PDA

View Full Version : Wise words........

audioinjection
05-11-2004, 11:48 PM
"A lot of people make music, but not many of them are finishers. Most people don't really understand what the finishing technique is but it's when you honestly tell yourself that you believe you've done the best you can and this is the best it can be. I can't finish a track knowing that somewhere along the line I don't feel comfortable with it. I couldn't do that. That's one of the reasons why I don't release much music."

-Derrick May

amen

Komplex
06-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Maybe he doesn't release much music because he doesn't write many GOOD pieces ;) (don't take offense anyone, especially you Derrick if you're reading this)

I think everyone can always go back and listen to their track a year layer and criticize it because everyone who is serious about music gets better all the time.

hiroprotagonist
06-11-2004, 02:51 PM
i know sometimes ive been working non stop on a piece feverishly and by the end i just want it to be done with. i dont know how to take a break. it makes me physically ill when i get to the end of a piece. i cant sleep i cant eat and i cant relax until its done.
this makes me rush the ending but usually not until im pretty satisfied with the inner workings first. then its just a matter of fading out parts and tying up loose ends.

g
06-11-2004, 04:59 PM
he has lots of stuff people haven't heard, and a very capable studio in the corner of his loft. maybe now that he's a daddy he'll be inspired to release more ;)... or else he'll continue being the diana ross of techno.

one very useful thing derrick once told me about writing techno is do the drums last. that's actually really hard to do, but it's a great exercise.

Komplex
08-11-2004, 12:57 AM
one very useful thing derrick once told me about writing techno is do the drums last. that's actually really hard to do, but it's a great exercise.

I totally agree with this. Percussion is a no brainer really when compared to all other aspects of music.

I'll often write either percussion or melodies and then mix and match between different projects.

No percussion sessions are cool when u are feeling creative, Just churn out section by section of synth pieces and save them all for use later on. Same thing can be applied to drums.

Its a good work flow...

278d7e64a374de26f==