PDA

View Full Version : levels!!!

stjohn
29-11-2004, 03:23 PM
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~clubbers/notnow.mp3

heres a new track... why are my levels always so low?? listening to tunes made by other people on this site, everyones is much louder...
is it a software/hardware thing coz right now im only of software ie. reason 2.5 cubase sx reaktor 4 waves platinum

i beef my tunes with Waves Ultramaximzer+ but alot of the time with bangin techno i cuts my sounds. the above track is minimal.
any input ppl?
cheers in advance

dirty_bass
29-11-2004, 08:49 PM
hmm with a tune this minimal there is no reason why you shouldn`t have a nice hot signal.
I think the problem lies in a number of areas.
This track for example, I think could just use better treatment of the sounds.
When you make something this minimal, there is a lot of room in the mix, so you can make the sounds really big.
Compression over the individual tracks and a much better use of Subractive eq will raise the overall level of your tune without cluttering the mix.

Once you have filled out a broader frequency spectrum and your tune is fuller, subtle use of a nice mastering compressor and ultramaximiser will raise the levels even more, just don`t overdo it and crush the sound.

audioinjection
29-11-2004, 10:02 PM
this track sounds loud enough to me, levels sound fine

maybe it doesnt sound as loud because its so minimal, not too much going on

stjohn
30-11-2004, 01:20 PM
cheers for replies!!!! Subtractiv Bass....what is it and where do i find it??? ;)

when mixing and mastering my minimal tracks i tend to reference the mix to hawtins-DE9 closer,and level wise... he's way ahead (as i would expect)but also maintains the cleanliness that i love about minimal...

when producing i always think that im making the sounds that i want, but then when i compare i see my sounds feel a bit empty.....

i use waves C4 on most individual trax but a fairly sh*t computer means that if i have 5+ tracks to mix, plus fx, i might have to mix the tune more than once.

im still new to the concept of compression and im playin it by ear, literally coz ive little or no clue about the dynamics. but thanks for the advice lads
appreciate it!
cheers

stjohn
30-11-2004, 01:22 PM
subtractive Eq sorry not bass!!!!!??!"?!?!?!?$^$%&$%&?

Mindful
30-11-2004, 03:17 PM
subtractive Eq is removing or reducing unnessasery freqs out of sounds EXAMPLE cut low freqs from a ride or hat.
advice i got from Mr Z Miq L.

Mindful
30-11-2004, 03:24 PM
subtractive Eq is removing or reducing unnessasery freqs out of sounds EXAMPLE cut low freqs from a ride or hat.

I think thats what it is anyhow.
take a good look thru the techno production forum for some exelent EQ advice from people who actully know what there on about.

dirty_bass
30-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Subractive eq, in brief, is where, when eq-ing a sound, rather than boost the frequencies you want to emphasise, to "sweeten" or "tune" the sound to the mix, instead, you remove the unwanted frequencies. This leaves more space in the mix, and allows louder and fuller sounds, without clutter.
Do a search there have been articles in the techno production section.

278d7e64a374de26f==