PDA

View Full Version : Promotional Ideas for Labels

dirty_bass
12-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Ok, mark raised a good point in another thread about improving promotion of labels beyond the fifty whites sent out to DJ`s and Magazines.

Anyone have any suggestions we can all apply to the way we do things?

I`m gonna put my own idea forward for this later, but I got a lot to work to do first and wanted to start a thread about it.

gary_human
12-12-2004, 01:51 PM
how about getting a TECHNO / electro / breaks / tech-house magazine out?

Stella Boy
12-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Shoot me down in flames for this idea but I've never been involved with distribution or anything to do with record production. Would it be possible to set up a download account for shops, magazines and prostective dj's. They are given a password which only they'll know and have the option of one dl per track. I'm not hot with dl quality and whether this would be viable for dj's to use the track out but it would be alot better for shops and mags to use as they could provide feedback and reviews directly onto the website.

Ritzi Lee
12-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Shoot me down in flames for this idea but I've never been involved with distribution or anything to do with record production. Would it be possible to set up a download account for shops, magazines and prostective dj's. They are given a password which only they'll know and have the option of one dl per track. I'm not hot with dl quality and whether this would be viable for dj's to use the track out but it would be alot better for shops and mags to use as they could provide feedback and reviews directly onto the website.

TTR Magazine!
But that's only the UL.
Would be nice to see something like this for whole of Europe,
or even the world.

Ritzi Lee
12-12-2004, 02:29 PM
UL = UK

new
12-12-2004, 05:04 PM
hey everyone. I'm a newbie, been reading this board for a bit now though. Love it!

as for labels promotional ideas they gotta get a way to get across to just their target market, namely djs. How to get a bunch of djs who are intrested in a particular label's style is the question. I can think of a couple ways.

1. throw invite only dj parties. you then get a bunch of djs in a room, play some music, they hear things they like, find out bout it etc etc. just gotta invite enough people, boys and girls, to make it fun.

2. labels used to do this lots, I dunno if it still happens much. Limilt releases of really good tracks. Like don't go past that 50 white labels or whatever. That way you build up a name for your label. And of course, having these kind of tracks is what makes those top 50 djs so, so if the tracks are good they'll play em.

Internal Error Records
12-12-2004, 06:43 PM
my suggestion is to build relationships.

call up and thank record shops that sell you well. send them free tshirts and stickers.

find the 10 djs you want to chart your vinyl. send them free copies and tshirts.

basic friendly business practices can probably help out alot.

let the people that help you out know how important and valued they are to you. people like feeling needed.

fresh_an_funky_design
12-12-2004, 07:12 PM
get your label known!!!

dont just send your records to your distributor:

1. contact record shops
2. post previews on websites or forums
3. send promo's to people who will play em, dont just send them to 'dj ???' because he/she is a big dj
4.create a bit of hype a bout it on the net, word of mouth has the highest return rate of any form of advertising (to my knowledge)
5. Put as much effort into promoting as you do into making your tunes
6. email people about it

if people have heard of your label they are more likly to listen to it orpick it up in a shop.

Even labels that im not usually into, ill have a listen to just because i recognise the label.

dirty_bass
12-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Ok, well one of my ideas is to produce a mix CD (a simple mix, nothing too time consuming) containing all the tracks coming out that month or period, from all the labels associated with the LondonTechno Collective (or anyone who wants to be part of the promotion), mass produce it, in simple packaging (just plastic flimsy sleeves and black n white inserts) and give it away.
I`ve designed some boxes to go on counters, so that they can be put in record shops, and also want to give them to flyer distributers, to hand out at club nights.
The costs would be split between the labels, so could be relatively low.
Also, the labels could be multimedia, containing hot links to websites, online shops, Dj profiles, sponsors etc, with small snippets from club nights in video files, the potential is immense really. A proper electronic TECHNO magazine.
None of this paper crap. Something for the new millenium.
I`m looking for more people to get involved
so please let me know if you are interested.

Internal Error Records
12-12-2004, 08:14 PM
thats a good idea.

a promoter for the labels using cds instead of flyers.

it would put a taste of the product into the hands of the heads who dont live online.

someone willing to organize that project would be a powerful person.

dirty_bass
12-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I`m organising it. It has been my secret project for ages.
I thought I would air it here as I want more people involved

fresh_an_funky_design
12-12-2004, 08:37 PM
i'd be up for getting involved with that, its one of those it might work it might not. but we wont know till we try

Internal Error Records
12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
i certainly interested in it as well. although i would not be able to participate on a monthly basis. but it would be wicked cool if you had some thing like a back catalogue section.

