PDA

View Full Version : Mixmag Music Awards

Analbumcover
18-11-2004, 04:09 PM
For reasons quite beyond my understanding, Pure Filth has been shortlisted for the category "Best Techno Night" in this years Mixmag Music Awards.

The short list is

Atomic Jam, Birmingham
Bugged Out, Liverpool
Pressure, Glasgow
Pure Filth, Nottingham
Shine, Belfast
Superconductor, Leeds

5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs, the other is in a dingy dodgy club, miles off the beaten track, relentlessly promoting the best the techno underground has to offer....

It would be very amusing if everyone decided to vote for the underdog and strike a blow for the underground...

www.pure-filth.org

Tony
18-11-2004, 04:14 PM
i thought superconductor where pretty damn underground, not maybe compared to you, but maybe compared to bugged out and atomic.

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Atomic Jam, Birmingham
Bugged Out, Liverpool
Pressure, Glasgow
Pure Filth, Nottingham
Shine, Belfast
Superconductor, Leeds

5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs, the other is in a dingy dodgy club, miles off the beaten track, relentlessly promoting the best the techno underground has to offer....

errr pardon???? lets go through this shall we.....

Atomic Jam - big night yes, swanky? no. Its been at Code and Air once respectively, apart from that can u call the Q club swanky? no way... and the Sanctuary couldnt b further away from swanky! Superstar djs... hmmmm big names yes, superstars, errrr no.. baring the big names like Rush and Clarke maybe... Finke is not a superstart Dj, Fenton isnt a superstar dj, both big names but not superstars....

Bugged Out - when it was at Nation it wasnt swanky at all, anyone who went can tell u Nation is one big shithole

Pressure - never been so cant give my own opinions, but from what people tell me the arches is swanky, the toilets are proper rank and it has its fair number of scallywags... definately not swanky

Shine - again never been but by all means not swanky. big names yes, but thats the clubs policy, big techno/house/electro acts and smaller names in teh other rooms

Superconductor - errrr definately not swanky, and has big names yes but these are quality big names, no superstar ego's at all etc etc etc

this may seem picky but i typed it because you have basically dismissed 5 superb club nights in one comment simply because you favour Pure Filth

i personally hope Atomic Jam or Superconductor wins it, but doesnt mean the other nights are any less enjoyable

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Pressure - never been so cant give my own opinions, but from what people tell me the arches is NOT swanky

just before anyone picks up on that haha

oldbugger
18-11-2004, 04:27 PM
already seen this Dom. ;) was quite impressed.. i'll give you a vote.

might be calling in for your december one too.. ;)

Frank Dogshit
18-11-2004, 04:32 PM
ill be voting for none of them as mixmag is shit.

oldbugger
18-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Atomic Jam, Birmingham
Bugged Out, Liverpool
Pressure, Glasgow
Pure Filth, Nottingham
Shine, Belfast
Superconductor, Leeds

errr pardon???? lets go through this shall we.....

Atomic Jam - big night yes, swanky? no. Its been at Code and Air once respectively, apart from that can u call the Q club swanky? no way... and the Sanctuary couldnt b further away from swanky! Superstar djs... hmmmm big names yes, superstars, errrr no.. baring the big names like Rush and Clarke maybe... Finke is not a superstart Dj, Fenton isnt a superstar dj, both big names but not superstars....

Bugged Out - when it was at Nation it wasnt swanky at all, anyone who went can tell u Nation is one big shithole

Pressure - never been so cant give my own opinions, but from what people tell me the arches is swanky, the toilets are proper rank and it has its fair number of scallywags... definately not swanky

Shine - again never been but by all means not swanky. big names yes, but thats the clubs policy, big techno/house/electro acts and smaller names in teh other rooms

Superconductor - errrr definately not swanky, and has big names yes but these are quality big names, no superstar ego's at all etc etc etc

this may seem picky but i typed it because you have basically dismissed 5 superb club nights in one comment simply because you favour Pure Filth

i personally hope Atomic Jam or Superconductor wins it, but doesnt mean the other nights are any less enjoyable

jeesus chris...talk about trying to piss on somebodys chips :dontevengothere:

All he was saying is that these are all big well established, sucessfull nights turning over a lot of dosh etc... is it really so hard to understand what analbumcover was on about?

gumpy green
18-11-2004, 04:34 PM
ill be voting for none of them as mixmag is shit.word.

jakN is the best anyway ;)

Analbumcover
18-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Christ, you don't need to be so hostile... I'm not knocking the other nights at all, back when the jam was at the Q I went to everyone for 5 years on the trot and I did the 220 mile round trip to Nation enough times.

