PDA

View Full Version : adat thingy

FILTERZ
25-11-2004, 09:37 AM
I have a motu 828 mk2 and am currently running 10 analog channels from that into my desk , however this thing also sends out 8 channels of digital i/o via using adat , so what i need is a digital to analogue converter that takes my adat input and gives me 8 channels of analogue i/o .
Dont sound cheap to me but if its reasonable i could maybe sell my sampler to finance it , Anyone else use one of these or have any idea about exactly what box of hoojamaflips i want ?

FILTERZ
25-11-2004, 10:44 AM
bump, sorry

messyfuture
25-11-2004, 12:51 PM
what sort of desk do you have?

i have a O1v with an adat card that works great, if your using an anologue desk you will need ad converters, which i dont know a great deal about but a mate of mine uses them, i'll give him a call tonight and ask him for you

FILTERZ
25-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Analogue innit ,mackie 32-8 , i know i need an adat converter just dont know what one to buy, cant spend thousands more like a few hundred tops , i looked a couple up Alesis do one called the a13 looks good to me and seems cheap at 3oo squids or thereabouts. Let us know what yer mate reckons, cheers ;)

Jimfish
26-11-2004, 01:05 AM
Yeah the AI-3 isnt bad but if you want a cheaper option id go for the fostex vc-8.. only about 80-120 on the secondhand market.. most people seem to use these on thier 828s or digi1's etc..

The main difference is vc8 is a half rack and ai-3 is full rack & vc8 uses phono connectors whereas the ai-3 has balanced 1/4" jacks - but there is a good difference in price and i dont know for sure but i can imagine the converters being better in the fostex anyway so its 6 to half a dozen really ;)

Evil G
26-11-2004, 01:49 AM
i've got an alesis deq 830, which is basically the ai3 but with a graphic eq on each channel.

i can tell you that the alesis converters are not quite as good as those in my motu, but they aren't terrible either.

Jimfish
26-11-2004, 02:56 AM
yeah, you just have to run your best shit through the first eight :)

that deq thing looks cool! whats the eq like?

Evil G
26-11-2004, 03:52 AM
it's 31 bands per channel. stores 100 sets of 8. there are a million leds on the front. levels for all 8 channels, plus 31 band by 12 step per band real time analyzer.

i use the analyzer constantly. you can flip back and forth between two channels to see what frequencies are clashing.

it can do plus/minus 12 db per band, but tbh i'm finding that if i use anything more than about 4db i start to notice phase distortion and it starts to sound a bit digital and cold.

it can do interesting things if you link the channels in serial (using the motu cuemix) and apply large eq changes to specific frequencies. all kinds of weird digital spookiness.

Jimfish
26-11-2004, 10:42 AM
i use the analyzer constantly. you can flip back and forth between two channels to see what frequencies are clashing.

woah that sounds like a handy box of tricks!

FILTERZ
30-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Cheers chaps , thanks for the advice , i thought it was gonna work out quite dear but thats all good seems affordable now ;) :cool: THANX

278d7e64a374de26f==