PDA

View Full Version : Bass Stations

fatcollective
02-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Ive just been giving the option of buying a novation bass station and a akai VX 90. Apart from the akai being nearly antique is there anything i should know before parting with my hard earned?
Thanks guys

dirty_bass
03-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Your not buying these from Dave Sad Bastard are you?
The bass station I would recommend.
the VX-90 is a crazy old piece of kit, that you can get some real gnarly sounds from.

RDR
03-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Note sure about the VX90, but i have owned two bass stations, and i both loved and hated them. Stunning bass noises, but forget about giving the damn things any sysex or more than 2 controller messages a year. On the positive side there is a freeware software front end out there for the bass station that you can use to store patches, they only hold 8 or 9 user presets and both mine seemed to take great delight in losing them just at the wrong time...

dirty_bass
03-11-2004, 01:52 PM
yeah, the bass stations did have a habit of blowing your settings off now and again.
Dave Sad Bastard had one in his live kit, and it quite often threw up his presets in the middle of a set.

JE:5
04-11-2004, 02:22 AM
but forget about giving the damn things any sysex or more than 2 controller messages a year..

I used to send a shit load of controller messages to my bass station keyboard when I used to sequence it on my Atari ST, it used to freak out and crash but it would sometimes make the most crazy sounds, almost sounding like an FM synth at times.

DJZeMigL
04-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Bastation is a very cool Midi controler for yer software aswell! :P

Z

RDR
04-11-2004, 01:41 PM
hahaha

like the atari comment. I guess it depends on the sysex, funnily enough mine never did that, it just reset every patch to saw wave, no mix to osc 2 and turned itself up super loud.

I once heard it said that joey? from Eat Static called it the treble station and trashed one on stage cos he hated it that much.

is it true? anyone know?

DJZeMigL
04-11-2004, 04:16 PM
are u guys taking about the first kb version or the rack versions?

Z

RDR
05-11-2004, 03:06 PM
the KB version, i had 2. They took batteries as well. I used to go out to the woods (no shit...sic!!) and take my tr505 which also ran on batteries and some beer and other nice stuff and write music. (summer only ..)

Fun.

BTW Miguel, are you not coming over to Pure Techno soon??? Gary and Maile mentioned something but i forget ...

DJZeMigL
05-11-2004, 05:10 PM
ahah U'd Luv 2.. I think u gotta talk 2 mailey 'bout that though! :)

Now U can just take yer pc and some HPs... :P Although the Laptop batery dies preatty fast :(

Never had any probs like the one's u guys described with rack versions!

Z

fatcollective
05-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys it all makes interesting reading. Think i'll probably take the offer as i could do with some cheap hardware. Thanks again ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==