PDA

View Full Version : Does being a producer diminish your listening enjoyment?

Dave Elyzium
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this. Youre in a club and all of a sudden you realise that instead of listening to the music as a whole, like you did before you started producing - like you did when you had that "**** me how do they make those sounds" kinda attitude - you realise that youre breaking the track down in your head "909 hats, 808 rim shot there, good hi pass filter on that stab, i wonder if they compressed that with t-racks, i know that sample from Techno Trance Essentials"..etc etc etc....anybody know what I mean??

i just remember as a kid listening to mix tapes and such with such an amazing feeling from the music I was hearing, and i wonder if when you know the "secrets" behind the magic, whether that feelign can ever come back again???

your thoughts please!

fresh_an_funky_design
08-12-2004, 12:30 PM
i know exaclty what you mean! its quite annoying some times as you just wanna enjoy the music! I remember when i started dj'n all i'd do is listen for the mix, now all i do is listen to how they've made & sequenced the tune!!

Dave Elyzium
08-12-2004, 12:37 PM
hahaha yeah totally

RDR
08-12-2004, 12:53 PM
If you start analysing music, you'll never again be able to listen with your 'old ears'

It makes you more picky with the music that you listen to, only the best will do.

yorkie
08-12-2004, 01:06 PM
yea, i think most ppl who dabble with the "darkside" of techno production/music production in general can empathise with this...

DAMN KNOWLEDGE!!!!!!!! why did Adam and Eve have to eat that bloody apple :roll: :lol:

FILTERZ
08-12-2004, 03:53 PM
totally know what you mean , doesn`t spoil my enjoyment of other band based stuff though , and sometimes i still think jesus that is one fat tune

Evil G
08-12-2004, 05:41 PM
i hear what you are saying about being a lot more picky about what you listen to. but for me, i've noticed something strange, which is that i'm starting to appreciate a lot of 70's rock a lot more than i used to. some of that stuff was very well engineered and sounds really good.

fresh_an_funky_design
08-12-2004, 07:17 PM
totally know what you mean , doesn`t spoil my enjoyment of other band based stuff though , and sometimes i still think jesus that is one fat tune

yeah definetly agree with that, had it a couple of times recently where i aint listened to the tune with producer ears, just gone **** thats a wicked tune. Dunno if you've heard the new cave release on prim-evil there's one tune on the double pack that just blew me away! :lol:

AcidTrash
08-12-2004, 07:39 PM
I can't listen to trance anymore now I've tried production. Hardhouse just pisses me off now which is a shame as I used to rather enjoy it.

Dave Elyzium
08-12-2004, 10:38 PM
i hear what you are saying about being a lot more picky about what you listen to. but for me, i've noticed something strange, which is that i'm starting to appreciate a lot of 70's rock a lot more than i used to. some of that stuff was very well engineered and sounds really good.

totally mate but ive always been into 70's rock anyway!! had an awesome night in cardiff a few weeks back went to see Deep Purple and Peter Frampton...also went to see the best band in the world RUSH at the NEC a few months back ;)

disco diva
08-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Im neither a producer or a dj but havibg a partner who does both I can safely say, it can be a pain being out with him because I can see him not only with tunes but the mixing etc etc :roll: :doh: :lol:

Dave Elyzium
08-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Im neither a producer or a dj but havibg a partner who does both I can safely say, it can be a pain being out with him because I can see him not only with tunes but the mixing etc etc :roll: :doh: :lol:

hahaha totally feel for you there haha

MangaFish
08-12-2004, 10:58 PM
when i'm listening to mixes at home, then deffinatly yes. but when i'm out in a club i tend to leave the dj / producer brain at home. not sure how i manage this but i'm sure the copious amounts of JD i drink go along way to helping

disco diva
08-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Think it is a common thing for djs/producers to listen to others in the field doing which ever it is mixing etc, most of mine & tony's friends who dj etc are the same too.

I find myself yanking at Tony's top & telling him off :doh: :lol: But I guess I can see in a way why, but its annoying :lol:

Evil G
08-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Think it is a common thing for djs/producers to listen to others in the field doing which ever it is mixing etc, most of mine & tony's friends who dj etc are the same too.

