PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sampled kicks

djTequila
05-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Sampling kicks has been a tradition in dance music for years, so let's share our tips on making them usable! ;)

I find that loading it into a sampler three times gives a lot of control over the sound. Put a high pass filter over one, a band pass filter over the second and a low pass filter over the last. Then use a really tight amp envelope for the first, a longer one for the second, and a longer one still for the last.

Thus you get the click without any high-hats, the body without any mid-range mess, and as much bass groove as you want.

Then you can always replace layers with other kick samples to give it a different feel...

:)

Anyone else?

NFP
08-11-2004, 02:46 PM
I tend to use T-Racks a mastering software program plus Sound forge
quite a good raw sound to it.
www.naked-flame-productions.tk
www.kronicfm.tk

djTequila
10-11-2004, 02:20 PM
How do you use T Racks to clean kicks? Sounds interesting!

And what do you do in Sound Forge?

NFP
11-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Well as you said put a low pass filter on it to make it a very deep dark feel and process in a couple of different ways like overdrive than stick it into sound forge and put a bit of distortion and flange on it to give it that dark feel.
I love playing around with percussion and things like that thats what makes the track so something different is always good
www.naked-flame-productions.tk
www.kronicfm.tk

djTequila
11-11-2004, 02:52 PM
As far as I am aware, T-Racks has no filters or overdrive units. It's for mastering - EQ, comprssion and limiting.

*confused*

Anyway, I was talking about removing hi-hats and stuff from kicks sampled from other tracks. A bit naughty I know, but useful nonetheless! ;)

Dave Elyzium
11-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Nice tip Tequila gonna try this myself :) And yes T-Racks is just a mastering suite but it does have a very nice EQ section that you can use to isolate frequencies so I guess this could work...T-Racks is the bomb for adding a nice slightly overdriven analogue bite to suff...

Dave Elyzium
11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
By the way - flange on a kick?? :eh:

djTequila
11-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I raised an eyebrow to that as well.

I suppose a long lfo time may allow the flange to pick out a useful bass frequency... But I really hope it's a mono effect! ;)

djTequila
11-11-2004, 05:23 PM
As far as I am aware, T-Racks has no filters or overdrive units. It's for mastering - EQ, comprssion and limiting.

*confused*

Doh! :doh: Of course there are filters in the EQ section.

Very nice sounding ones, too.

Dave Elyzium
11-11-2004, 05:36 PM

*confused*

Doh! :doh: Of course there are filters in the EQ section.

Very nice sounding ones, too.

agreed mate i just ****ed about with the kick from Trilok - Trauma, rolled off the bass under 50hz slight cut at about 250mhz - full compression, slight overdrive.....tasty tasty

NFP
12-11-2004, 01:23 PM
when i said put a flange effect on it i didn't mean very much just to give it that nice feel its better for rave and hardcore drums and percussion and really dark tracks and put a slight bit of overdrive
PS I was gonna say T Racks has got the low pass filter yeah its more for mastering but there are lots of things you can do with it

Dave Elyzium
13-11-2004, 10:36 AM
T Racks has got the low pass filter yeah its more for mastering but there are lots of things you can do with it

definatley mate, i used to use the EQ for filtering synth lines before I got a proper filter plugin...very nice it is too

NFP
13-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Its a lovely program I use it frequently

278d7e64a374de26f==