PDA

View Full Version : Sidechaining with Waves C1 compressor?

michealbr0ke
22-04-2003, 04:44 PM
i just cant figure out how to do this :( I've read the manual couple of times but it doesnt explains it clear enough... Here's what i do: I insert the C1 sc comp on a bassline channel. Then i adjust the settings like the manual says, but doesnt the C1 needs some kind of 'key input' from the kick i want to sidechain the bass with?

I also have the TC native bundle 3.0 DEx comp but with that 1 there comes a little plugin called 'sidechainer', this plug should then be inserted on the kick channel and the comp on the bass channel. So the comp gets the kick's 'key input' from the sidechainer plug. Unfortunally this doesnt work because the key input button on the comp remains disabled :roll: So that sux.
I hope you guys understand what im talking about :) thnx!

greetz Micheal

DJZeMig_L
22-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Just a wild Guess Here but maybe u see the side chain on the output buss of the kick track... or even u need 2 make a double of that track and use one of them 2 kick the sidechain!!

Z

michealbr0ke
22-04-2003, 05:53 PM
i hoped u where right, but unfortunally not. and btw i have the kick most of the time already routed to a group channel. so that wouldt solve my problem. and doubling the kick track doesnt work either, its very hard IMO to get that to sound good. thnx anyway Z

Orange
25-04-2003, 05:37 AM
I'd like to know too. :?

DJZeMig_L
26-04-2003, 11:39 AM
I gotta find some 20m of free time 2 try and sort this... my idea with the doble kick track was 2 have one play the way it is already (with the channel grouping) and the other 1 to be sent as a key insert/ sidechain(meaning it would show up in the mix) 4 the bass!

ASAP i'll giv ya somethine about this !

Basil U out there m8??? I know u do do Cubase no more but maybe u can shed some light on this with logic or Pro-tools It should b more or less the same way!!

Z

Basil Rush
28-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Ok - I'm staring at my Waves C1/sc plugin screen and I can't figure it out either now, a mate has the manual so I'll have to go get it off him. The s/c in the C1 looks like it can only be a filtered copy of the input. This sucks ! I think it's maybe my fault for suggesting you used it in the first place, foolish assumption that the sidechain supported it.

And I just found an article in SOS with a picture of the things in Cubase from last month and guess what ... cubase's built in ones dont' support sidechaining at all.

This on the other hand if you can find it might work:

http://www.db-audioware.com/dbd-guide.html

Stupid software, never realised it was missing in so many applications ...

Basil Rush
28-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah, and the pluggo stuff will do, it lets you create virtual buses and control any parameter with any signal from anywhere in your mixer so you can blantantly set it up to work like a sidechain...

DJZeMig_L
29-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Yep Baz, I've been courner a few time on this aswell, virtualy there should b a way but I've also failed 2 c it... I guess If U don't know then I probably won't b able 2 do much more...

This Is so stupid... Side C. is crucial...

I use mainly a 01v... so not much audio work in SX, Apparently this is somewhat easier with Logic if u know yer way around the enviorment page (it seems one of the built in proc. has a bus in 4 SC).

:(

The search goes on!

Z

michealbr0ke
30-04-2003, 10:49 AM
yeah i've read that sidechaining is impossible in SX too :( But i'll try the db audio thing. thanks for your help guys!
cheers

DJZeMig_L
30-04-2003, 02:43 PM
I was trying 2 find a wave C1 pdf... but I can't find 1 in order 2 learn who the SC works with this!!

I killed my head and still could't solve it! :(

Z

MARKEG
30-04-2003, 06:13 PM
i have the pdf. do you want me to send it to you?

DJZeMig_L
02-05-2003, 04:31 AM
pleeeease hoe please :P

Thankz m8.. :D

Z

DJZeMig_L
03-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Man this was doin' my nutt In!!!!

I have found the work around.... mind U I haven't tryed it myself ... BUT THIS SHOULD FUC*** WORK...

