PDA

View Full Version : changing a leopard's spots

Evil G
22-10-2004, 06:21 PM
last night i pulled out my old breakbeat records for nostalgia's sake and spent a good 4 hours mixing. at the end i realized that my mixing style is the way it is because of the way breaks records are structured - i use a lot of eq and careful layering to keep the basses from clobbering each other, and i mix into lots of builds and drops. i think it's also deeply affected the way i lay out my tracks, even my techno tracks.

has anybody else come to techno from another genre? if so, do you find that the influences you picked up there help or hurt with techno?

g
22-10-2004, 06:42 PM
certainly. i came into it in equal parts from listening to jeff mills on the radio doing daily house/techno/rap/r'nb/industrial mastermixes and really dark atmospheric stuff from my father like the moody blues, tangerine dream, ry cooder, early philip glass and selected classical. i think it shows clearly today in what i like, what i make, and how i make it.

say hello to Mr. Kirk for me. ;)

Evil G
22-10-2004, 08:54 PM
ya, i've got lots and lots of musical influences outside of techno, but what i was trying to get at was the 5 years of being a breaks dj, and how i seem to have picked up some habbits from that and they don't all translate well to techno. i have a hard time with the continuous groove thing. i'm always chopping things up.

DJZeMigL
23-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Don't follow other peoples "rules" make yer influences work 4 ya, do what u feel is right, sorry for paternising U but U should b pround of doing things a little different, u just have 2 find a way of making them work within what u are doing...

my 2 cents..

Z

Evil G
24-10-2004, 09:15 PM
cheers for that dr migl. :doh: two aspirin and some breakbeats in the morning it shall be.

dirty_bass
24-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I came to techno from industrial.
I would say it affected the way I treat my sounds, and some of the dark melodies I use I guess.

278d7e64a374de26f==