I find myself yanking at Tony's top & telling him off :doh: :lol: But I guess I can see in a way why, but its annoying :lol:

no offense, but why would you be annoyed by something going on in his head? unless he rants about it or something...

disco diva
09-12-2004, 11:09 AM

no offense, but why would you be annoyed by something going on in his head? unless he rants about it or something...

hahah I dont mean in an angry annoyed way hon, more a we will be on the dance floor having a good old boogie haha & he just stops mid dance or even mid convo & he is there listening to the tune & the dj & he looks up & is watching & at time concentrating more than the dj hahaha, funny & annoying in a I wanna dance with my fella kinda way :lol: ;)

disco diva
09-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh no hon, it is not annoyin in an angry way ;)

More a case of trying to either have a dance with my fella or at times a convo & he will stop mid step/word & just be concentrating on the tune or the dj & his/her mixing :lol: :lol:

When your trying to have a night out with your other half for fun & all they are doing is spending most the night in deep concentration it can get annoying but as I say not in an angry way more of *oh love can you not relax & enjoy it for even an hour?* :lol: :lol:

disco diva
09-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh no hon, it is not annoyin in an angry way ;)

More a case of trying to either have a dance with my fella or at times a convo & he will stop mid step/word & just be concentrating on the tune or the dj & his/her mixing :lol: :lol:

When your trying to have a night out with your other half for fun & all they are doing is spending most the night in deep concentration it can get annoying but as I say not in an angry way more of *oh love can you not relax & enjoy it for even an hour?* :lol: :lol:

Evil G
09-12-2004, 03:24 PM
that's cool.

it's sortof funny, cuz people often come up to me when i'm standing in the middle of the floor listening and tell me i should be smiling and/or dancing.

i tell them that i am, inside. ;)

Scott Kemix
09-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Came across this syndrome a while ago now. I think the more you analyse tunes, you will enjoy it less every time, untill someone comes along and produces somethin you have not got a clue how they have done it, which i think is a long long way away.

disco diva
09-12-2004, 04:00 PM
that's cool.

it's sortof funny, cuz people often come up to me when i'm standing in the middle of the floor listening and tell me i should be smiling and/or dancing.

i tell them that i am, inside. ;)

hahah I know that one too :lol: Why is it people can not undrstand that you can still be having the time of your life & enjoying the night & tunes etc without having a huge grin from ear to ear :lol:

gumpy green
09-12-2004, 04:13 PM
cant really produce (yet) but when it comes to djing i defo notice that most of them up on stage are not really doing much.......never used to b4 but now......

i think it works both ways tho(in djing and producing).

you will hear summin that isnt that great and pick up on it(never used to tho) or you hear summin that is just brilliance and pick up on(again you never used to)..

so my opinion is that it help you seperate weak from stong instead of licking just about everything....

bad or good i dunno....but if you enjoy it i think you are enjoying it on unutha level you wouldnt have b4....

hope ya catch me drift...

Basil Rush
10-12-2004, 02:26 AM
Doesn't spoil the enjoyment when I'm listening to stuff that's well produced, it used to spoil everything cause i was constantly wondering how stuff was put together.

The badly produced stuff really pisses me off though now ... and bad sound systems!

disco diva
10-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Doesn't spoil the enjoyment when I'm listening to stuff that's well produced, it used to spoil everything cause i was constantly wondering how stuff was put together.

The badly produced stuff really pisses me off though now ... and bad sound systems!

haha nail on the head there I think. When your ears are not so trained you do not notice as much but when you start training your ears & no what is bad or good be it a tune or a mix then thats when it starts I think :lol: :lol: ;)

dirty_bass
11-12-2004, 12:22 AM
you will enjoy it less every time, untill someone comes along and produces somethin you have not got a clue how they have done it, which i think is a long long way away.

Haha
Your just listening to too much techno.

I love music, and have a voracious apetite for it. I listen to so much.
At the moment I am listening to a lot of music by contemporary composers such as Arvo Part.
I never stop learning, new sounds, new modes, new styles, new techniques, the endless joy that is music, the myriad of emotions produced by the infinite combinations of vibrating sound waves.
The day I stop learning and enjoying is the day I quit.

Mindful
12-12-2004, 07:24 PM
I think when you pick the music appart you get more enjoyment its a much deeper expeirience to get inside the music.
It would be good if you could get that magic of not listening in too much detail on your own productions tho

278d7e64a374de26f==