PDA

View Full Version : laptop/sx/828 combination just aint werkin

Jimfish
14-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Ive got a phattie dell p4 2.66 laptop
beefed hard with ddr (768 i think) and a fireirw audio drive...
the pc is running cubase sx ( a version i have used before on my old system and i know is fine) and a motu 828 with a vc8 adat converter for extra i/o...

heres the problems...

when im working on a loop about every minute or so the audio which is on channels seems to stop and only the soft synths and extrnal midi keeps playing...then a few seconds later it all comes back in but really out of time...

also when im moving boxes around it takes ages to just move a part....even a midi part and the performance bars are never on more than 5%

and the final problem is that when i use more than one note at a time on a soft synth (ie bang in a chord) the whole lot starts to pop and crackle even though ive tried every latency setting and im using the latest driver....

sorry to bother you guys with these problems but as you can imagine they are doing my nut!

any advice well apreciated and i'll get my granny to send you some of her delicious sausage rolls or maybe even an apple pie...

MARKEG
14-04-2003, 02:50 PM
well it could be a driver problem and i've had a serious problem with my pc/828 for the last 3 months. finally, i think i fixed it last week and i boiled it down to the firewire card drivers.

go into device manager. is the firewire card a texas instruments one?

if not, you need to get one. there's known issues with 828 and other firewire cards.

ok... now you have the right card, if that doesn't fix it, you have to roll back the ohci1394.sys drivers.

this is precisely how i fixed my prob on xp:

http://forum.mediaassist.nl/postlist.ihtml?showthread=175&showforum=41

NB: remember to replace your files in safe mode or it'll keep updating back to the drivers you're trying to get rid of!

hope this helps!

ACTUALLY try this first. I remember my 828 poped and crackled when the buffer setting wasn't right. Goto the MOTU panel and make sure the buffer is 256.

278d7e64a374de26f==