results in cracks and pops....

basically get a sample 2 play in polyphonic mode (at leas 2-4 samples)... DON'T use a sort monophonic (or Cut itself mode), or what ever it's called on the Battery language, which the normal mode used 4 drums 2 avoid phasing.

2 improve yer soundcards latency go here and download the asio 4 all driver (http://michael.tippach.bei.t-online.de/asio4all/SetupA4A.exe)... should work like a charm...

get a ESI (Ego Systems) Juli@ soundcard they're unbelievably good and cheap!!!

Z

I have this problem once and awhile to with Battery, only with Kick drums though. This asio 4 all driver, can it be used with a M-Audio delta 1010 LT or just soundcards that dont come with a patch program to modify its latency ie soundblaster?

DJZeMigL
23-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Nã m8.. it is mainly for low range soundcards but I guess there is no harm in trying!

Again with battery... U have 2 b very very careful with the length of notes and sounds otherwise they get cut and sound clicky/ poppy....

Use samples in a one-shot sample play type, make sure u have each pad enabled 2 play 3-4 notes simultaneasly (polyphonic)... Try these and let me know if probs persist!

Z

miss bass
25-10-2004, 03:04 PM
:evil: Its so annoying i just want to make beats and theres always something that ends up not working.

In regards to battery doing it on lower sounds like kicks this is true, i have one really bassey kick and that crackles like bloody fried chips or something! lol

Anyway, so do you think i need a new sound card? would that definately stop it?

Stressed

miss bass
25-10-2004, 03:07 PM
The samples im using btw are clean too, so its not like theyre crackly anyway, and the sounds im using are short, so reckon it could be the silly sound card

go|plastic
25-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Cubase is causing your problems... does the same thing to me too... Battery sounds just fine in standalone!

go|plastic
25-10-2004, 04:30 PM
By the way, I downgraded to Cubase SX version 1.0.5.61 and the pops and glitches are gone now.

miss bass
25-10-2004, 06:11 PM
yeh you know what, i have just upgraded to cubase sx 2!! And even that is playing up a bit

Im downgrading the bastardo

eyes without a face
25-10-2004, 06:26 PM
if its troubling u this much u shud try and find other ways to achieve ur aims

at least then u can carry on doing music whilst trying to fix the problem!

The Divide
26-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Its a long shot but you could try this...

On the top drop down in SX theres a section called devices..

Go devices > plug in information

Find battery in the list and tick the box "old host behavior" or Obh

If that doesnt work untick it and ignor all that :lol:

Evil G
26-10-2004, 01:03 AM
i don't use battery, but from the symptoms, i'm with miguel and the theory that it's a polyphony issue, with notes being cut off before they are finished playing. i would try to rule that out before spending money on a new soundcard.

yorkie
26-10-2004, 10:56 AM
i have this problem as well, i think this has been said but i think that it is due to the fast retriggering of samples e.g. having the same sample triggered in 1/32 time @ 130-40bpm.

i'm not sure if the problem persisits if you mix the part down. try mixing down a small section of the beats and see if the clicks are present on the mixed down version... that would be my plan of action ;)

p.s. loved the mix on littledetroit!

miss bass
28-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Wahooooo it works.

Now tackling latency :roll:

Hi hats sounding as off beat as mr blobbys dancing feet

The Divide
28-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Wahooooo it works.

Now tackling latency :roll:

Hi hats sounding as off beat as mr blobbys dancing feet

New soundcard needed

:P

The Divide
28-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Its a long shot but you could try this...

On the top drop down in SX theres a section called devices..

Go devices > plug in information

Find battery in the list and tick the box "old host behavior" or Obh

If that doesnt work untick it and ignor all that :lol:

The legendary 'old host behvior' box....

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/images/MISSY_BASS.JPG

I could be wrong but this fixed it for me (I had this same problem)

miss bass
28-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Lol thanks Divide,

wouldnt be good if i could see it though

;)

God im a bitch today.

Im just so frustrated, like a teen virgin.

The Divide
28-10-2004, 03:47 PM
:lol: :lol:

Dont worry, be happy

miss bass
28-10-2004, 03:54 PM
:lol: :lol:

Dont worry, be happy

Technology always gets the better of me.
Im trying to smile, i just want to make some cool beats.
Il get there one day

278d7e64a374de26f==