PDA

View Full Version : remixing fatboy slim and having issues with content....

hiroprotagonist
31-10-2004, 07:16 PM
i decided that i would take this as a personal challenge to recreate something dark and soul-less sounding from a typical fatboy slim track. i went to work last night for the first time in a year writing music.
after horrendously tearing apart all of mr. slims' samples and giving myself a good base i began forming a new percussion section from snippets of his samples. after creating some nice hits and percussive noises i found myself and the original samples really lacking in the punch i really wanted for my track.
heres where i hit an ethical dilemma. i added some sequenced soft synth lines to beef up the BD and the snare. then i went and plucked out a halfway decent bassline to follow suit.
my problem is that i want to really confine myself to only using the samples i was given and see where it can get me. i dont plan on entering this into the contest but i feel guilty having to resort to alternate sound sources.
:oops:
your thoughts?

MangaFish
31-10-2004, 07:29 PM
i thought the samples were pretty shit. there was only a couple that i though i could make any use of

hiroprotagonist
31-10-2004, 07:47 PM
agreed. i didnt go into this thinking i would make anything with a simple 4 beat techno rhythm. by mangling the samples ive come up with a pretty decent range of experimental glitches and FX. add those to echoy pads and nice glitchy percussion i have the makins of a nice experimental track.
the samples are crap though. i found myself wondering how he makes hit after hit with samples like that. that cant be all there is to it.

can it???

Evil G
31-10-2004, 09:32 PM
a guy named simon thorton actually has a lot more to do with the production of fat boy slim's tracks than norman cook does. i'm sure he processes the hell out of the crappy samples given to him.

jesus
31-10-2004, 11:04 PM
yeha all the samples are shit. most just seem to be nicked loops, and the actually synth bits are wank. done a remix though ill post tomorrow .

slavestudios
03-11-2004, 04:38 AM
i finished my FBS remix tonite.... only used his samples & got a real nasty broken beat track rollin...

used Sound Forge 6 & Acid Pro 4 & nowt else.. just overloaded the **** outta any loops i picked out & drenched the synth parts in reverb & pitched them down 3 octaves to create crunchy background noise...

great little exercise..

god knows what he'll think of it.. think Mayhem Men v BMB :twisted:

also remixed NIN, L7, The Prodigy, Luke Vibert... got my code for a Stigmata remix as well & then theres the Orbital remix in Future Music this month..

REMIX A GO-GO :lol:

hiroprotagonist
03-11-2004, 09:23 AM
lets hear it ;)

loopdon
03-11-2004, 10:06 AM
i finished my FBS remix tonite.... only used his samples & got a real nasty broken beat track rollin...

used Sound Forge 6 & Acid Pro 4 & nowt else.. just overloaded the **** outta any loops i picked out & drenched the synth parts in reverb & pitched them down 3 octaves to create crunchy background noise...

great little exercise..

god knows what he'll think of it.. think Mayhem Men v BMB :twisted:

also remixed NIN, L7, The Prodigy, Luke Vibert... got my code for a Stigmata remix as well & then theres the Orbital remix in Future Music this month..

REMIX A GO-GO :lol:

errh, stigmata remix. iz you talkin abot that ableton live mix-set thingie?
because i don't know about any other competition regarding the stigmata topic. or have i missed something?

278d7e64a374de26f==