PDA

View Full Version : a little confusion with genre names

MangaFish
17-11-2004, 10:27 PM
whats wonky techno?
is it the garage techno cross over or the square pusher freeform type stuff?

footnote: i hate genre names :evil:

MARKEG
17-11-2004, 11:01 PM
well i think it's a silly name tbh cause it sounds like techno to me, but i thnik what ppl mean by it is the mark hawkins, si begg type stuff with a pretty uk garage style sub bass.

if it sounds like you're on walk-a-thon, then it's probably wonky techno

:lol:

MangaFish
17-11-2004, 11:18 PM
now i'm more confused :oops:

thanks for your help mark - i'll go hunting around for records by them producers. i think thats the only way i'll get my head around it :doh:

btw - am i right in thinking theres a techno genre called 'wobbly'? :neutral:

crime
18-11-2004, 09:42 AM
, but i thnik what ppl mean by it is the mark hawkins, si begg type stuff with a pretty uk garage style sub bass.

tut tut tut....

I'll say it before and I say it again, I resent this "Wonky" misconception about my stuff, yes I have done wonky stuff in the past, but I don't particuarly like the asociation, as I said before, it's just another barrier.. i.e. I'm just about to put out a lot more clubbier stuff, really helps me LOADS when I'm branded as a "wonky " artist i.e. people into clubbier stuff read this, go I don't like wonky techno, therefore don't bother to check out my shit as they tthink it's gonna be a "wonky "record when actually they might have liked it if they'd bothered to check it out had they not been led under the impression that I'm strictly a "Wonky" artist..
god I hate this word
anyway, here's the real deal, how it started REALLY back in the day, Jerome (The same jerome that did a lot of stuff with a few of the suf crew and runs don't) used to run Dragon Disc, a store in Camden, North London. He had a section for euro techno and US techno and UK techno, but wanted a section for the more leftfield avant garde techno records, by the likes of Cristian Vogel, Neil Landstrumm and people like tube jerk, It wasn't just a garage crossover thing though, it was anything left of centre.. you can't pin any one sound to it...
to be honest, wonky is a bullshit term which people are quick to jump to because they want a nice easy little box to put things in, because that makes things nice and easy to understand, if they're in little boxes...

crime
18-11-2004, 09:43 AM
in fact, forget genres, just buy records you like for christ sake...

penthesilea
18-11-2004, 09:43 AM
I've just learn myself that apparently am a wonky techno lover...
That did come as a bit of a shock even though have no clue what wonly techno is :eh:

And sorry Mark but that explanation... heu, well... can you do it again in plain english??? ;)

crime
18-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Jerome (The same jerome that did a lot of stuff with a few of the suf crew and runs don't) used to run Dragon Disc, a store in Camden, North London. He had a section for euro techno and US techno and UK techno, but wanted a section for the more leftfield avant garde techno records, by the likes of Cristian Vogel, Neil Landstrumm and people like tube jerk, It wasn't just a garage crossover thing though, it was anything left of centre.. you can't pin any one sound to it...
this is how the name "wonky techno" came about by the way...

crime
18-11-2004, 09:46 AM
And sorry Mark but that explanation... heu, well... can you do it again in plain english??? ;)

can't you read?

penthesilea
18-11-2004, 09:50 AM

can't you read?

:eh: heu... thought I could
but what I first read didn't make that much sense to me...
:study: The wonky techno idiot's guide anyone?

crime
18-11-2004, 09:52 AM

why do you want a "wonky techno idiot's guide"? why don't you just go and buy records you like instead of catagorising shit?

schlongfingers
18-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Hmm, I only like dark wonk really, the light stuff is just not real enough.

crime
18-11-2004, 09:55 AM
and to be honest, the whole wonk thing has well and truly had it's day, the point being people are actually writing "Wonky" tunes on purpose, rather than coming from it from the angle of just writing cool forward thinking techno.. it's heyday was 1996 so you've missed it... it's just imitators now....

crime
18-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Hmm, I only like dark wonk really, the light stuff is just not real enough.

I'm feeling you dude...

penthesilea
18-11-2004, 09:56 AM
am just educating myself man...

I NERVER buy a record because of it's category, label etc (OK, well, once I did buy a record because it was orange...)
But I like to understand what people are sying, above all if it refers to me... See what I mean?

