PDA

View Full Version : 1210's or STR8 150's?

Busho
13-11-2004, 11:41 PM
which are the better of the two turntables???

Joe-E
14-11-2004, 01:06 PM
I think the stantons meself mate ;)

Their ****in lovely :love:

mrbenn
15-11-2004, 10:25 AM
The stantons are nice, very nice. But I still prefer techinics.

i guess its probabbly because thats what im used to though

eyes without a face
15-11-2004, 01:02 PM
for serious djing, there is no question

Busho
15-11-2004, 04:30 PM
I think the stantons meself mate ;)

Their ****in lovely :love:

yer i luvs em

im gonna get me a pair soon as i start workin :cool:

Yoshimitsu
15-11-2004, 11:21 PM
used the stantons once at a club and they were fine but im used to techys so :neutral:

dan the acid man
16-11-2004, 12:30 AM
technics all the way for me

rs1800
16-11-2004, 01:55 AM
I love the TTX1 but these new decks are so torquey (like the stanton) you dont need to push the records the same as with a 1210 so its different when u then play out on 1210's.

Im not saying this is a good idea but I use 1 of each so get to have all the cool features on 1 deck if I need them (eg +- 50% to try some interesting mixes with pitch hold) but have the 1210 on the other to 'keep my hand in'.

Just what works for me.

lukekendall
16-11-2004, 04:52 PM
1210's

just cause ive never used the other ones :lol:

Busho
16-11-2004, 09:15 PM
think im gonna settle wiv the Stanton STR8 100's coz theyre much cheaper an have more torque then the technics :lol:

Luke Revival
17-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Torque isn't everything!
For me Technics are just right! Obviously I'm very used to them but they're so easy to use! And as people say, once you can use technics you can use them all!

Technics all the way!

eyes without a face
17-11-2004, 01:42 AM
its quite obviously technics all the way... u can keep ur +50... id rather have build and THE BEST DECK IN THE WORLD than a +50 pitch

Technics... The Best!

Barely Human
17-11-2004, 08:34 AM
I love technics, i swear by them, i always have. But, these new stantons wipe the floor with them, they really do. The build quality is absolutly amazing, they do not skip, and they make technics feel like a fisher price toy,(im not joking). Personally, i still would buy technics because they have what i want, but if i had to get another deck, it would be the new stantons.

eyes without a face
17-11-2004, 11:54 AM
I love technics, i swear by them, i always have. But, these new stantons wipe the floor with them, they really do. The build quality is absolutly amazing, they do not skip, and they make technics feel like a fisher price toy,(im not joking). Personally, i still would buy technics because they have what i want, but if i had to get another deck, it would be the new stantons.

i really doubt that

rs1800
17-11-2004, 01:20 PM
1210's are gr8 and have stood the test of time but finally there are some other decks on the market that can compete and even better them.

Barely Human
17-11-2004, 07:51 PM

i really doubt that

If you try them mate, you will know what i mean. I know what im talking about. I have been using technics for years, and being a turntablist, and coming runer up in the North West heat of DMC, i think i can have a fairly solid opinion on the matter. I have used Vestax A1's/PdxD3/Pdx2000, and i didnt like the way any of them performed,( the a1's were sloppy, didnt have the same torque as technics i felt, and also felt very badly made. The D3's were actually a very decent deck, but i still felt that it wasnt up to the scratch of technics, and the same goes for the 2000's. I have also used the numark top end rang - TTX/TT1/TT100, and again, these decks didnmt perform aswell as technics imo. The TTX is a very good alternative to technics tho, and is IMO the third best deck on the market at the min.

Now for the stantons... I used the first stantons when they started making decks and mixers. I cant remember the model number, but they were the top of the range at the time. I wasnt impressed by them at all. They didnt track very well, and they also were sloppy.

You must remember that i am a technics man thru and thru. I know the capabilties of technics, and i will always stand up for them. I will probaby never own a different pair of turntables.

