PDA

View Full Version : Midi Keyboard with FLStudio

tekboi
09-12-2004, 03:45 AM
At the moment I have mainly being using CubaseSX and just mainly learning it thought currently I getting more interested in FLStudio just a quick question on FLStudio with a midi keyboard:

I have been told that you can use a midi keyboard with FLStudio right?
So in this case can I for example assign my midi keyboard to lets say the master channel for FX and control that in real time when I am in song mode through FLStudio? Then after I go through the song mode I then export the track via MP3? Does this sound right?

The other thing that confuses is me is if I am playing the track through song mode if I touch any of the EQ's from a specific channel with lets say a pad synth why does the song mode stop? Would this happen if I touch the track using the midi keyboard or not?

I hope this is not too much or not too stupid hehe Hope someone can help, thanks guys! The reason is I do want to get my hands on a midi keyboard as my first piece of hardware as I think its the most important for me at the moment. Then after this I will get my hands on a sampler, ok thinking for now hehe?

Cheers.

ampassasinbirmingham
09-12-2004, 09:08 AM
answer number 1 is, yes you can control any midi parameter in fruity, as long as your keyboard is recognised. and to save real time adjustments and export a whole audio track you need to automate/record you movements.

tekboi
09-12-2004, 01:53 PM
But cant I avoid automating if I have a midi keyboard in the first place?

Barely Human
09-12-2004, 03:04 PM
But cant I avoid automating if I have a midi keyboard in the first place?

Yes, you can link any paramter to a knob or slider on your midi controller and use that to control it. You can then hit record and it will save the live changes you make.

schlongfingers
09-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Sounds like the problem you're having with the stopping after one bar in record mode is because you're prepping in a 'bad' way

In song mode, in the playlist first make sure you have highlighted the portion of the track you wisdh to automate aspects of by double clicking and dragging on the timeline at the top

Then make sure that you have an EMPTY pattern selected on the left hand side - press record and play and do the business - the reason it is stopping after a loop is because you have a pattern with sounds on selected, are therefore recording automation to that pattern (bad practise because if you do this you will inevitably lose track of your automation)

Basically keep patterns with automation and patterns with sequences completely seperate.

tekboi
10-12-2004, 12:43 AM
schlongfingers: Thanks! I will give that a go and let you know if I have any problems.

IQ: Thanks, thats exactly what I want to do have that power to control my effects channel for example with my midi keyboard, one more question on that:

When you say hit record, do you mean after I have played the track in song mode or do you mean play the track in song mode WHILE its on record and throughout the track do my thing with the keyboard? Hope this makes sense, hope you can clarify.

Thanks guys.

schlongfingers
10-12-2004, 02:17 AM
The procedure I follow is

lay out your sequence in the playlist
again in the playlist screen, right click an empty pattern, name it 'automation' and give it a different colour to your other patterns by clickingthe coloured icon on the right next to where you enter the name of the pattern
making sure you still have your 'automation' pattern selected in the playlist, switch to the sequencer screen
select song mode, press play and work out which parameters you want to effect, once you have found the parameter you wish to tweak, set it's initial value (ie it's value right at the start of the track)by right clicking the knob that controls the parameter and click 'init song woth this position' - once you have done this, right click the knob and assign it to a knob on your midi controller. Repeat this procedure for each knob you wish to control[list:3594cbae2c]
[list:3594cbae2c]press stop
switch back to the playlist screen, then highlight the sequence of patterns you wish to work on - make sure that you keep the 'automation' pattern selected on the left
press record, then play
tweak away - FLStudio will record your movements until you press stop or until it reaches the end of the selected sequence in the playlist
you will now see a long sequence in the 'automation' pattern - you can fine tune yor automation if you like by (make sure the 'automation' pattern is still selected ;-)) right clicking on the parameter you tweaked and thhen clicking 'edit events''
that's it, you can now use the automation pattern in the same way as a standard sequence - ie// if you repeat the same block of automation 4 times, it will repeat the same tweaks on any pattern with the sample you effected in 4 times, even if it is a different sequence... this is why it is good to separate your automation from your sample patterns

Phew, gobbledegook in part I know, but hopefully you got some of that :D

[/list:u:3594cbae2c][/list:u:3594cbae2c]

278d7e64a374de26f==