PDA

View Full Version : Help! young, unexperienced & needing sound advice

mrbenn
07-12-2004, 05:30 PM
I've been wanting to start my own techno night for a long time.

I Live in cornwall and the place is starved of techno, I play at a night once a month and currently that is the only techno nite in cornwall (appart from free parties)

The post about promoting techno nights has given me some ideas & made me feel more confident that I can do it.

Bassically what I really want to do is bring chris liberator to newquay to play a 2 hour set some time in aprill.

I need details of how to book chris, how to deal with agents and not get ripped off, produce flyers and posters and how to distribute them to maximum potential.

any advice is appreciated............

mrbenn :cool:

fatcollective
07-12-2004, 05:39 PM
ok mate, for Chris contact: www.sufcollective.co.uk ......if you need flyers doing for a very good price, my brother and a very close friend could do that for ya...as for promoting....just make sure you let everyone know ;)

mrbenn
07-12-2004, 06:12 PM
nice one bud :clap:

fatcollective
07-12-2004, 09:08 PM
PROMOTION...get posters in as many record shops as possible...ask for it to be advertised on websites...some will charge a bomb, but the more underground ones will be fair...also underground magazines are ok for advertisment...Upfront Mag is a good un....good luck mate ;)

DJTrubass
13-12-2004, 07:51 PM
just to let u know m8.. well support you what ever you do :cool:

mrbenn
13-12-2004, 08:02 PM
CHEERS BUD :cool:

fresh_an_funky_design
13-12-2004, 08:04 PM
if you want flyers i could do u 5000 full colour flyers + 100 a3 full colour posters, designed & printed & delivered for £180

if u wanna see my portfolio email me on fresh_an_funky@hotmail.com

fresh_an_funky_design
13-12-2004, 08:12 PM
in terms of booking chris, the stay up forever lot wont rip you off so you dont have to worry bout that! There not like some dj agencies who charge shit loads

mrbenn
13-12-2004, 09:00 PM
once again nice 1 :clap:

Jay Sanders
14-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey MrBenn,

Im From Exeter and ive been toying with the idea for the past year or so, ive got a few venues in Exeter that i could use but im just questioning the actual interest there would be from the public....

Techno is still very Underground in the South West in my opinion, but thats why we all need to stick together really.... If you need any help just PM mate, id be more than happy to!!

;)

Kube 72
14-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Good luck with this Mr Benn..my first proper gig was at the Lizard Festival down at Goonhilly back in 99 and after that I went to the Newquay Surf & Skate festival on Newquay beach...its funny cos we sat on the beach and the bloke on the PA asked for a heavier sound so the skaters could do there thing, my wife said to me why don't you give em a CD but I said well maybe but it ain't skating music, its techno....anyway after a few more requests from the bloke I did, some liked it but the hardcore skaters where moaning...ha ha.anyway what I am trying to say is you'll never know until you try but if you promote your arse off then at least you can sit back and think, I gave it my all.

mattboyslim
14-12-2004, 04:55 PM
we'll be doin stuff round exeter and plymouth way soon, so if you'd like to hook up and maybe do some stuff with us gimme a shout

Jay Sanders
14-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey Mattboyslim im from exeter... where in Exeter will you be doing your stuff???

there aint many to choose from is there.... Oh how i wish there was more of a techno scene down here. :cry:

mattboyslim
17-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey Mattboyslim im from exeter... where in Exeter will you be doing your stuff???

there aint many to choose from is there.... Oh how i wish there was more of a techno scene down here. :cry:sorry forgot about this thread..um nothing comfirmed but we shud be doing stuff down in plymouth at pilgrimage and hopefully doing some kind of festival in the south west. was looking at some places near exeter

jon connor
17-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I've been wanting to start my own techno night for a long time.

I Live in cornwall and the place is starved of techno, I play at a night once a month and currently that is the only techno nite in cornwall (appart from free parties)

The post about promoting techno nights has given me some ideas & made me feel more confident that I can do it.

Bassically what I really want to do is bring chris liberator to newquay to play a 2 hour set some time in aprill.

I need details of how to book chris, how to deal with agents and not get ripped off, produce flyers and posters and how to distribute them to maximum potential.

any advice is appreciated............

mrbenn :cool:

i come to that area quite often + play free parties absolutly wikid i might say. i no some quite experienced techno dj`s + promoters in your area ,they live in mitchel just near newquay. i will pm the details over to ya ,any help for techno in that area whether you need a rig, or flyers or decor ,wot ever they will help you out geeza if you needs. ;)

hope all goes well for you dude, and good luck man. :clap:

mrbenn
17-01-2005, 09:30 PM
i come to that area quite often + play free parties absolutly wikid i might say. i no some quite experienced techno dj`s + promoters in your area ,they live in mitchel just near newquay. i will pm the details over to ya ,any help for techno in that area whether you need a rig, or flyers or decor ,wot ever they will help you out geeza if you needs.

hope all goes well for you dude, and good luck man

haha i know the very people your talking of mate, infact I was in london with them before christmas at the space sj's/ben sims night & I believe you were there to. Remeber getting picked up from a phone box at about 1 in the morning!

Dunno if you remeber me or not but im mark, I was one of the young uns on the trip I was with orlando, & scot.

I know bambi, stuart & markus quite well, was going to ask them for help but ive decided to postpone doing a night as my sponsers cant get me any money at the mo & im tottaly skint.

hows things in the welsh regions anyway?

jon connor
18-01-2005, 01:53 PM
hahahahahahha!!!! yea man .........was a strange evening, i did a pub crawl on my own waiting for you lot to pick me up, my distributer who i was going to meet in the first place was absolutlty trashed wen i got to London and asleep, i woke up in a converted library bus looking at a grave yard in the morning, then we spent the afternoon with a mental geeza who was a cross between vivian from the young ones + keith from the prodigy, telling me how he loved his job as a grave digger :shock: to top that off i got lost on the tube on the way home, man my head was fried eggs.........

but all in all good night,

fairplay to ya ,i remember talking to ya but was a bit sozzled on beer, you aint got to look far then if you want put on a techno night in your area, only the thing is venue options down there im not sure if you can get 1 easilly, but you in good hands for wen you get started so you half way there geeza! ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==