PDA

View Full Version : quick question

tracatak
16-11-2004, 10:23 PM
(keep in mind im using fruity studio 4) ;)

i can get a cool ROLL (as i call it) going with delay or echo ( i heard edelay siu better czu echo can make it go off beat???) so anyways i can get a good ROLL/FLOW going with my kick drum...so its not ur average BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM like other style (hardcore, etc) ..but how do i get it to switch up every 2 kicks or whatever...i lsiten to professional tracks and it sounds liek there is a rolling kick drum that is keeping the beat DRIVING and then a kick drum pounding normally on top of it...but how do i get it to feel like the beat is not so ONE SIDED likE FOR ISTANCE me n my buddies say techno has that WISHY WASHY feel...but all i get is WISHY WISHY WISHY WISHY...not WISHY WASHY WISHY WASHY....which is what im after...do i need to layer more kicks and not place them on 1 2 3 4 ...or what...please help///hehe///...i basically am into hard techno and schranz,,,so if that may help also..TY...

xfive
16-11-2004, 10:43 PM
From my experience what you are describing is other percussion that sits in between the kicks, and the compression thereof.
If you get the proper perc going with the right compressor settings, it will mash it all together

I know that's sorta vague but thats sorta how I figured it out... gotta get the compressor to attack and release at the right settings to make it pump. Merge all your percussion into one bus or track or whatever and compress it all seperately from everything else, including the kick, bass, synths, whatever.

Sometimes, yes, what you are probably hearing is an off beat kicky type drum or reversed kick... but its usually pretty noticeable and not so 'wishy'.

Compression is veeeeeeeeeeeeery important in achieving that "techno" sound.
I'm still experimenting myself :)

Hope that helps.

tracatak
17-11-2004, 07:02 AM
very helpful thanks.ill get right on it :shock:

Scott Kemix
17-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Try these ideas.......

*layer loads of percussion
*try different compression settings
*EQ is very very important on each individual part

peace

DJZeMigL
17-11-2004, 08:35 PM
load up a sampler patch/ prog with some percusion sounds, use an arpegiator, add some shuffle... killa drums! :P

Z

tracatak
17-11-2004, 11:27 PM
TY everyone,,,,i basically have been doing all this..but need to practice more and have more patience....hey Ze...what dop u mean by sample patch..like a basic kick and snare...or like a loop id rathe rnot werk with pre made loops...but im guesssin u mean like just picka kick drum and soem other basic soudns to werk with...then do what u instructed

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 01:15 AM
a good tip wud be to bounce down some loops of ur kick and percussion just looped over 2 or 4 bars, then load the loops back into ur track and eq and filter them so they sit nicely with the original track and fill up the track more

just keep experimenting you'l get there in the end dude

DJZeMigL
19-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I mean use a V-sampler and meke yer own patch/program, were each note note plays a different percution sound/ sample... ex. congas, bongos, etc...

now read back my suggestion ;)

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==