I was just surprised to see Pure Filth listed alongside these more recognised nights.

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 05:07 PM
5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs

not hostility involved, i was simply making a point of how pretty biased and misleading this comment was, which it is no escaping that. Clubs like Superconductor and Atomic Jam are still pushing quality underground techno just as much as Pure Filth is. You've been atomic jam yourself you know its not swanky in the least

and these nights are definately not turning over alot of dosh as Oldbugger said, that comment couldnt be any further from the truth for a few of those clubs

it will be wikid if Pure Filth win it, i hope you do :)

Frank Dogshit
18-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Wondering were Locked,Manchester is me........They dont know what there missing! :lol:

oldbugger
18-11-2004, 05:28 PM
[
and these nights are definately not turning over alot of dosh as Oldbugger said

still big amounts of cash involved compared to a small local night.. surely you can understand that..its not that difficult to understand :doh:

filthydave
18-11-2004, 05:33 PM

it's not dismissing those nights just pointing out that they are in a different league regularly pulling thousands of people and able to put on the supposed cream of the crop when we get a couple of hundred die hard techno lovers baying for blood when we have to turn it off

as for favouring Pure Filth, surely as a promoter you have to wholeheartedly believe your night is the best there is or what's the point?

my overiding philosophy when it comes to promotion is 'if i was a punter, would i go?'

VOTE FILTH!

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 05:35 PM
being involved in playing clubs and knowing alot of promoters i understand fully the costs involved with running a club, and i know how much money some of these clubs manage to get back... i assure u Bugged Out, Atomic Jam etc do not make anywhere near what people may think, and they maybe larger amounts of money changing hands then what does between Pure Filth and their guests, staff, venue etc etc, but that shouldnt, and often doesnt, have any reflection on the quality of the night

Analbumcover
18-11-2004, 05:35 PM
5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs

not hostility involved, i was simply making a point of how pretty biased and misleading this comment was, which it is no escaping that. Clubs like Superconductor and Atomic Jam are still pushing quality underground techno just as much as Pure Filth is. You've been atomic jam yourself you know its not swanky in the least

and these nights are definately not turning over alot of dosh as Oldbugger said, that comment couldnt be any further from the truth for a few of those clubs

it will be wikid if Pure Filth win it, i hope you do :)

Personally I would class the Que Club, Nation, Mandela Hall, The Arches and Mission as massive venues. With capacities from 1200-3000 I don't think that's too misleading.

I'd also personally class Hawtin, Mills, Clarke in the superstar DJ category. That's just my opinion though, just as you're perfectly entitled to class them all as underground.

I can't believe you think these nights don't turnover large amounts of dosh, that's just basic maths. High door price x large capacity = high turnover.... Unless all these clubs are empty all night...

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 05:40 PM
have u actually been to any of those listed nights over the past few months?

Bugged Out certainly does not "regulary get thousands". The last event in liverpool was absolutely empty compared to their heydays a few years back, there was about 150 people there!

the last few Atomic Jams ive been too definately havent had thousands there, maybe close too a thousand people but definately not thousands dude.

yes the venues you mentioned are massive, but not swanky. There is a difference.

as ive said some of these nights do turn over lots of cash, but not as much as people think, especially after costs.

u guys are taking this all to heart a little i think, im in no way dissing ur club, just pointing out a few facts thats all

oldbugger
18-11-2004, 05:46 PM
surely you can see that these club nights are a different league (not in a bad way)?

:eh:

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 05:48 PM
for ****s sake lad of course i can, i never once said they werent

Tony
18-11-2004, 05:50 PM
yeah, as much as i can see what ewaf is saying, i do think some of those clubs could be classed as 'swanky'.

bugged out used to do techno in sankeys, but then went decidely 'tech house' over the last years, and the cream associations have only helped the 'plastic techno swankyness'.

atomic has always catered for more 'commercial' techno tastes, and though cutting edge, doesnt really go that dark. ade fenton, wether he is like it or not, is received by most people i have ever talked to, as the most 'wannabe superstar' in modern techno. as i say, he might not feel he's done anyhting to push that image, but its definitely out there.

most of the venues for the clubs mentioned may not be super polished, but they are huge!!! and i'm fairly sure that they all charge over a tenner to get in. there is some considerable money being made, but some considerable fees being demanded by djs.

for me, i'd vote for superconductor, for keeping it so underground and unheard of whilst packing people in, and getting decent djs in as well.

but frankly....... its mixmag, they have no valid opinion whatsoever!!!
but i hope pure filth get some votes too :)

neko
18-11-2004, 05:53 PM
what i want to know is what is bugged out doing in there? :eh:

i certainly don't think it could be classed as a techno night.