What wrong with you this morning, fell out of bed? ;)

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 10:00 AM
MH, easy man!

we know u hate being classed as "wonky", which is fair because some of ur stuff couldnt be any less "wonky", but i think Mark was just trying to give the best example he could dude

i personally think its a horrible term and definately one we could do without

crime
18-11-2004, 10:04 AM
What wrong with you this morning, fell out of bed? ;)

My name was brought up right at the beginning of this thread, and I'm sick of it's association with "Wonky".. sorry, maybe I should stay away from forums..

fair play though if you're looking for new stuff to get into, at the end of the day though, you want to be looking on e-bay and second hand stuff, although the new noodles stuff is pretty cool.. not that I'd call it wonk, more just si's noodles stuff really.. There's Youngman as well, he's pretty rocking on the new school, stuff like null is just getting too damn noisy though for me...
really though, if you want the classics from back in the day, you want to be looking for:
old Cristian Vogel esp Defunkt and The visit on solid, and demolish serious culture on sativae
Old Neil Landstrumm esp. inhabit the machines on peacefrog
old Justin Berkovi
Sativae
Tobias Schmidt
Mosquito

this wonk thing is totally out of hand though...

crime
18-11-2004, 10:06 AM
MH, easy man!

sorry, but I hate the association, I think 2005 is going to be a very different year for me musically, I could do without being stereotyped... in fact being branded in this way really gets on my tits...

G-whizz
18-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Slighty off topic !
a friend of ours was in japan and they came across a night that play wanky techno ... I was laughing my arse off for days over that one :lol:

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 10:09 AM
yeah for sure man, i agree with u, but as they say "mud sticks". Im sure alot of people hate the pigeonhole they find themselves in, but as long as you know how your music should be classed, if at all, then its cool yes?

there are 2 types of music i think, and thats simply good and bad

crime
18-11-2004, 10:11 AM
we know u hate being classed as "wonky", which is fair because some of ur stuff couldnt be any less "wonky"
Sorry, I thought myself that it was just good interesting techno.. don't really like being told what my music is and isn't by someone else.. don't want to sound arsy, but you know what I mean, imagine someone telling you your music was a certain way and it going completely against what you think about it yourself..

crime
18-11-2004, 10:12 AM

Bang on mate, now yr talking sense....

G-whizz
18-11-2004, 10:13 AM

Bang on mate, now yr talking sense....

do you have your own website ?

penthesilea
18-11-2004, 10:13 AM
kind of? :clap:
Good and bad!
I like!!!
That's simple enough for me...

I, myself never associate people with a particular "box" as don't know what they mean... So you're safe with me...
:eh: kind of?

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 10:16 AM
mate, im not telling u how ur music sounds... i probably should of put IMO after it. i simply meant if people actually listened to a selection of your stuff, e.g the projex ep from a while back, then they would realise there are 2 sides to the coin shall we say?

;)

crime
18-11-2004, 10:21 AM
yes indeed, but not just the projex, I hardly think the Chancer, Jackstar or Nerven record were "wonky" or even most of my Djax-Up releases tbh..

@g-wizz: http://www.crime-productions.com in need of updating but there's a few mixes and live sets up there.....

G-whizz
18-11-2004, 10:33 AM
@g-wizz: http://www.crime-productions.com in need of updating but there's a few mixes and live sets up there.....

cheers for that ! downloading a few bits now .....

Just havin a look do you think it might be an idea to have a little write up about what your musics about ...

it might help you out with your labeling problem ....

crime
18-11-2004, 10:33 AM
I think finding that 25 mb of MP3s that some idiot had e-mailed to me, thus completely blocking my inbox on my web mail made sure I didn't get of to a very good start today actually... so yeah, msg to everyone, if you want to send us music DON'T send it to us as MP3 unnanounced as it will go straight in the bin...
and sorry Mark if I come across all aggy at the start, I understand yr only biggin me+ Si's shit up, I'm just so sick of the association... like imagine people thinking you only played hardcore....

crime
18-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Just havin a look do you think it might be an idea to have a little write up about what your musics about ...

why should I have to put my music into words? destroys the point in making music, surely?

G-whizz
18-11-2004, 10:39 AM

why should I have to put my music into words? destroys the point in making music, surely?

I see your point ....

I was just looking at an answer to your labeling problem thats athe only one I could think of ;)

crime
18-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I was just looking at an answer to your labeling problem thats athe only one I could think of ;)

Explaining the music perpetuates the labelling... to me the music is explaining how I felt at the time when I wrote it, if someone needs me to explain what it's about or 'what genre it is (bah!)' then really they need to just sit back and listen a little bit harder....

penthesilea
18-11-2004, 10:43 AM

I see your point ....

