PDA

View Full Version : Personal Remix Question

slavestudios
03-11-2004, 03:53 AM
do y'all think its right or wrong to play out personally made studio edits of records or cds youve bought if its purely for personal use & not to sell on to labels or websites ?

ive been remixing all sorts lately (from Fatboy Slim to L7 to NIN) jus as an exercise to work out how to make techno from anything without using external sound sources. only Sound Forge & Acid Pro...

ive got about half a dozen techno remixes now which i WILL be playing out whilst idj but no trax will be sent off as demos to labels. maybe the label of the original artist.. maybe, but not likely..

as far as im concerned, every cd or record was payed for by me & as long as no-one has the remixes other than me, i dont see a (moral) problem although it probably is illegal...

anyway, if Surgeon can do it waith Ableton, why cant i ;)

but, jus wondering where ppl stand on this in general

Evil G
03-11-2004, 04:05 AM
whoever can cheat the best wins.

if you are doing something that adds to the track, whether it be it using the dj mixer at the show, or using your studio before hand, then that's a leg up on the dj's who just play records straight. as long as you aren't selling the track i see no problem.

Internal Error Records
03-11-2004, 04:51 AM
go nuts with whatever gets your rocks off.

technically speaking its illegal to publically perform/dj ANY track made by someone who isnt you. unless of course you have written permission.

a year or two back i was in a dj booth of a club owned by Disndey World, the djs had a log to write down every track they spun, so the club manager could later send a check to the artist/label that released the record.

zaalmoetlos
03-11-2004, 10:05 AM
i don't see any harm in that at all i i think when more people will start using ableton to perform a lot of this will be happening anyway

GAMMA303
03-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Yea i think thats pretty much on the up and up.

Most people would account that to being way more original then actual DJing because you are playing something you had a hand in. i think its great!

MangaFish
03-11-2004, 09:02 PM
i think its great when people edit other tracks to make it fit in with their own particular style. i dont think anyone would hold it against you (as long as they do the original tracks some justice :lol: )

obviously if you distribute them then thats a different matter all together

piginabush
03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
isnt that the way that the best remixes get signed anyway???

someone plays around with the original, plays it out, the right people hear about it and get in touch about signing etc etc

:cool: :cool: :cool:

MARKEG
03-11-2004, 09:40 PM
really love the idea of this. never really thought about it before until the other day i had to modify the end and beginning point of a track so i could mix it into a track it really worked with. but just imagine remixing all your records into your own edits and playing a whole set of it. would be really complex but i reckon it would be worth the effort!!!

gary_human
03-11-2004, 10:26 PM
In the Hip-Hop scene exclusive remixes are all the rage on the Mix Tape phenomena circuit - all the big artists have their own 'mix tapes' - 50 Cent, Eminem etc. Hell! There's even the infamous Jay Z grey album - where DJ Dangermouse remixed Jay Z tracks with the Beatles - check the review in Rolling Stone magazine - http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5937152 maybe the techno scene could take a few leafs out of the hip-hop book as hip-hop is at the top of the stack where dance was a few years back.

Methodixxx
04-11-2004, 02:10 AM
really love the idea of this. never really thought about it before until the other day i had to modify the end and beginning point of a track so i could mix it into a track it really worked with. but just imagine remixing all your records into your own edits and playing a whole set of it. would be really complex but i reckon it would be worth the effort!!!

Hawtin has been doing this for years.... I'm pretty sure this is one of the main reasons he helped develop final scratch. DE9... etc...

But your right, it does open things up to freaky possibilities.. I've been saving hard to get a new puter so I can go through all the tracks I want to change / edit... (too much of a hassle having no decks and pc near each other).. would make 3 decks a tiny bit easier having exactly when everything was going to happen all lined up and perfected... ;) but then it would totally take away from the spontanaity too...

The Overfiend
04-11-2004, 02:51 AM
In the Hip-Hop scene exclusive remixes are all the rage on the Mix Tape phenomena circuit - all the big artists have their own 'mix tapes' - 50 Cent, Eminem etc. Hell! There's even the infamous Jay Z grey album - where DJ Dangermouse remixed Jay Z tracks with the Beatles - check the review in Rolling Stone magazine - http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5937152 maybe the techno scene could take a few leafs out of the hip-hop book as hip-hop is at the top of the stack where dance was a few years back.

F*cking right on!

yeswehavetheright
04-11-2004, 04:27 PM
a year or two back i was in a dj booth of a club owned by Disndey World, the djs had a log to write down every track they spun, so the club manager could later send a check to the artist/label that released the record.

Sounds like a right mickey mouse story to me.
(I'll get my coat :oops: :oops: :oops: )

yeswehavetheright
04-11-2004, 04:40 PM

Problem is the time it would take to do that. It'd be a job to entertain you on those long flights to the states or when stuck in hotel rooms. This doesn't apply to me however, and I hardly get enough deck time as it is!! :cry: :cry:

278d7e64a374de26f==