Frank Dogshit
18-11-2004, 05:54 PM
thats mixmag for you though....not a fuking clue. can think of about 5 other techno clubs that should be in there above bugged out.

filthydave
18-11-2004, 06:07 PM
have u actually been to any of those listed nights over the past few months?

nope, you rumbled me, but then why would i? i run the best there is! ;)

seriously if i have the cash and somewhere puts on someone i want to see i try and go but i've not seen a lineup from one of these that i've fancied (analbumcover however is a right tart and always off somewhere)

they still however have a following that far outweighs ours in terms of mixmag readers

as ive said some of these nights do turn over lots of cash, but not as much as people think, especially after costs.

i don't think anyone makes any real money at this game unless you're extremely lucky but there are enough out there who take a cut of the profits at least and many who see it as their ticket off the breadline

we're happy if we've got enough for a bottle of vodka and people leave with a smile on their faces

u guys are taking this all to heart a little i think, im in no way dissing ur club, just pointing out a few facts thats all

i didn't think you were dissing our night at all just putting across your view of the other clubs

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 06:11 PM
i agree with u Tony on some points, altho not all.... to be honest i think this has turned into a good discussion on the reality of clubs and the workings behind them... never a bad thing really

i think an underlying misconception to be honest here is just what state some of the clubs mentioned are in right now, both venue wise and music policy wise. As Kitten said bugged out isnt techno at all really these days and hasnt been for a while, and it is mixmag after all people haha

;)

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 06:13 PM
sweet i get u man totally

quite a nice discussion in the end haha :)

Frank Dogshit
18-11-2004, 06:14 PM
can we not start off our own poll now.....

'Which is the WORST dance music magazine?'

Any guessed on the winner? :lol:

eyes without a face
18-11-2004, 06:15 PM
i vote for wankrag.... err sorry mixmag

davethedrummer
18-11-2004, 07:03 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

davethedrummer
18-11-2004, 07:32 PM

it is and always has been m8 ( sorry mark)

Perverter
18-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Dear Tony

Being called a 'wannabe superstar' is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me on a forum. Thank you.

p.s. did I do something to upset you at some point? You always seem to have a negative opinion about me, but as far as I know we've never met?

AF

Analbumcover
18-11-2004, 09:29 PM

it is and always has been m8 ( sorry mark)

I don't know... The bloke who lived in my flat before me was a journalist and used to be on a variety of mailing lists...

Until they thankfully went bust, I used to receive a copy of "Ministry" magazine addressed to him every month for about 3 years... I can't believe that M8 could possibly have been worse.... You could hardly even class it as a music magazine.

filthydave
18-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Until they thankfully went bust, I used to receive a copy of "Ministry" magazine addressed to him every month for about 3 years...

says he!

you know you've never been able to live with the shame! ;)

Stella Boy
18-11-2004, 09:53 PM
The only good thing about Mixmag is that it's only out once a month.

I read a review about a BMB track a few months ago and the reviewer said something like " Just another routine onslaught of pounding techno, nothing to wrote home about" :roll:

Frank Dogshit
18-11-2004, 10:37 PM
The only good thing about Mixmag is that it's only out once a month.

I read a review about a BMB track a few months ago and the reviewer said something like " Just another routine onslaught of pounding techno, nothing to wrote home about" :roll:

i bet it was in the 'hard trance' review section aswell.... :roll: ;)

Martin Dust
18-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Who does the reviews in Mixmag these days?

I'm just glad the Filthy Boys have a got a mention, they deserve it - top lads and Dom's rig is ****ing ace - well worth a visit.

Who cares who wins tho? Was aware we did all this as some kind of competition...

conflict
23-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Up the filth!!

We'll all be voting rest assured blue

fresh_an_funky_design
26-11-2004, 05:50 PM

yeah mix mag are a bunch of money grabbing tossers. I recently designed a half page ad for a night for mixmag. they charge him £900 for it!!!!!! an to top it off they said that if it wasnt't it PDF format they would charge an extra £200. For anyone that dosen't know bout PDF to change a TIFF or JPEG to a PDF takes about 2 minutes!!!! aslong as you have Adobe Acrobat Pro which costs £400!!!

Money grabbing tossers!!!

278d7e64a374de26f==