What about an interview for Upfront???
Fancy that Crime?

crime
18-11-2004, 10:45 AM

this is the problem with text based discussion forums about music, it's always going to happen that people need to put the ideas into words.. this "Problem" is only a "Problem" when I come onto forums..
maybe I should stay away from them and just talk to the outside world with music....

crime
18-11-2004, 10:48 AM
What about an interview for Upfront???
Fancy that Crime?
check yr pm

penthesilea
18-11-2004, 11:00 AM

can't you read?

Oh, and by the way, when I said Mark, I meant Mark EG, didn't even realise you were called Mark darling...
:)

Fordy
18-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Techno is just techno to me and thats that, you have more groovey stuff, darker stuff etc etc etc etc but its all just fcuking techno and I can safely say ive never heard of the term wonky techno in my life, thank god, thats the most stupid term ive ever heard.

Leave the pigeon hole bullsh*t for hard trance/hardhouse/nrg/dysonhouse/freeform/nubreed/stupidhouse/handbag/hardbag/fagbag/fcukbag/whorebag/techinfluencedtribalflavalatinmadeintaiwanhardhoov erhouse

etc

:lol: Sorry I couldnt be anymore help.

Frank Dogshit
18-11-2004, 05:52 PM
hey fordy!!!i read a post the other day that reminded me of our meeting at voodoo!hows it goin lad? i owe you a drink too!! :lol:

Fordy
18-11-2004, 05:55 PM
hey fordy!!!i read a post the other day that reminded me of our meeting at voodoo!hows it goin lad? i owe you a drink too!! :lol:

Ha, yeah im good ta mate, yourself ? Aye you do ;) That night was quality, was completely fcuked aswell :lol:

Frank Dogshit
18-11-2004, 05:58 PM

Ha, yeah im good ta mate, yourself ? Aye you do ;) That night was quality, was completely fcuked aswell :lol:

very strange meeting.....when you said you were from telford it just sorta clicked...haha. fuct up night tho for sure!!!give us a shout if your comin down again.

Fordy
18-11-2004, 06:08 PM

very strange meeting.....when you said you were from telford it just sorta clicked...haha. fuct up night tho for sure!!!give us a shout if your comin down again.

Yeah was v.strange, what are the chances and all that.. Yeah will do mate, hoping to get back up liverpool/voodoo asap.

jonnyspeed
18-11-2004, 11:47 PM
I love left-field, crunchy,wonky,chopped-up, chonk-chonk banging fair ground music!

Still think there's some good stuff being banged out.

If you want a feel of some of the better end of this try, Semi-Automatic, Nasty Colour, Cannibal Cooking Club, Black Mass Plastics, Subhead, Scandinavia/Neil Landstrumm, Aeox, Neue Hiemat...

top tips:
Shitkatapult - Vol 50 - 4xLP (from T.Raumschmiere)
Michael Forshaw - Serial Scratch - CD

peace.

MARKEG
19-11-2004, 12:39 AM
i feel very silly classifying you as wonky techno mark.

but as a journo and a dj and a music lover, if someone says to me - what is wonky techno, my reaction wil always be the same.. 'i don't like classifications but if you must know.... blah blah blah'

mark, as a internet mate, i'm very glad you've hit this silly wonk thing on the head. it's so silly. what a daft thing to call it. all it is, is techno. si begg/chris vogel/landstrumm etc etc to me have made techno that is actually more techno than techno itself. but then ppl want to seperate it from techno cause they don't' understand techno, so they give it another name.

and i think the producers are a little bit to blame for not speaking out against it. you really must speak out against this shit.

anyway sorry again mark like i said... perhaps i'll learn to explain my hatred for pointless new genres next time ;)

FUSION
19-11-2004, 09:49 AM
thats a final word if I ever heard one :clap:

crime
19-11-2004, 02:27 PM
anyway sorry again mark like i said... perhaps i'll learn to explain my hatred for pointless new genres next time ;)

No worries dude ;)

Didn't mill say something like: "techno is music that sounds like something you've never heard before". to me this is the original spirit of techno which in some ways is sadly ignored these days...

loopdon
21-11-2004, 09:13 AM

why do you want a "wonky techno idiot's guide"? why don't you just go and buy records you like instead of catagorising shit?

why are you so aggressive, m8?

JE:5
21-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

jonnyspeed
21-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Exhausted is perhaps more appropriate description than agressive.

But it works both ways, the more left-field unconventional tracks from MH has got you a name for being original, not something most techno producers can say.

MangaFish
21-11-2004, 07:45 PM
blimey - i never expected such an emotional thread :shock: especially as i was only asking because i keep hearing the term banded on here :lol:

seems i have already been buying a few records that could be catagorised as wonky.

278d7e64a374de26f==