PDA

View Full Version : xfive - one of those days (hard & deep)

xfive
18-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Hey guys. Started on this last night.
It's hard... it's deep... enough description I'll let the track do the talking. heh

I'm about half way done arrangement wise..
Any feedback would be great :rambo:

http://lfo.fsck.org/~chris/music/xfive_-_one_of_those_days5.mp3

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 10:20 AM
nice start dude

the kick is too loud tho, even at low volumes it's really prominent, just pull it back a bit and maybe smooth it off a bit too, sounds a bit distorted to me

love the synths tho

xfive
18-11-2004, 01:04 PM
nice start dude

the kick is too loud tho, even at low volumes it's really prominent, just pull it back a bit and maybe smooth it off a bit too, sounds a bit distorted to me

love the synths tho

Yes indeedie... the joys of recording at incomprehensible volumes at 4AM :lol:
That's easy to fix :)

Cheers!

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 01:10 PM
haha definately

hunched in the corner, headphones on, i know that feeling! haha

;)

xfive
18-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Nah no headphones... I usually bang it fairly loud at all times, but I turned it down a bit during my last few mixdown recordings because my ears were getting pretty fatigued after sittin at the damn computer for 10 hours straight lol

:shock:

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 01:38 PM
haha i know that feeling too

ive developed an affliction i like to call "numb ass"

haha

detfella
18-11-2004, 03:47 PM
^^^ yeah i know those feelings too :rambo:

like the feel of the track, and those percussion/metallic noises are great. im not so keen on the attack portion ogf the synth that comes in (@1.03). make sure u post up when u finish it ;)

xfive
18-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks fella :)
I may play around with the synths more .. but I kinda like it how it is. We'll see heh

I'll definetly post the final.

j_s
19-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Really like the way the pads & percussion work together, almost like an industrialised Boards of Canada. Nice.

xfive
19-11-2004, 04:35 PM
hahaha now that's an interesting way to describe it !! :)
Glad you enjoyed it.. I should have this done tonight or sometime this weekend. I think I am going to do a remix of it that goes for the straight percussion approach as well... not as many synths.

dirty_bass
20-11-2004, 12:34 AM
I like this, it has a very stark, desert-like sound. nice.
that kick is too loud, I`d drop the volume on it and maybe give it a little top end boost so it cuts through the mix more confortably.
Actually maybe a different kick altogether, something more 808-ish with a little white noise on the front end to give it some bite?

xfive
20-11-2004, 02:32 AM
I like this, it has a very stark, desert-like sound. nice.
that kick is too loud, I`d drop the volume on it and maybe give it a little top end boost so it cuts through the mix more confortably.
Actually maybe a different kick altogether, something more 808-ish with a little white noise on the front end to give it some bite?

Thanks Steve ;) Yea the kick is a bit loud eh... I will give that 808 w/ noise thing a shot man.. that sounds good.. and will help quite a bit in the bass area too :lol:

I shall re-post tomorrow :)

Cheers

Jimfish
14-12-2004, 10:14 AM
yeah listen to steve.. definitly try to get the groove cutting through a bit more, and also maybe put in some small percussion you can vary a bit..
a bit more top end sculpting with some hats reverbs white noise eq etc etc wouldnt go a miss.. perhaps with quite a lot of variation to contrast the quite static groove.

synths are good.. the synth that comes in at the beginning & end could be a little less dry in my opinion - plus a tad quieter.. maybe even a different sound to lock into the main pad nicer like the sweeps at around 2:40 do.. Also maybe a some small string melodies could fit over the pad every now and again too to really create a journey.
Also have you thought about bringing the pad in earlier but filtered very low - so that you cant hear it much but it does create a general feel of where it could go as well has helping to bring a little music into the stark drum groove..
Just food for thought man ;)

xfive
14-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Nice one mate.. some good ideas for this.

I really should post another one of this soon as I have done a bit to it. Steve's 808ish/white noise kick idea was golden and that alone helped a bit.

I will give some of your ideas a shot next time I get on this one :)

dan the acid man
14-12-2004, 07:08 PM
i also like this, some lovely synth action, i agree with the above posts about the kick.

Mindful
16-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Cool I like the feel wont mention the kick drum tho ( :doh: oops just did)
Thought Jim had some good ideas about fitering in the pads in earlier.

Finish it then!!! ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==