PDA

View Full Version : XLR's

karl54
23-04-2003, 07:46 PM
right then.

can you get XLR to PHONO adaptors?
if so how much? and where?

(XLR are the big bastard connectors on the back of most decent mixers)

darkstar
23-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Make one mate, find the diagram online.

Patrick
23-04-2003, 10:16 PM
As Darkstar says they're easy to make. If you can't be arsed any Maplins, Tandy or Radio Shack type store sells them.

karl54
24-04-2003, 11:28 PM
thanks.

ps, id rather just buy one. ;p

MARKEG
25-04-2003, 12:51 AM
yeah but it's gr8 knowing how to make you're own stuff...

karl54
25-04-2003, 06:43 PM
thats true but i nead it for next weekend, and dunno if its worth all the hastle, maybe if i had more time, and maybe if it works out cheeper.

does anyone know how mcuh they are roughly? in UKP pls.

ta
karl

Patrick
25-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Just had a look in my Maplins catalogue and I can't actually see a XLR to phono. They do XLR to 1/4" Jack, and then you'd have to get jack to phono converters. XLR to Jack = £4. Jack to phono = £1.50.
It would probably be cheaper to make them, plus you're better off not using multiple adapters as you introduce more potential failure points into your setup with each one, and you get slight degradation of sound quality. Not really that noticeable for one or two maybe, but the more you use the more you lose. An XLR plug is about £1.99 tops and a phono plug £0.79.

Maybe Tandy do XLR to phono though, although the more I think about it I can't actually ever remember needing XLR to phono. It's always been XLR to Jack, or Jack to phono that I've used. If you don't mind me asking, what kit are you running from and to ?

karl54
25-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Vestax Mixer PMC 55
link: http://www.vestax.com/images/mixers/pmc55_big.jpg

to

Sony Mini Disk Recorder.

god damm thing doesnt even have REC out!! its got two Masters so i asume that ill be using one for recording. (two masters are XLR's)
if all eles fails i might have to hook it up to the AMP (some how),, i havent actualy seen the mixer or the amp so i havent a clue, but ive been told "you nead the big chunky connectors" haha!

just gonna go armed to the teath with loadsa cable & adaptors. hehe ;)

darkstar
26-04-2003, 12:52 AM
if you make ur own cables up, you can customise them to your needs ! like Patrick said less connections = better sound etc... which is true.

if u wanna know how to solder i'll help you with that :D

Patrick
26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Ahh, the Vestax. Bloody weirdos not giving a rec out ! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, Tandy sell a male phone to female XLR for a fiver which should do the job for you.

Or, and I'm going from memory here so I could well be wrong, but I think the Booth output is a phono socket so you could just stick a doubler on that, one to your mini disc and t'other to the booth amp. But then you'll have to keep an eye on the DJ's so they don't keep turning the booth volume up and down, ruining your recording volume :twisted:

karl54
26-04-2003, 10:35 PM
exactly.

nice 1 guy's.. think Curly music in liverpool are make me one for £10 anyway.

278d7e64a374de26f==