PDA

View Full Version : Style, trends, future?

thorin
15-04-2003, 12:00 AM
just wondering what ppls general opinion is on Inigo Kennedy/Space DJ's style etc.. being more machine noise (melodic almost?!?) There seems to be A LOT of heavily and 'primarily' percussion driven stuff out there. this is ok but sometimes I find that this does not create mood in the music or have the power to create images in the listeners head...

anyone willing to share any thoughts about style/trends in the music?? what they get out of it and thoughts on which way the scene is going?

....hmm
:)

CHRISSI
29-04-2003, 02:58 PM
I think Inigo/ Space djz rock-What can I say, Very unique style !! Those styles have been around for such a long time but are so amazing. Inigo released an album a while ago on Missile Records called 'The Bigger Picture' and it's absolutely AMAZING!!! Seriously check it out if you can.I think it can be quite hard for some people to get into a style that's really different because there's nothing in it that is familiar to them or they just don't understand it. Sometimes it can depend on what frame of mind you're in. Having a smoke can help hehehe! :) because you can really feel and hear where the music is coming from. The good thing about machine noises/percussion tracks I find is it can take you to so many places. You can always find something different in it each time which gives you a new experience. I suppose some people will always just see it as noise though. There are so many diverse styles out there but something for everyone :) The weirder/ ambient stuff does it for me just as much as techno does !! but acid rockz my world!!!

Chrissi ;o0

T
29-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Space djz, heard them mix up some wicked sets over the years, and Bandulu rocked it live when a heard them at Megagdog about 5 years ago! They are excellent DJz for sure. Space DJz are fine producers imo, they add some interesting elements to their tunes and a think you can hear there influences outside of techno from time to time. Inigo Kennedy, got some top tunes by him, but some stuff on molecular I can't quite make sense of, bit off the wall some of the tunes, but interesting none the less

miasma man
29-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Hi Thorin,

I totally agree. There is way too much robotic noise out there for my liking. I mean I do like the hard hard stuff but not all the time. Like Chrissi says it depends what mood you are in.

From my understanding of current Techno, Techno is, it seems, the embrace of Man and Machine. The primary part of it is robotic, futurist and also brutalist. But that is just the Machine. The Man should be able to demonstrate what moods, emotions, atmospheres etc. can be created from the depths of our heads and I believe this really needs to come across but is sadly lacking in many tracks nowadays. There are definately too many drumtracks with just percussion and maybe a few freaky sounds thrown in.

We should be able to take people on a magic journey to a far far away land that doesn't exist (except in our heads?) - to do this properly and successfully I believe we need to add a human element to it. Surely that is the core of music in general. Some people may disagree with me here but these are my beliefs and I am standing by them, unless of course someone else has a very valid counter argument.

There is also the aspect that there are NO promoters that I know of (in the UK) who are promoting this type of Techno. It seems that the Techno room is always totally banging, hard as nails stuff. I believe we need to promote the other styles within Techno. I love the more emotive/melodic stuff and know that other people will as well if only they were exposed to it.

Some of my fave records are by Robert Hood, Sender Berlin, Planetary Assualt Systems, Laurent Garnier, Carl Craig, Justin Berkovi, Juan Atkins, Heiko Laux and loads more that I can't think of off the top of my head. This may give you an insight into the sort of stuff that I like. Also check out some of my previous posts, I think they indicate what sort of stuff I like and where I'm coming from.

Regards the scenes direction at the moment I suppose it will inevitably continue to go the hard route which is a shame, I also believe that the smaller more independant clubs will have a major part to play in how the scene develops. I hope that one day the other forms of Techno will be promoted. I also hope one day to be promoting the other forms of Techno. At the moment its just not practical but I'm damn determined!

Lets hope it changes.

:roll:

thorin
04-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks for your replies:)) my point is I hear a lot of tracks that are just PURELY drum-tracks, the element of using "machine noise" (which is what I want to hear LOL!) is vaguely there or not worked on. Inigo especially seems to be able to do this...

I totally accept techno for it tribal elements, rhythm and intelligent sequencing. But how about mood. Listen to "James Ruskin - Correction Centre", this is an evil track with mood:) but it doesnt always have to be "evil" (but its better that way).. im not talking about putting "cheesy" melodies in techno trax:) but if anyone wants to have a go at my cheese comp on bobcat then go for it:)) mine is cheese.mid :)

Electro does a lot for me, it incorporates atmospherics to enhance the "picture painter" in our heads, robotics, technology, etc.. I'd like to see more of this elemnt in techno and its what im trying to achieve:) hmmm

it just pisses me off to see another drumcode release with "nothing" but the same |*-*|-*-| drum sequence in it:)) most techno producers here will have seen this in a drummap in SX im sure:)

With regards "HARD", brutalistic techno im ALL up for it!! its merging this "picture painter" type of sounds into that.. there is a place for "melodic" stuff and that genre is fine with me:))

hmm, i dont really know my point, but id like to see more innovative and matured "robotic" noises in techno, rather than jus beats:) just a request, im not unhappy or complaining but I am extremely angry LOL jk

CHRISSI
06-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Good points all round !! Unfortunately, MAinstream techno at the minute seems to be about doing the same as everyone else. It's always the same. You get a new sound and because of it's popularity everyone starts to make it and it does get boring after a while. I love the tribal style but it has to have a bit of a groove to it or something special.

As for putting sounds in techno, it's so annoying cos they have to be right !! I've tried putting soundz on before and most of the time they start to sound cheesy so off they come. I think that's probably down to the fact that the music we do is quite hard and quite drum orientated. If it was something a bit mellower it wouldn't be too bad i suppose.

Yeah Ruskin is a bit of a legend I must admit - loving his work.

The nastier dirtier more evil the sound, THE BETTER !!! :twisted:

Chrissi ;o0

278d7e64a374de26f==