PDA

View Full Version : Studio Setup - Standing up?

Antinoise
07-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Does anyone here have a studio setup where they standup? I'm just moving across country and in doing so I have an opportunity to redesign my studio layout. I want to get more into the experience, pluging shit in....turning gear around...etc..... maybe a big table with synths strewn across it.. Right now I have a tight deck setup but I sit (and sit and sit ans sit) and I find that I get caught in a mode of laziness or something.. Thing that I want to do in my head don’t happen.. because well... I'm just sitting there!.... . Maybe a synth that only plays if I'm running in a jogger! :P

Is it practical to stand all the time though.. How could standing and sitting be combined? Seems like sometimes to do detailed editing you just want to sit as well... Anyone work like this or have any ideas...

Scott Kemix
07-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I do most my production and tweekin standing up as my compressors and rack gear are mounted above my mixing desk on a shelf. The best thing if you dont want to be lazy is mount your stuff at chest height, so if you are sittin down you will have to reach up all the time, forceing you to stand up.
Then you could maybe do most of your sequencing, sitting down.

cheers
ScottKemix.

www.fatcollective.com/makeshift.htm

Evil G
07-11-2004, 06:52 PM
i like to stand up when i'm tracking and only sit down for mixing and mastering. i've got my keyboards about the same height as my turn tables and my fx rack in a position that i can reach from either standing or sitting.

Honeey
07-11-2004, 07:52 PM
I like to sit in my big comfy office chair and produce (Big comfortable and supportive office chair with wheels is a must) that lets me completely go off into my creative space.
I also do graphic design for my business on my computer so it's a double whammy for me. I'm usually on the thing for 12 hours a day.

Damn computers can do so much fun shit!

The way I have combated the sore bum factor is by getting up in the middle of it all and go for a bike ride or do some kind of intense physical activity and that helps to jump start the creative flow again.

Scott Kemix
08-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Sounds like dedication to me, fair play. :clap:

Komplex
08-11-2004, 01:04 AM
I think you should set it up so you can both sit AND stand.

I'd hate to stand when doing stuff like programming patches. But when jamming or practicing live stuff its great to stand up and get into it...

Scott Kemix
08-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Just try and construct everything to how you will find it the easiest to work. Maybe draw out some diagrams etc coz i am always changin my setup.

Antinoise
08-11-2004, 05:14 AM
Just try and construct everything to how you will find it the easiest to work. Maybe draw out some diagrams etc coz i am always changin my setup.

I'm a production designer so believe me.. I have many options of detailed 3d CAD models of my studio setups!...."Diagrams" does not even start to describe it!!! :)

I have how I like to work now.. but I want to change what I like so the experience is more energetic. I too have my design studio mixed with audio setup. I'm going to break the 2 apart with the 3d design station a sit down and the audio station some sort of quazi standup.. I'm unproductive where the 2 are together.. (Too much to play with)

Evil G
08-11-2004, 05:46 AM
it would be nice to get one of those computer desks that adjusts to standing position, but they are expensive. i find that if i use the mouse/trackball on my normal height desk while i'm standing up, i get inflamed tendons quickly, due to the bend in the wrist.

Komplex
08-11-2004, 08:50 AM
adjustable height chairs ;)

Basil Rush
08-11-2004, 12:50 PM
we had something called the 'boy band stool' but basically it was a comfy bar stool, you can then stuck stuff at standing height and still sit down when you want to ... these days we're lazy and just sit down

278d7e64a374de26f==