PDA

View Full Version : Stutter effect

lee_lotzof
11-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I put this in the Techno section, but maybe someone here can help too...

Stuttering effect...

How can this be done in Fruity?! Or in fact in any sequencer. To do it with one sound then thats pretty simple - but using the Slicer.

But is there a way of getting the whole track - or certain effects of the track to stutter ie, kick, hat and snare at the same time.

thanks

EmotionComplex
11-11-2004, 01:45 PM
im not sure the exact way you'd go about it in fruity as i havent used the programme for a long time now but if i were to do it in cubase i'd create a group channel and send any channels i wanted to effect with the stutter into that group, then to generate the stutter effect either automate the master volume of the group though midi on/off notes or you could insert a slicer/chopper or some other volume effecting vst effect into the group then automate it on or off for when you wanted the effect to start - end

or in a similar way just automate the master volume of each individual layer you want to stutter in the automation lane, you could alternate the volume patterns then and get some rhythmic chopping going with different layers building up a kind of volume driven groove ?

lee_lotzof
11-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks emotion. :lol:

But when i mean stutter i meant a repeating sound - not an on/off effect.

But ill use your advice to generate that effect to - but not really what i meant....

if im not being clear in what im asking, please say and maybe i can clairify.... :oops:

EmotionComplex
11-11-2004, 02:09 PM
oh right i get ya now, the first method that springs to mind is just to do it in the midi notation so when you get to the section you want to create this effect draw it in the sequence as midi notes for each sample that is going to do it, if your using battery you can assign voice groups to sample cells and limit maximum voices so you can repeat the sample as fast as you like and itll only let the one voice play at a time, so you wouldnt get into any nasty overlapping or clipping situations with different length samples being triggered repeatidly.

or you could mixdown a bar of the channels you want to be effected to one audio file then load the section into battery and activate the sample in battery via midi to repeatidly trigger the section from one of its pads again with the max voices set to 1 then depending on the density of your midi notes 1/16 , 1/32 1/64 etc and the length of decay on the samples envelope you could change the rate at which the effect happens, then at the end of the desired duration place the original channels sequence back in the midi lane to carry on as normal

EmotionComplex
11-11-2004, 02:14 PM
infact if memory serves me correctly you can limit samples polyphony and edit audio envelopes in fruity aswell anyway

schlongfingers
11-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Just automate the fruity delay in the sample properties - will post full details when I get home if you need more info.. quite simple once you got the principle of automation.

278d7e64a374de26f==