PDA

View Full Version : producing with headphones?

hiroprotagonist
25-10-2004, 10:21 AM
im postwhoring today so get used to it. ;)
right now i live in a flat that doesnt have the best sound protection and as such dont have to ability to hook my rig up to monitors (and im broke and cant afford any.) whats everyones thoughts on producing with headphones? or the best way to get a decent sound while doing so?

eyes without a face
25-10-2004, 01:08 PM
i try and get the sounds nailed during the day at workable volumes then do most of my sequencing in the headphones at night.

i personally dont like using headphones because of the false sense of sound it gives, i like to hear the stereo spread in full and headphones hurt my head after a while anyway

you should definately not produce finished tracks in the headphone i would say

The Teknoist.
25-10-2004, 02:58 PM
i try and get the sounds nailed during the day at workable volumes then do most of my sequencing in the headphones at night.

i personally dont like using headphones because of the false sense of sound it gives, i like to hear the stereo spread in full and headphones hurt my head after a while anyway

totaly agree

hiroprotagonist
25-10-2004, 04:07 PM
damn ok well i dont even have speakers here. i had to leave them back at home. and they werent even that good. i guess ill just have to make do with what i can find....or something.....

audioinjection
25-10-2004, 05:53 PM
as far as mixing goes, dont use headphones, if youre in the sequencing stage i dont see a problem

g
25-10-2004, 11:31 PM
you don't need to hear the same thing yet again.. .but so what :evil:

you can probably compose/sequence just fine with headphones for a while but don't mix down without hearing it in real stereo. you'll be shocked at the difference.

detfella
26-10-2004, 12:25 AM
i must buy some decent speaks, i arrange & mixodwn thru headphones. :crackup:

jake
26-10-2004, 02:23 AM
ive heard good tracks mixed on headphones..

yorkie
26-10-2004, 10:52 AM

agrred as well, getting the structure of your track together is a fine idea through headphones, but for a proper mixdown use speakers. I also work through headphones at later hours so as not to disturb my neighbours. It is good to listen to your music through both speakers and headphones i recon to get a feel for the track.

hiroprotagonist
26-10-2004, 01:38 PM
definetly agree with you there. i guess ill just sequence everything and leave it until i can get some decent speakers... :neutral:

Scott Kemix
26-10-2004, 02:22 PM
defo got to mix down on a pair of nearfield monitors. I suppose headphones are good for panning out samples and placing certain riffs around the stereo field.

DJZeMigL
26-10-2004, 08:36 PM
with headphone u get a totally twisted sense of stereo and levels!

Even if u have crappy monitors they are still resonable if u somehow find a midpoint of compromise between them and the HPs..

HeadP. for eq., and sequencing.. monitors for mixing / pre-mastering!

Z

hiroprotagonist
26-10-2004, 08:51 PM
thanks ze. maybe i can convince the g/f to buy me some mid range monitors for my bday. she got me a drum machine two years ago so its worth a shot :clap:

eyes without a face
27-10-2004, 12:33 PM
I suppose headphones are good for panning out samples and placing certain riffs around the stereo field

exactly the opposite mate, headphones give the worst sense of stereo u can have

go with Ze's advice and wont go far wrong!

loopdon
27-10-2004, 02:13 PM
i must buy some decent speaks, i arrange & mixodwn thru headphones. :crackup:

me, too, and if you had very bad speakers before and then good headphones it can elevate your producing skills. Nevertheless, I have ordered a pair of Tapco-S8 s :cool:

....and they should have been here today :roll:

Scott Kemix
27-10-2004, 11:00 PM
exactly the opposite mate, headphones give the worst sense of stereo u can have

i know mate, that is why i dont use them at all. But if you pan certain samples to the left or the right of the stereo field for example, this is where they will be present whether it is in headphones or through nearfields.

Cheers.

davethedrummer
28-10-2004, 01:20 AM
it's really easy to forget how loud you are going with headphones too
watch your ears if you are using them
take frequent short breaks from the noise
and definately don't get into a mix using them.

markus
31-10-2004, 12:13 AM
I couldn't possibly imagine using anything other than studio monitors. I'm too used to the accuracy they provide.

But I know that some people are actually able to make some damn good tunes using headphones. Ian Lehman for an example, he has been only using headphones to make his tracks. I don't know how the hell he manages to get such a great sound when only using headphones, but he does it!

Personally I don't think he's human :lol:

hiroprotagonist
31-10-2004, 07:12 PM
last night i was laying down a sequence and forgot that all of my laid out sounds were really quiet and i had turned the volume up pretty high. i went to select an audio track to plug in that wass at normal levels and really hurt my ears.
yet another bummer when working with headphones. ill check my levels next time. :doh: :clap:

djshiva
01-11-2004, 07:22 AM
i can honestly say that i learned using headphones and thought i was getting a better sound than i was. going backnow and listening to all of the stuff made in headphones, some of it is better than i expected on a great set of monitors, but for the most part...

...not so hot.

do yer sequencing in headphones, but if you don't have proper monitors for mixdown...go to someone's house who does. you will be happy you did.

Scott Kemix
01-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Why sequence in headphones? :doh:

dan the acid man
01-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Why sequence in headphones? :doh:

some of us have got neighbours who dont like hearing techno playing after 8 at night when their kids are in bed

eyes without a face
01-11-2004, 09:33 PM
WORD

i usually use the daytime to get the main body of the track buily up and sounding sweet thru the monitors then do some sequencing late at night in the headphones

DEVICE
06-11-2004, 04:35 PM
as far as mixing goes, dont use headphones, if youre in the sequencing stage i dont see a problem

I would have to agree with that one.

278d7e64a374de26f==