PDA

View Full Version : ableton live 4

jimmy west
09-11-2004, 07:12 PM
would you recommend ableton live 4 as a good programme to start learning the basics of producing and sampling im the buying set up in the new year 3ghz,512meg,128graphics card 60gb,7200rpm hd and do you think is that a big enough powered laptop to do what i want to do which is produce quality techno and hard trance.also do you think i should go with the more trusty cubase and reason programmes

waldhaus
09-11-2004, 07:22 PM
i would recommend fruity loops! it is easy to learn, and it can also sound very professional. you should try the demo!

Evil G
09-11-2004, 07:38 PM
gig 1 gig of ram if you can swing it. you'll notice a big difference.

Honeey
09-11-2004, 08:11 PM
I am in love with Ableton live 4!

This program does everything I need and sounds great, works seamlessly with all of the vst plugins I have.

Very intuitive and I loved the step by step visual tutorial.

Fruity Loops also rocks as well as Cubase but for me I found Abelton works with my intuitive visual style of creating so I use it the most.

Fruity Loops also works as a vst plugin and can be used quite effectively in Ableton that will leave you more options in the long run.

Yes lots of ram and a good soundcard make all the difference.

Komplex
09-11-2004, 10:23 PM
best tool ever. for beginner or advanced.

DJZeMigL
10-11-2004, 01:26 PM
I would recomend Cubase/ Logic 2 learn the basics... Ableton Is great but u can easily become lazy and just stick loops 2gether! :(

Z

Honeey
10-11-2004, 05:59 PM
I would recomend Cubase/ Logic 2 learn the basics... Ableton Is great but u can easily become lazy and just stick loops 2gether! :(

Z

Then you may as well use Acid! (the program) ;)

DJZeMigL
10-11-2004, 06:49 PM
What I was trying 2 say is that I see more and more people starting 2 just stick 4-5 loops 2gether and thinking they're "producing" a new original track... and in fact most of the loops are from good Sample CD Houses so the prodution sounds fantastic, but one day they understand they need 2 b more original and when they move 2 something like sx or logic they're just crushed by the sheer amount of knowledge they need 2 make something original that as a similar quality, so most of them just gives up and keeps producing watered down fodder! :(

If u start de hardway u learn the ropes (sure it takes longer) but it is far more rewarding, methinks !

Sure Ableton can b used 2 make original stuff even from other people's sound but if some1 is new 2 the thing it will bprobably just stick 2 glueing loops, and probably won't divert much from it cause that sounds some much better and "pro" compared 2 something donne from scratch, also I do think that 2 make original music ableton is not so intuitive, and makes ya work 10x more that say a cubase or logic...

Jus my 2 cents anyway,

Z

Honeey
10-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I understand and agree.

Works for me though.

I think its boring to produce with all loops anyways.

The world needs more origional art of all kinds.

xfive
10-11-2004, 06:59 PM
also I do think that 2 make original music ableton is not so intuitive, and makes ya work 10x more that say a cubase or logic...

I kinda disagree with that Z.
I see what you're saying about learning the ropes etc etc and I 100% completely agree.
BUT... :)

I can get ideas down in Live waaaaaaaaaay faster than I can in SX or Logic.
Setting up track routing, midi routing, applying fx, editing samples.... everything is much simpler. it is all right in front of you and not in hidden menus or windows.

Am I the only one who laughed my ass off when they first fired up Logic and went uhh.... this i supposed to be "logical" ? :lol:

I have been using sequencers and such for years, but I installed SX for the first time the other day, and while it only took me a few minutes to figure out how to get a sound out of it... I would not tell a noob that its easier than using Live.

I'd have to say Live is definetly the *most* intuitive piece of software I've used, personally.

SX was pretty coo.. but the only thing that really caught my fancy were some of the audio and midi fx.
As far as gettin shit done.... I'll take Live over anything any day.

:rambo:

xfive
10-11-2004, 07:01 PM
I guess I should add that I am speaking specifically of Live4.
Live 3 is infact a bit harder to create "original" music, as Z said, because some of the more basic sampling features were missing, and you had to do some funny tricks to do simple things. And it had no support for MIDI or VST instruments.

Live4 however rocks my socks.

Honeey
10-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes intutive thats exactally it.

Everyones mind works a slightly diffrent way so I guess we just have to use what works best for our own personal creative style.

DJZeMigL
10-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, for some1 beguining Ableton is simpler, mainly if u are talking about work with samples/ loops...

But I guess it as loads 2 do with yer personal experience etc...
I find working with sx very quick if u are used 2 yer keycomands...

I also think logic is nothing of such lol :P

Z

Larney
10-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Live 4 can do pretty much anything any other sequencer can do and in half the time. I've used Cubase, Acid, Fruity etc and produce quicker and better tracks than I have ever done with any of those. All dance music is loop based and Live can record loops or if you want linear recordings and can be used to make as complex a track as you are capable of. My advice is get it, there is no better software on the market that provides the same ease of use.

Komplex
10-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Actually now that I think about it, either fruity loops or reason would be PERFECT for someone starting out. Especially Reason because it has defined modules for specific tasks that mimic real gear and also signal routing.

Go Reason.

g
10-11-2004, 11:08 PM
or fruity loops because it's a hell of a lot cheaper, you can expand and use other instruments/efx, it's easier to use, you get free updates, and reason is ANNOYING.

Greg Dee
11-11-2004, 03:55 AM
word.

i recommendy fruity.

ableton is cool if you make all of your own original loops, and sequence them there. i try to stay away from it personally, unless im remixing something.

sash
12-11-2004, 12:28 AM
i downloaded the fruity 4.5 demo and am amazed how well it sounds .

my 2 cents :cool:

Toad(1)
15-11-2004, 11:37 PM
What I was trying 2 say is that I see more and more people starting 2 just stick 4-5 loops 2gether and thinking they're "producing" a new original track... and in fact most of the loops are from good Sample CD Houses so the prodution sounds fantastic, but one day they understand they need 2 b more original and when they move 2 something like sx or logic they're just crushed by the sheer amount of knowledge they need 2 make something original that as a similar quality, so most of them just gives up and keeps producing watered down fodder! :(

If u start de hardway u learn the ropes (sure it takes longer) but it is far more rewarding, methinks !

Sure Ableton can b used 2 make original stuff even from other people's sound but if some1 is new 2 the thing it will bprobably just stick 2 glueing loops, and probably won't divert much from it cause that sounds some much better and "pro" compared 2 something donne from scratch, also I do think that 2 make original music ableton is not so intuitive, and makes ya work 10x more that say a cubase or logic...

hear hear, :clap: :clap:

the way people are being encouraged to make house music these days seems to be full of shortcuts, presets and damn loops, really the only way to define your own production style properly is to start with the fundamentals..

278d7e64a374de26f==