PDA

View Full Version : layers of sound??

stjohn
08-12-2004, 03:15 PM
does it matter what what sequence sound is mixed??

for example when im mixing a tune with CB SX2 and i have loads of plugins runnin on the fly, mostly comps, i may have to mix a tune more than once, until i have all the sound included.
usually in this order
kick - subs - low perx - mids - and rides
pads - extra fx - melodies

i do this coz i have a sh*te computer and those plug ins can eat the CPU! but alot of the time my kiks gett swallowed so i redo the mixes without the kik.... and then layer it in the 2nd or final mix, puttin it on top of the stack.
is this just a waste of time or is there layers in sound, similar to layers in Photoshop, Flash etc....???
or maybe im a waffler :?:

fresh_an_funky_design
08-12-2004, 07:19 PM
there's no precise way to do anything, if every producer used the same sequence patterns then we'd have a boring style of music. Just do what ever sounds right to you!

Debroglie
09-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Audio in sequencers/DAWs doesn't work like layers in photoshop and it makes no differece which order there in ... Photoshop is totally visual and works in a topograghical way like looking at a map.

stjohn
09-12-2004, 04:03 PM
i know not in sequencers...but if i mix a tune more than once am i comprimising any existing sounds in the first mix....
it definatly helps if i mix a kik last

Debroglie
09-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Oh sorry I misunderstood what you said ... but yes you are sometimes going to effect your tracks by mixing things in certain orders that will cause phase distortion / also muddyness in the bottom end of your mix and so and so on...., but mixing your kick at the end isn't bad idea but personally I think kicks and perc a fare more esssential so I get those things mixed and tight before anything else . :roll:

yorkie
09-12-2004, 04:26 PM
i know not in sequencers...but if i mix a tune more than once am i comprimising any existing sounds in the first mix....
it definatly helps if i mix a kik last

i usually mix the kick down first becvause it is one of the instruments that i am not going to want to tweak effects on throughout the mix, it usually stays the same and therefore get a good level of compression on it (the cubase multiband compressor is a CPU hording animal!!) then mix it down

save synth's and stuff until as late as possible in your mixdown cos these instruments are gonna be tweaked throughout your track (in my case anyway)

stjohn
09-12-2004, 04:27 PM
i usually have the kick fully ready to go just back track and take it out....
i wish my computer could handle more....

if iknew my way around compression more i wouldnt have to have the compressors running on the fly i could compress the track then forget about it! still learnin tho

DJZeMigL
20-12-2004, 01:46 PM
the order which u mix elements is more relevant for inspirational and workflow motives then for the audiophile technical bit.. so do they way u feel it makes u work faster and in a more enjoyable fashion!

I advise u 2 read up on old topics about compression/ EQ on Bass and Drums/ multiband compression and also on sidechain/ key insert compression! This will probably clear a lot of yer questions! :)

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==