PDA

View Full Version : What you always wanted to ask Lenny D....

penthesilea
03-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi guys...

Am preparing (another!?!?) interview with Lenny D and thought you might have some very clever/interesting questions you'd like to ask him and never got the chance...
If so, don't hesitate to give me a shout...

P.S. Heu... Don't get all technical on me... ;)

Sunil
03-11-2004, 11:49 AM
His name is Lenny Dee ;)

serox
03-11-2004, 11:52 AM
when he was dj'ing at the roller disco how many chicks did he get to bang?

was marc acardipane the main influence for Industrial Strength records?

serox
03-11-2004, 11:56 AM
also

what are the future plans for Industrial Movement? how will it be different from his own label and seb's?

penthesilea
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Serox: :clap: love the bit about banging chicks... Can I have a bit of background story???
;)

penthesilea
03-11-2004, 01:05 PM
waouw :shock:
Just had a look at a previous lenny Dee (thanks for spelling help there) thread to improve my knowledge and was surprised by what I read!!!

"now he is just making shit uk techno that just sounds the same as everything else"

:shock:

"..... that max min cocaine track is the only record he`s brought out that sound`s like he`s actually been in the studio???????? all the rest just sound like geezer,,,,,,, wtf `s goin on there??????"

Does anybody care to explain to a neophyte what that is all about?

jonnyspeed
03-11-2004, 01:37 PM
I think those comments were a bit harsh.

He has been working with some of the Stay Up Forever Collective in London, and to some people this style of underground techno is just not hard enough for them so they call it shit. As somebody else said - he's just mellowed and realises that there is still a very vibrant and happy rave scene going on over here, which we love him being part of.

Louis Theroux
03-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Lenny Dee was (& still is) a hero here in Scotland. He was the first DJ to bring that harder sound to the masses. His set at the Rezerection Event Two in 1994 is legendary around these parts, I am still listening to it today.

Could you ask him if there any possible chance of a tracklisting for this set? I doubt it very much but got to ask. If not, he played a long speach at the beginning explaining what would happen if drugs were legalised, where did he get this from?

http://www.geocities.com/roachmaterialraveflyers/rezlowres.jpg

penthesilea
03-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey Louis

heu... :oops: what's tracklisting???
(when I said not to get too technical, I MEAN IT!)
;)

serox
03-11-2004, 02:10 PM
i liked what he was doing when he started IS. after we have arrived by the mover i think he tried to bring that new hardcore sound to USA. he also did some work with acadipane later on. the mover did the first hardcore track ever and continue to make the darkest and hardest records for many years. Gabber and hardcore techno has a tiny scene in the USA, like you would be lucky to get 300 people in for it.

so, lenny dee i think was cool for doing some thing different and underground. but like how marc acardipane has now done, lenny seems to have gone a bit commercial.

he has started a new label with sebastian hoff (dj promo, third movment) called industrial movment which could be good. promo is big in holland and so is his label. they sell massive ammounts of reocrds i would think.

penthesilea
03-11-2004, 02:26 PM
thanks serox... :cool:

sorry to ask more questions but who's the mover???

And what's that bit about roller discos?

speed-it-up
03-11-2004, 02:46 PM
The spoken section off the Rezerrection mix from event 2 also appears in his mix from Tribe of Munt. There's a link on another thread on here or download it from the website.

"The government should package the most popular dopes and sell them with a label CLEARLY INDICATING what the dope will do, when insanity will start, and which dosage will be fatal".

You could always ask Lenny whether he carries a stool to gigs to help him see over the decks.

JE:5
03-11-2004, 03:20 PM

Marc Acardipane - http://www.discogs.com/artist/Marc+Acardipane

serox
03-11-2004, 03:35 PM

the king.

serox
03-11-2004, 03:36 PM

lenny dee use to be a DJ at a roller disco.

Numeric
03-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Lenny Dee was the man back in the early days of hardcore and deserves respect...

Esox Lucius
03-11-2004, 09:59 PM

and to some people this style of underground techno is just not hard enough for them so they call it shit.

thats bollocks jonny, hardcore & techno are far apart.. im not particulary into 'hard techno' i just happen to think that london techno is dire.

penthesilea
04-11-2004, 08:38 AM
so what's the difference between hardcore and hard techno then?

serox
04-11-2004, 08:43 AM

you would have to hear it i think. im shit at explaining things.

hardcore/hardcore techno changes more than hard techno. also uses harder kick.

penthesilea
04-11-2004, 08:45 AM
so what's a good example of both if I want to listen to the difference?

fatcollective
04-11-2004, 01:28 PM

The difference is:

Hardcore is about: 160 - 190bpm
Hard Techno is about: 130 - 145bpm

serox
04-11-2004, 01:42 PM

The difference is:

not really true:(
i play hardcore and doomcore that is about 110-120. (while pitch is at +2)

jonnyspeed
04-11-2004, 01:55 PM

and to some people this style of underground techno is just not hard enough for them so they call it shit.

thats bollocks jonny, hardcore & techno are far apart.. im not particulary into 'hard techno' i just happen to think that london techno is dire.

Well good job that everybody doesn't like the same music - and to say that London techno is dire is, well, just inflamitory and a stupid comment. No matter whether you qualify it with 'I think'.

The releases coming out of 'London' have got alot more spark than the (so called) 'Birmingham' scene, but not the innovation I see from 'Brighton'. But this a a niche enough scene anyway so we should be promoting not slagging people off for having differing tastes.

