PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh Soundcard

Craig McW
07-12-2004, 04:09 AM
OK. I have a G4 powerbook.... lovely little machine. I use it for both Graphic Design work and music production. Up until now I have gotten away with plugging my home stereo in using a headphone jack to RCA adaptor, or just just using my headphones. Not ideal but definitely cost effective.

Now that my production ability is increasing, and the need to actually make things sound good becomes important, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet, save some cash, buy a soundcard and monitors.

Monitors are sweet, am getting some second hand ones off a dear friend who is moving oversea's for a low cost. But I have no idea of USB soundcards for Mac. Obviously some research will return positive results, but combine the general knowledge power of this board with my terribly lazy fat ass, and you get this thread.

So folks, any suggestions?

dulash
07-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Most off the soundcards that i know are mac compatible

greasyfastspeed
07-12-2004, 11:18 PM
i've heard good things about the http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html

Craig McW
08-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks Splask.... checkin it out now....

g
08-12-2004, 12:11 AM
pretty much any m-audio interface will do well for you.

if you have a PB with a PCMCIA slot i would also recommend one of the Echo Indigo cards. tiny, easy to use, great sound, killer latency. mine will go down to 64 samples without a single hiccup.

Craig McW
08-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Thanks G. I'm thinking the M-Audio is what I'm after. Looked at their range and the one tthat Splask suggested seems the most desirable for what I need.

Now I need money. How much do you get for donating blood and sperm these days?

fresh_an_funky_design
08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
i have an m-audio firewire 4-10 an its shit hot. Its a great solid sound card, had to send my first one back but other than that no probs. Its got enough outputs to keep you happy as well, an 4 ins for out board gear!

Craig McW
10-12-2004, 02:51 AM
$799 AUD :(

Just have to save my penny's.

Komplex
10-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Craig, u don't get any cheaper than 799 AUD when it comes to half decent soundcards with multiple outs.

The 410 is really cool for the money. The cons are that the output seems a little low compared to other cards and I've also heard of Mac users having troubles with it. But if you do get it, make sure they allow returns and shit incase you can't get it to work. If you get it from Awave in Hawthorn, take your laptop in and test it there.

greasyfastspeed
10-12-2004, 05:37 PM
they go for a fair bit cheaper on ebay as well

ampassasinbirmingham
10-12-2004, 08:59 PM
i run a firewire 410 with my powerbook also. they go great together. do try and get a firewire soundcard instead of a usb as u can use it in a live situation also in the future if u chose to.

Craig McW
11-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Craig, u don't get any cheaper than 799 AUD when it comes to half decent soundcards with multiple outs.

The 410 is really cool for the money. The cons are that the output seems a little low compared to other cards and I've also heard of Mac users having troubles with it. But if you do get it, make sure they allow returns and shit incase you can't get it to work. If you get it from Awave in Hawthorn, take your laptop in and test it there.

Manny's in PRahran quoted me the figure..... I'll shop around a bit and defo take in the lappy for testing before purchase. Will have to talk to you soon about stuff, just need some advice.

Komplex
13-12-2004, 12:26 AM

Manny's in PRahran quoted me the figure..... I'll shop around a bit and defo take in the lappy for testing before purchase. Will have to talk to you soon about stuff, just need some advice.

No worries mate, you could even come test mine out some time after NYE if you want.

I also want to get another 410 for the other computer so if you want to buy em at the same time we can try get a discount...

Craig McW
13-12-2004, 01:12 AM

No worries mate, you could even come test mine out some time after NYE if you want.

I also want to get another 410 for the other computer so if you want to buy em at the same time we can try get a discount...

In talking to a guy I work with turns out he's friends with some guy who imports all this sort of stuff for wholsale, *might* be able to score us these at cost. I don;t have the cash yet, and won;t for a while, so I'll do some investigation and we'll talk turkey real soon.

btw next MTC is my featured set, I want you to be the guest that night....

networkacid
13-12-2004, 11:43 AM
$799 AUD :(

Just have to save my penny's.

Buy from America, never buy anything like this in Australia... You wilol get things much much cheaper due to the exchange rate, plus the fact that we pay GST plus duty here ;)

networkacid
13-12-2004, 11:51 AM
For example: http://www.doctoraudio.com do it for $369 US (410 Firewire) which is $487.75 AUD + probably $50 shipping at the most = $260 AUD saving ;)

PS hi, it's NEO ;)

Craig McW
13-12-2004, 09:50 PM
HI NEO!!!

Komplex
13-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Rich. We know its you ;)

Craig, Its not the next MTC coming up on Christmas is it?

Craig McW
14-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Nah, the one in January. The Christmas one is a lasergun vs MTC thingy.....

PM me your number and I'll buzz you to chat about it.

professor
15-12-2004, 01:39 PM
what about a motu?

278d7e64a374de26f==