Go to the mixer, on the bass channel go to the inserts, now from the insert list... dynamics/ Midi Gate!!!!! :)

back 2 the main page... draw up a midi sequence that has the same notes (I figure only the lenght and velocity really matter 4 what we r trying 2 achieve)... now on the output for this track just choose MIDI GATE ...

Have fun and let me know if this works... I know this will ok (pleeeease :P ).

Z

MARKEG
04-05-2003, 09:23 AM
actually here's a link to the pdf:

http://www.ummu.umich.edu/facilities/ems/Documents/Workstation/plugins/waves/C1.pdf

michealbr0ke
04-05-2003, 08:06 PM
I tried what you said Ze Migl and i believe it works! i didn't have much time so i have to test some more things tomorrow... but im 99% sure it will work. thanks for the tip man! :) nice1!

micheal

DJZeMig_L
05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Unhappy 2 report it's not really what U want... as this is a gate and not a compressor.... so it cuts the sound instead of attenuating.... I haven't tryed all the controls but I'm positive this is another thing... This a fairly used in tracy stuff 2 get that staccato efx over a pad! (cheese on toast).

The search goes on!! :(

I'll get the waves pdf and C where that takes us!!

Z

DJZeMig_L
05-05-2003, 01:21 PM
If in yer list of plug-ins there is one that shows called C1 insert... or something then there is a solution... SOrry m8s but I got a new laptop and I'm half way (wishfull thinking) thru installing and config, so I can say 4 sure 'till then, as I haven't installed the waves plugs...

Db AudioWare Dynamics Processor!

Also this seems 2 have the necessary features so it is a quick way 2 start (thankz 2 Mark's tip .. Nice 1 m8 :) )!!

Here is how U go about it..
".....

Side-chains for ducking
Say you have a stereo soundtrack on channels 1/2, and the narration (voice) on channel 3:

Open a first dB-D insert effect on channel 3

Set the Send button to A

Open a second dB-D insert effect on channels 1/2

Setup as a 3:1 ratio compressor, threshold -30dB, gain 0dB

Set the Recv button to A

and that's it! Channel 3 is now controlling the dB-D on channels 1/2.

.................."

michealbr0ke
05-05-2003, 08:29 PM
hehe.. i said 99% :) Thnx for the new idea! i'll just try out the demo :d
micheal

DJZeMig_L
06-05-2003, 02:14 AM
DUnno m8, sorry. ... maybe Mark!! :?:

Z

DJZeMig_L
17-12-2003, 03:27 PM
I might have found how this works I feel really :oops: about having missed this... I'll get back 2 ya soon... if it works then I will look really dumb (well at least won't b fooling any1 anymore!)....

Z

DJZeMig_L
18-12-2003, 02:24 AM
Damn'... can't really figure this 1 out!! :evil: It should b as easy as making a duplicate track.. then using a waves Side Chain Plug in as an insert .. thus muting this duplicate and sending it via side chain 2 which ever track I felt like compressing with C1 SC with this dupplicate as it's Key Insert... but I don't C any Waves Side Chain or key Insert plug in!! :(

Basil? Any1? ...

Z

Basil Rush
19-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Dunno, in in PT you select the sidechain in the options at the top of the plugin, but thats in the PT bit, there's no Waves Insert plugin on it. But it's diffent in all the sequencers. This has definitely come up on the forum before though and i think it got answered ...

it's definitely not MIDI Gate, that's something different tho ... might work

DJZeMig_L
19-12-2003, 08:28 PM
hey brava,

Thanks.. I was deeply involved on that post but no answers for SX so far!!

I'll look again...
the prob is that in cubase u don't have does options on the top of the plug in at all!

:(

thanks 4 trying anyhow m8!

Z

Basil Rush
19-12-2003, 08:39 PM
yep - right i spoke to gaz about this whose a long time cubase freak, he doesn't think that there is a proper way to do it in cubase (shocking! get logic instead:) ) but you can run the C1 comp/gate in split mode and run a mono signal into one channel and the side chain single into the other channel and use that, you'd have to split the other channel into another compress to handle a stereo mix.

alternatively you could i suppose just draw in volume automation on a bus if you've got a simple enough thing going on...

278d7e64a374de26f==