And yes hardcore is not the same as hard techno - and no not all hardcore is gabba

jonnyspeed
04-11-2004, 01:56 PM

Hydraulix vs. Expressillion

fatcollective
04-11-2004, 02:07 PM

The difference is:

not really true:(
i play hardcore and doomcore that is about 110-120. (while pitch is at +2)

doomcore... :dontevengothere: i aint heard of that before, i always assumed that hardcore was fast bangin music though. well it was when i last heard it anyway.

schlongfingers
04-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Serox - press the '45' button :lol:

fatcollective
04-11-2004, 02:53 PM

:lol: :lol: ....damn after all these years :doh:

tocsin
04-11-2004, 03:08 PM
i liked what he was doing when he started IS. after we have arrived by the mover i think he tried to bring that new hardcore sound to USA. he also did some work with acadipane later on. the mover did the first hardcore track ever and continue to make the darkest and hardest records for many years. Gabber and hardcore techno has a tiny scene in the USA, like you would be lucky to get 300 people in for it.

so, lenny dee i think was cool for doing some thing different and underground. but like how marc acardipane has now done, lenny seems to have gone a bit commercial.

he has started a new label with sebastian hoff (dj promo, third movment) called industrial movment which could be good. promo is big in holland and so is his label. they sell massive ammounts of reocrds i would think.

Have you heard the remix of the Alcore track he did with Satronica? I agree with those who say people are being too hard on him. Lenny Dee is not writing "hardstyle." If he was really selling out and going for the commercial sound, that would be the best route for him to take. On top of which, you could hardly call the last few releases under the IS umbrella "commercially safe."

MARKEG
04-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Well you know what I'd like to know? All about his first productions back in the day. Some really early house stuff - it was all superb. Fallout 'The Morning After'. Now there's a tune and a half.

tocsin
04-11-2004, 03:14 PM

While this doesn't describe across the board, the difference is usually noticable in tempo and use of distortion.

http://www.acidgrave.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=10
^^ That can give you a feel for some of it. Has one mid 90's IS track on it at least. Mainly stuff from France and UK. 200 BPM range.

serox
04-11-2004, 03:46 PM

hehe that is 45:)
i know loads of people who make doom and hardcore. people who have worked with lenny dee/acardipane etc

the music is real and played slow.
u can get fast hardcore/gabber tho.
also speedcore and terrorcore. (yuck!)

serox
04-11-2004, 03:55 PM

www.dj-serox.tk theres a set there with doomcore and hardcore techno. german hardcore. early PCP. think the first track is IS version of the classic record 'we have arrived'. i was playing it on +6 and i think it is only about hmm 120 bpm? (guessing) very slow. but very dark and scary.

serox
04-11-2004, 04:01 PM

While this doesn't describe across the board, the difference is usually noticable in tempo and use of distortion.

http://www.acidgrave.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=10
^^ That can give you a feel for some of it. Has one mid 90's IS track on it at least. Mainly stuff from France and UK. 200 BPM range.

thats Gabber and close to if not, speedcore. not really hardcore techno or hardcore...

schlongfingers
04-11-2004, 04:03 PM
That guess is well out mate :) at least 138 but I'd say nearer 145

But yeah it's slower than most people would consider hardcore to be

serox
04-11-2004, 04:11 PM

did u hear the version i played tho yeh? it was a USA IS version. i think it is a bit slower.

but yeh i was guessing;)

penthesilea
04-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Will check all this out when arrive at home (No sound on my work PC... :cry: :cry: :cry: )

It's mad what you can learn from a long day at work about hardcore, doomcore, hard techno...
;) am well impressed with this board!

schlongfingers
04-11-2004, 04:17 PM

did u hear the version i played tho yeh? it was a USA IS version. i think it is a bit slower.

but yeh i was guessing;)

Yeah, that was where I listened to it - wicked track but definately round the 140bpm mark - I'm pretty sure cos FLStudio defaults to it on load and I've opened the proggy every day for the last 5 years ;)

very good mix though, and the techno one

serox
04-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Will check all this out when arrive at home (No sound on my work PC... :cry: :cry: :cry: )

It's mad what you can learn from a long day at work about hardcore, doomcore, hard techno...
;) am well impressed with this board!

if you would like to hear some hardcore check this link. wikkid rotterdam kick.

check the track A2 - THE RAPIST & DJ TIEUM - EXCALIBUR

the rapist fvcking rocks. this track blows peoples minds when played out. does the trick when i get on after a techno DJ. hahahaha

http://www.phuturerave.com/view.php?pID=1651

enjoy:)

tocsin
04-11-2004, 05:54 PM
thats Gabber and close to if not, speedcore. not really hardcore techno or hardcore...

TomAYto vs. TomAHto at that point. Nobody can ever make up their mind once it comes down to the distinctions so, in the end, it's all hardcore techno to me. Speedcore heads would tell me I'm nuts if I passed them somethig around 200-240bpm and called it speedcore. Gabber heads would have a fit if I called it gabber. I'm not about to call it "terrorcore" since, to this day, nobody has been able to explain to me what that one means consistently. Gabber, speedcore, [insert-name-here]core are all too subjective. Call it "hardcore techno" (which it is in the end) and people seem to get the general idea.

tocsin
04-11-2004, 05:57 PM

but yeh i was guessing;)

I've mixed that record with a number of acid tracks. Works quite well with "Access" actually. ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==