PDA

View Full Version : SATA hard drives?

Jimfish
09-11-2004, 03:43 AM
Hey dudes, need to pick some brains here..

Ive got a new dell PC with a 160gb sata hard drive and i bought myself a 200gb to go in it the other day and act as the audio drive..

I cant get it to come up in 'my computer' though (but device manager can see it)

There are 4 sata ports on the motherboard with the original drive plugged into 0 , and this plugged into 2 - but its the same when i tried it in 1..

am i doing somthing wrong here? any advice definitly appreciated as i kinda need an audio drive on this bitch asap :)

cheers!

Evil G
09-11-2004, 05:50 AM
maybe it needs to be formatted and/or have an active partition set to it in disk manager?

Jimfish
09-11-2004, 12:52 PM
oohh good plan..

er, whats disk manager?

fatcollective
10-11-2004, 11:50 AM
i think ya need someone who knows what there doing to partition your hard drives, we had it done a while back and it looked pretty comlicated, so probably best leave it someone who knows there the score with PC's ;)

Chazbloke
10-11-2004, 12:46 PM
disk managment can be found under
control panel/administration tools/computer managment

open the computer management mmc and highlight the disk management tool in the left pane.
then in the right pane, it will display all the pysical disks in the computer...your new one should show up there fingers crossed....
you need to create a "partition" on the disk, do this by right clicking the disk and choosing create partition (follow the wizard through) - the wizard should create partition (may as well use all the drive if it's audio only) and will format the disk and assign you a drive letter...
now your drive is ready to use and will show in Windows Explorer.
all this should be in the windows standard help stuff (start --> help , search for "disk managmenr")

Jimfish
10-11-2004, 02:52 PM
woah thanks man that did the trick..
i did that help wizard thing and it didnt tell me anything about initialising or partitioning things..
anyway, cheers again for that :)

278d7e64a374de26f==