PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an entry level midi controller...

Greg Dee
03-11-2004, 02:45 AM
The topic describes it all. I want the best midi keyboard i can get my paws on for under $200 USD. What do you guys recommend? I'm a total noob to all of this and I want something that can do as many things as $200 will get you, as well as having some quality in the product.

RDR
03-11-2004, 12:41 PM
have a look at the evolution mk-249c. Not a bad k/b. I have used this in the studio, in the classroom with ham fisted students and in a live scenario for ages now. Never had a problem.

You can also get a free software front end from evolution so you can edit the controllers hassle free.

HTH

Internal Error Records
03-11-2004, 12:50 PM
oxygen-8

hiroprotagonist
03-11-2004, 01:12 PM
i cant remember how much i got mine for (i get deals) but i got my keystation49 and its doing really well. i have no complaints as of yet. im not a keyboard player so the velocity sensitive keys can get annoying but they can be turned off in a sequencing program.
knobs are sturdy and best of all it leeches power from my usb when im on the go (although why i would be on the go with a 49 key keyboard is beyond me) it does come in handy in the UK where i dont have the right power supply...
as cheaper than the ozone and more buttons and knobs. doesnt come with a sound card built in though.

Debroglie
03-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Don't get an Edirol PCR-30 , mine has 5 dead keys 1 month after the warranty finished and I'm no Keith Emerson , now they want a fortune to repair it.

audioinjection
03-11-2004, 10:06 PM
oxygen8, they're about $139

scienceofuse
04-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Depends whether you've had some training in piano playing, because two octaves aren't gonna be enough if you have at least some skill on the keys... Maybe you need a bigger octave range just for experimentation? However, if two octaves are enough and you basically just want to program some bass or lead lines on there, the Oxygen8 is the way to go - I have it and it rocks!!! Some people I know use Edirol controllers, but for the price, Oxygen8 is a smart buy and has some real value to it - it's small and practical and ideal for use with a laptop on the go... :love:

Mitch Generator
04-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Don't get an Edirol PCR-30 , mine has 5 dead keys 1 month after the warranty finished and I'm no Keith Emerson , now they want a fortune to repair it.

Agreed , two of my faders died about 3 months after purchase, and Im no DMC champ

Greg Dee
04-11-2004, 06:24 PM
ok, ive narrowed it down to these 2

Evolution MK425C
http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/MK425C-main.html

and the Oxygen 8
http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen8-main.html

which to choose?

DJZeMigL
04-11-2004, 06:30 PM
u can't go 2 wrong with any of those..

I would go for the evolution!

Z

schlongfingers
04-11-2004, 11:54 PM
looks good, can anyone recommend one with sliders too?

eyes without a face
05-11-2004, 12:38 AM
i got the Evolution MK 449c about 2 months ago

4 Octave, 9 sliders! 8 rotary knobs and loads more, really wikid midi controller and i dont know how i used to manage without it!

miss bass
08-11-2004, 09:18 PM
That Oxygen 8 looks cool.

Once ive sold my piano, definately going to get some type of midi keyboard. Not sure whether id benefit with lots of keys or not. Its tough to judge if il ever need to use more than 2 octaves in the future.

xfive
08-11-2004, 09:35 PM
I think you can find much higher quality than an Oxygen 8... I've got one.. it's alright... something that randomly changes midi values without me touching it is sketchy in my book though.

:shock:

Evil G
08-11-2004, 09:43 PM
I think you can find much higher quality than an Oxygen 8... I've got one.. it's alright... something that randomly changes midi values without me touching it is sketchy in my book though.

:shock:

my oxygen does that too. it's a handy device, but not the greatest. the keyboard is pretty lame, actually (cheap and plasticy and the keys don't bounce back fast enough to play crisp patterns).

xfive
08-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeah... the Novation ones look pretty badass... _covered_ with controls... you get what you pay for. Some of the Evolution ones look dandy as well.

278d7e64a374de26f==