PDA

View Full Version : Techy/Housey Stab sound.

Nemo
10-12-2004, 10:49 AM
I was wondering if anyone here knows what sound I should use for a stab sounding something like this one:

http://www.studiowave.co.uk/downloads/samples/stabchord.zip

I know its a chord, but whenever I do one, I never get it tuned into my bassline or whatever other sounds I am using. What kind of instrument would I use? What attack, decay etc would I use.

Those are the things I would like to know

Thanks,

Nemo DX Zimmer //Esknetlabs

Nemo
10-12-2004, 11:31 PM
cause im a cocky ****, i will say that none of you got a clue how to do this sound, and that you all would just use this sample ;)

networkacid
13-12-2004, 07:55 AM
That particular Detroity/Dave Clarke-y Red-1/2/3-y kind of sample originally came from a KORG M1 keyboard, one of the electric piano patches that came standard with the keyboard. What particular chord it is I dunno, I'm guessing probably nothing more exciting than a C-minor...

You can download many more samples like that, I wouldn't bother going to any more effort than that... You can fine tune a sample using Wavelab/SoundForge or just finely adjust the pitch in your sampler/VST of choice :)

If you want to PM me your email address I can send you a couple more of that kind of sample in WAV format :)

Basil Rush
13-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Mmm, minor chord has the wrong flavour I think...

It's like that though Bb minor with something else going on like a Db in the bass.

Basil Rush
13-12-2004, 11:15 PM
I've just got really obessesive over this stab now

ftp://80.176.210.21/pub/br-stab-1.mp3 is as close as I've got with the virus...tricky to make it sound as rich as the original and to get the same harmonics... dunno, maybe i'm missing a note after all.

Jimfish
14-12-2004, 01:42 AM
i think you must be man.. but dont ask me which one ;)

Basil Rush
14-12-2004, 03:59 PM
I was so going to work it out, but then I took that stab patch I'd created and went off on one creating a tune and before long it was past my bed time ...

heavy beats
14-12-2004, 11:03 PM
I think your best bet is to try the KORG vsts (wavestation/polysix/etc). those are currently my favorites for that sound.

AcidMutant
19-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I AM NOT AN ATOMIC PLAYBOY!

I seem to remember that choon using that stab :roll:

Komplex
19-12-2004, 10:06 PM
nah, we all just use a sample of that sound because it sounds just like it. why deviate and sound different when u can have the exact same sound.

;)

Nemo
20-12-2004, 07:56 AM

ftp://80.176.210.21/pub/br-stab-1.mp3 is as close as I've got with the virus...tricky to make it sound as rich as the original and to get the same harmonics... dunno, maybe i'm missing a note after all.
Hmm that sounds right about IT! You are da man, seeing that I also have a virus, would you like to share how you did it?! Or maybe send me the patch and the chord that you were using so I can have a look?

Mindful
20-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Sounds like the Goodlife stab to me

Nemo
14-01-2005, 09:51 AM
That it sounds like another stab, doesnt help does it? ;) I need to know how this stab can be done so I dont need to use some lame sample hehehehehe :)

TheRev
14-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I AM NOT AN ATOMIC PLAYBOY!

I seem to remember that choon using that stab :roll:

Is there another track outside of the Second Reality theme that used that vocal sample?

And what's wrong with using a sample?

Make the music, who cares how you got there. Does it really matter to the listener in the end?

Milesy
15-01-2005, 12:00 AM
yeah its out of good life..
although the particular track i love for this sample more than any
is devil fish - man alive :twisted:

heres a similar sound out of my korg electribe

http://www.chrismiles.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/korg.rar

easy sound with that. just select a sawtooth wave and use
a chord oscilator. add some delay :)

Basil Rush
15-01-2005, 12:36 AM

Hmm that sounds right about IT! You are da man, seeing that I also have a virus, would you like to share how you did it?! Or maybe send me the patch and the chord that you were using so I can have a look?

Remind me in about two weeks when I'll hopefully have my mac back and fixed and I'll dig up the settings. Never quite got the stab sussed to be exactly the same but it sounds pretty cool ...

rounser
15-01-2005, 01:19 AM
tricky to make it sound as rich as the original and to get the same harmonics... dunno, maybe i'm missing a note after all.
I don't think you're missing a note...rather, it sounds to me like it's an inversion of the chord you've got there, because at least one of the notes in the original is higher in pitch than in your copy, yet the whole chord doesn't sound like it's an entire octave up from it.

P.S. Can anyone explain why stabs like this are so rare in modern dance music when they (arguably) sound so lovely? Is it simply because modern synths lack chord memory like the alpha juno?

loopdon
15-01-2005, 04:52 PM
i think quite a lot of people use stabs like this or similar in modern techno, think of lots of the italian stuff, for example. carola and so on... ;)

loopdon
15-01-2005, 04:53 PM
i'm overusing it at the moment, fo sho :rambo:

btw, could anyone tell me the ecact chord used? coz i am up for experimentation :crackup:

Basil Rush
15-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Try a minor chord with the third in the bass.

Like, C, Eb, G with the right hand and Eb with the left.

loopdon
15-01-2005, 05:57 PM
thanks a lot :clap: :clap: :clap:

rounser
16-01-2005, 01:03 AM
i think quite a lot of people use stabs like this or similar in modern techno, think of lots of the italian stuff, for example. carola and so on... ;)
Bit of a noob, me...is it possible you could fill in the "and so on"? :)

I know the Hazchem label uses them...

loopdon
19-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Has anybody got some nice stabs for techy/housy/techhousey stuff?
I have a pack i will put up later but if anybody has stuff like this - shoot em up :)

rhythmtech
19-04-2006, 12:30 PM
its an ms20 piano sound as stated earlier and its an F

278d7e64a374de26f==