The thing is, my mate was after some decks a while ago, and i told him technics are the ones you want. He ended up getting a pair of the new stantons, and i can remember thinking what an idiot he is for doing that. Then i had a go of them. I cannot decribe to you how quality these decks feel. They weigh about 4 times more than technics, the platter does not move in any way, it starts instantly, and stops instantly. It is physically hard to stop the platter when the motor is switched on, and if you spin the platter with the motor off, it will spin for longer than your attention span for testing it. He had a pair of bog standard 500AL carts on it, and i put a scratch vinyl on and got to work. No matter what i triedm it would not jump. In the end i tried punching the side of the deck, and im jnot joking when i say it still didnt jump until i punched it hard. These decks are the absulote bomb. If you have never used them, then i urge you to do so. If you are just gonna sit there and try and say that you doubt they are better than technics, then you really are narrow minded.

The only thing that has annoyed me about the stantons is the extra start/stop button. I tend to click it by acident when mixing becuase i like to rest my hand there. The only other thing now is to see if they can last as long as a pair of technics??? Only time will tell....

S/E
18-11-2004, 04:49 PM
The only other thing now is to see if they can last as long as a pair of technics??? Only time will tell....

That will be the factor that will determine the ultimate verdict here. We all know how long Technics turntables last. ;)

I love my Technics 1200s and will swear by them until the day I die. :lol: Although, I would definitely be interested in checking the Stantons out myself. Haven't had a chance to yet.

The Numark TTX are pretty solid performers too, I played on the a few weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised.

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 06:53 PM
dont call me narrow minded dude. i said i doubt it. i didnt say "they are not better than technics". my comment insinuated that until i get the chance to try them, then i personally doubt that they are better than technics.

u obviously know ur stuff, but that doesnt mean to say ur opinion has more substance or validity than others

i obviously wont know until i get the chance to play on the stantons, but fo sho im not narrow minded so lets keep the personal comments to a minimum hey

Barely Human
18-11-2004, 10:56 PM
dont call me narrow minded dude. i said i doubt it. i didnt say "they are not better than technics". my comment insinuated that until i get the chance to try them, then i personally doubt that they are better than technics.

u obviously know ur stuff, but that doesnt mean to say ur opinion has more substance or validity than others

i obviously wont know until i get the chance to play on the stantons, but fo sho im not narrow minded so lets keep the personal comments to a minimum hey

It wasnt a personal attack dude, but saying "I doubt they are better than technics" is a very narrow minded thing to say really. Like i have stated, in my opinion, i preffer technics, but facts are that these decks do perform better. Its like putting a 1970's race car in the ring with a 2000 car. The 2000 car will beat it pants down in all catagories, but still some people will prefer the 70's car. Thats just prefference.

Sorry if that came across the wrong way mate :doh:

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 11:35 PM
it did come across that way dude, but thats ok a little mix up i think

il have to make sure i try those damned decks now haha ;)

Barely Human
19-11-2004, 08:39 AM
il have to make sure i try those damned decks now haha ;)

They'll probably break on you now when you try em :lol:

cascade
19-11-2004, 01:15 PM
If you try them mate, you will know what i mean. I know what im talking about. I have been using technics for years, and being a turntablist, and coming runer up in the North West heat of DMC, i think i can have a fairly solid opinion on the matter. I have used Vestax A1's/PdxD3/Pdx2000, and i didnt like the way any of them performed,( the a1's were sloppy, didnt have the same torque as technics i felt, and also felt very badly made. The D3's were actually a very decent deck, but i still felt that it wasnt up to the scratch of technics, and the same goes for the 2000's. I have also used the numark top end rang - TTX/TT1/TT100, and again, these decks didnmt perform aswell as technics imo. The TTX is a very good alternative to technics tho, and is IMO the third best deck on the market at the min.

I have some pdx-2000's and ive mostly all other turntables on the market and i reckon that they are the most solid deck on the market, and have perfect start and stop times, invincible tracking etc etc,
i do alotof heavy scratching on my decks like yourself IQ and im only useing stanton 505 carts, cant make them jump at all.
i have to say though that the vestax arnt aswell built as technics, because they are made mainly of plastic parts which is annoying, so the shell and internals arnt that strong compared to others but its deffinatly my faveorite deck on the market hence the ownership.

now what you say about stantons being the 2nd best from technics and numark 3rd worries me. I have used a set of stantons many times in a club situation and they were a shambles. Skipping everytime you where cueing and the motors where terrible slow and lacking presence. Strat stop times where shagged, they clearly where good as a new deck but only being 2 years old or so id expect more.

