PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 01x vs Tascam FW 1884

markus
05-11-2004, 11:06 PM
So I'm FINALLY giving in and switching over to a laptop PA setup from my hardware Live PA rig.

They both do the same thing anyway, and a laptop and a controller is much easier to carry around than several pieces of hardware.

I was going to get the Yamaha 01x to use as the controller, but the Tascam FW-1884 is a few hundred cheaper so if it'll work just as well as the 01x would, then I might as well just get the Tascam.

Anyone have any opinions on either machines?

RDR
06-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I have the o1x.

I havent used the tascam, but i know the specs. It also depends on how much money you want to spend.

The o1x IS logic control/houston/mackie control it also has 2 very nice 32bit fx processors on board. it also has on board CPU for compressors and eq on every channel.

I also us the o1x in a live techno p.a. in the UK.

(Scarborough the next date for those of you interested, and then r3tox in selby on boxing day) plug plug!!!

The real power of the o1x comes in the formof scenes. Imagine having a real mixer where you can switch to a whole new configuration in 0.15 seconds with no clicking or cracking. We do this regularly live, every new tune in fact.

using studio manager you can back every user preset, every scene, everything and store it on a PC. the scenes are also stored inside the o1x, so no need for studio manager in live mode at all.

the o1x also has a better display than logic control.

Logic control on its own costs 900, the o1x is very near this but includes so much more. I personally use SX and it functions perfectly, i am able to access a plugin or vsti parameter almost instantly. The 'flip' mode also means that i can exchange knob control on a paramter to slider control, this comes in very very handy when putting expression into a performance.

I could go on all day.... but i guess you are falling asleep by now.

Now for the downside...

The drivers can be a bit of a bastard, and need careful handling - however when you get it right (you need a bit of computer knowledge but not much) it works great.

The drivers themsleves take up about 15% when idle, but this is more than made up by the on board CPU. The Fx are very very nice.

No working WDM support for directx, bit of a pain when you use soundforge, but easily dealable with...

The faders are not 100m, but this has benefits for the live work.

Also, only 4 outputs and they are not balanced.

Thats it for the downside...

If you want a balanced view have a look at the main forum for the o1x

http://www.o1xray.com

There are some good folks over there, and the upside is also that the developers DO post there and DO listen to people, its definately the best support i haver ever seen from a manufacturer.

In addition one of the programmers from the site has developed the mackie control protocol for ableton live 4. NICE!!!!

there is also planned to be future developments for the o1x in terms of software and onboard FX.

Hope this helps, i know i biased but i sold my entire studio to get this box and have never regretted it, not for a moment.

Chris.

278d7e64a374de26f==