PDA

View Full Version : Syncing a tb-303 with novation bass station

Jack
07-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi

Has anyone tried this, what control do you get etc?
At the moment have been using din sync from novation drumstation to sync with sequencer, but can't use note data on sequencer just stop start.
With bass station works off cv gate and gives it a midi channel i think, i presume it picks up on any channel?

Anyone no what im talking? Tried linking bass station and 303?

Thanks

Jack

messyfuture
07-12-2004, 10:01 PM
i use my bass station to control my 101.

you can get the cv gate to send on a different channel than the bass station so you can write your b station parts and 101 on different midi channels.
Utility, then 8 on the keypad then select the channel you want to use.
plays notes grand, but you really need to sample it if you get something good.

not sure what happens with a 303 though, must get a loan of my mates and see what happens

Jack
08-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Cheers thats helped a bit. Just need leads to test.
Anyone got a borg refit? is it worth it?

Nice 1

Jack

Jack
08-12-2004, 12:33 AM
it seems the standard cv and gate are outputs on the 303 so would need modification for input to comp control i think.

JE:5
08-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Yep, you need a retrofit - http://www.kentonuk.com/info/socketkitinfo.shtml

JE:5
08-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Although I think you lose a lot of the 303s unique quality sequncing it externally.

slavestudios
08-12-2004, 03:31 AM
can u get the 303 to take just a clock signal & trigger the patterns within to just run in sync ? then flip between patterns manually ?

FILTERZ
08-12-2004, 11:24 AM
can u get the 303 to take just a clock signal & trigger the patterns within to just run in sync ? then flip between patterns manually ?

yes

FILTERZ
08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
but you cant switch banks while its running

Jack
08-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Don't really have cash for refit at the moment. Just have to stick with din sinc for the moment. Being able to program on sequencer would also take alot of strain off 303 keys and knobs etc which would be nice.

Cheers for help
Anyone had a kenton, or borg etc refit , opinions please

auditory hallucinations
08-12-2004, 05:41 PM
You don't wanna be able to sequence the 303 thru midi really, as someone said before it totally kills what makes the 303 the sought after piece of plastic it is.

The internal sequencer is what gives it the unique, tight funky sound. Get it midi'ed up, it'll turn into a really duff monophonic synth. I know people who've had it done, regretted it and found out that it's irreversible.

Just learn to use the sequencer on it - if it seems a bit tough, feel free to ask any questions - I've had mine about a year now and absolutely love the way it forces you to program it. The key to getting good patterns lies in the use of accent and slide.

Don’t worry about burning the knobs & keys out - they are pretty easily replaceable you'll find. Most music repair places can do it for about £60 (including a full service), but you'll need to do some serious programming on it to get to the stage where it becomes an issue.

I used to sync it from my Drumstation, via midi sent from the sequencer. Yeh I admit, it can drift out sometimes, and it's not that tight. I've now got it running on clock signal (still sent through midi though) from my tr909, and it's ultra tight! You'd be better off spending your money on a good quality midi-sync24 convertor (something by Kenton would do) which MIGHT give you a tighter response than the drumstation.

Jack
13-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for answers will leave it as it is.

FILTERZ
13-12-2004, 02:40 PM
[quote]I know people who've had it done, regretted it and found out that it's irreversible.

Well one of my old ones had a retrofit , it didnt stop you using the sequencer if you wanted to ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==