then theres the TTX-1, my opinion is that these are absolutely shite.
the weakest deck on the market. i tried and tested some that where mearly 2 moths old, the start stop times where pathetic, there was hardly any torque, the platter was wobbling like a bitch and i found the features on the deck to just be gimmecky.
all the hype about being able to customise them by changing tone arms and displays is just to cover up the poor performance.

i value peoples opinions about them being an attractive deck but i advise you go and try out stantons and numarks that have been arounda couple of months before buying them. A new deck out of the box will always perform well but try them when the are abit older, gives a better perpective of what theyl be like when youve had them years.

My last point is that if someone buys numarks or stantons new models are made 2-3years after, so your decks will be outdated and theyll be a whole set of new useless features built into turntables.

on the subject of technics
THEY RULE :rambo:
period.

:cool: peace

techno_smack
19-11-2004, 01:37 PM
i have never doubted that there is better than technics out there, but really if your playing out ur more likely gonna be faced with a pair of technics than any other deck, so surely that has gotta be the main factor???

you want to know the equipment your gonna be using, unless you wanna lug ur decks to every place u play. Thats what i think anyway.

if the stantons were the decks you find in nearly every club or whatever then id get them.

S/E
19-11-2004, 04:41 PM
if the stantons were the decks you find in nearly every club or whatever then id get them.

1200s being the industry standard does say a lot for them.

Traxx
19-11-2004, 05:15 PM
True technic's are the standard & they are great, just bought a brand bew pair but the stantons are allot better imo.

Barely Human
19-11-2004, 07:34 PM
now what you say about stantons being the 2nd best from technics and numark 3rd worries me. I have used a set of stantons many times in a club situation and they were a shambles. Skipping everytime you where cueing and the motors where terrible slow and lacking presence. Strat stop times where shagged, they clearly where good as a new deck but only being 2 years old or so id expect more.

The old stantons were shoddy mate, they really are. These new stantons really do kick ass tho. But like ive said, they still need to prove themselfs to be as rugged as Technics.

I really do think technics need to think about straight tone arm technology, and steadying the platter more. If they did these simple touches, and maybe just a bit more pitch range(+10%,-10%), then they would have a lot more to go at with the market at the moment.

If you want tried and tested, get technics. If you want something that will last, get technics. If you dont want to be disapointed, get technics. If you want something more, take a gamble and try the stantons...[/quote]

Barely Human
19-11-2004, 07:36 PM
True technic's are the standard & they are great, just bought a brand bew pair but the stantons are allot better imo.

Wahey, someone who agrees :lol: I dont feel so alone now :lol:

cascade
19-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I really do think technics need to think about straight tone arm technology, and steadying the platter more. If they did these simple touches, and maybe just a bit more pitch range(+10%,-10%), then they would have a lot more to go at with the market at the moment.

agreed.
These are few little touches that i personally think would make technics perfect.

straight tone arm,
10% pitch range not 8% (but not anything over 10%, like 20 or 50 cause its useless. )
get rid of the 78rpm adapter rim thingy and just remove that recess,
keep the new reset button but bring it closer to the pitch fader or just out the way soemwhere up there, lol
get rip of the silly hole for the cartridge / goose neck light thingy, you know that small hole thingy on the left of the tone arm.
get rid of the thingy that lifts the tone arm up and lets it fall gently, totally unessary on a modern dj deck.
get rid of lid hinges if theres any at all

most of the above are cosmetic changes so the deck would look plainer and neater round the edges rather then having unsightly unessesary itens cluttering it up. no qualles with the actual mechanics of the deck, maybe look ata increase in start stop times as they seam to be slow compared to top end vestax/stantons etc.
:cool:

Greg Dee
21-11-2004, 07:32 AM
stantons motors suffer too much from wow and flutter...

i dont know about you guys, but i really like my pitch to stay where its and my beats to keep locked so i can worry about more important things in my mix, such as proper layering and effects.

Wow and flutter for MKIIs: 0.025%

Wow and flutter for STR8-150s: 0.1%

ill take the techs over the stantons anyday.

278d7e64a374de26f==