MARKEG
12-12-2004, 11:37 PM
bass, that is a brilliant idea and one i think so many ppl (iincluding me) would love to be involved in. if you need any writing doing for it, or deeper involvment, please let me know. tbh that's how eternity mag started back in the day. we handed it out free at events. and then the interest became so big that we started to be able to sell it. next thing you know we're on top placing in whsmith. shame in the end the owner went bankrupt though. i think if you haved the right head though, you can really do something in this market for music.

for me, the key to pr is mags. but there really is a new day. i remember getting involved with something that was given away free on the front of dj mag called DROM. i thought this was such a great concept but it never toook off. why? cause it was on the front of a printed mag and they never really realise the value of street level promotion. the street is where you build something and just imagine a CD handed out with flyers after events. PPL would be like 'WOW' and if it's got music on from all the new labels that really are pushing boundaries, plus perhaps a little CDROM magazine for when you get home - well I think you can see how this would create something very unique.

bass, please pm me. and ppl would love to know your thoughts on this, plus any other promo ideas.

Craig McW
12-12-2004, 11:59 PM
The free mix CD is a FANTASTIC idea.

Something else that could be good is to get some visual art happening. Nothing huge.... I just remember buying a Diego douple pack on Kanzleramt (Mouth full of Fresh Flowers or something) and in it was record sleeve sized, 300gsm, matt varnished print of the cover artwork on one side, with a past releases sheet on the other side including photos of each record cover.

I loved that. You could send that artowrk on it's own to record shops to put up on their walls etc....

I think it's a good idea.

fresh_an_funky_design
13-12-2004, 01:38 AM
seems like were actually getting some good plans going for getting techno back on track.
i'd be up for involving my label with and doing artwork or dtp for it.

gunjack
13-12-2004, 05:40 AM
dirty, this is gold. pm me details.

Ritzi Lee
13-12-2004, 06:52 AM
2 dirty bass:

If you gonna start this,
i already have a distribution for you in holland to spread all the CD's for you.

dirty_bass
13-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Ok, anyone seriously interested please email me at

dirty-bass-records@londontechno.co.uk

If I can co-ordinate this then we can sort out the amount we would initially need to press, how many people can arrange distribution in their respective companies etc.

Udy
13-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Free promotional CDs definately work,
been doing a local artists compilation down in Portsmouth, just had a release party for the 2nd one, which was a double CD affair, the first more electronica and the second more techno based.

We gave em away to the first 100 through the door and the response was great, primarily from the people that had got a copy of our first one at clubs and pubs around here.

We incorporate the website address into the artwork, so the people that get the CD can spread the word, as all the tracks are downloadable on the site too.

Works out very cheap to do, especially as we have an army of people copying the CDs up at home :) Definately works as promotion for our nights and allows us to build up the local names, reckon it'd work for sure for a true label also.

Udy
13-12-2004, 12:00 PM
In light of reading the post about keeping concise, i apologise...
before somebody tells me off ;-)

massplanck
13-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Good idea with the CD. I've mates doing something similar over here (DVD Magazine) with mixes/live video/etc etc etc but its not gonna be free. V Interesting.

How about everyone here pulls together and creates an internet radio station where alot of labels\artists come together and showcase their music\mixes + livesets. You could also put audio interviews + talk shit about techno\life\technology if needs be. The means to do it is there so it shouldnt be too hard to implement judging by the enthusiasim on here. I havent seen any credible thing like it on the web so far regarding the harder side of techno. BOA Radio anyone?

Ritzi Lee
13-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Good idea with the CD. I've mates doing something similar over here (DVD Magazine) with mixes/live video/etc etc etc but its not gonna be free. V Interesting.

How about everyone here pulls together and creates an internet radio station where alot of labels\artists come together and showcase their music\mixes + livesets. You could also put audio interviews + talk shit about techno\life\technology if needs be. The means to do it is there so it shouldnt be too hard to implement judging by the enthusiasim on here. I havent seen any credible thing like it on the web so far regarding the harder side of techno. BOA Radio anyone?

We already have Livesets radio!
Please take a look at www.livesets.com.
They are very openminded. :)

Udy
13-12-2004, 04:55 PM
yeah, thats a good little station...
got mates that do www.clubbedout.co.uk
they run a couple of channels, plus a live servers when people are up for stuff.
they'll accept submissions from DJs, currently they do all forms of harder dance music, but the more techno submitted, the more techno played.

they'd appreciate the interest!

dirty_bass
13-12-2004, 05:08 PM
ok, I`m getting alot of labels contacting me regarding the CD thing.
this is good, and the more people who get on the cheaper and more successful it will be.

If we can get copies of this handed out in clubs and record shops and other dance related places (headshops etc) all over the country and beyond, this could really work.

by the looks of things I`m gonna need to organise some kind of meeting so those involved can all get together.

any one else please contact dirty-bass-records@londontechno.co.uk

fresh_an_funky_design
13-12-2004, 05:11 PM
sounds good, maybe chuck some copies in some clothes shops or skate shops, as i know quite a few skaters that r into techno

G-whizz
13-12-2004, 05:14 PM
sounds good, maybe chuck some copies in some clothes shops or skate shops, as i know quite a few skaters that r into techno
same here mate !

plus I put on parties with a few mates so there would be know problem handing them out when we do em` !

fresh_an_funky_design
13-12-2004, 05:22 PM
i honestly reckon that if we put enough effort in we can get techno back on track. I know so many people who when they've heard my tunes gone 'wow, never heard anything like that before' and liked it. We just need to expose our music to the general public more

Rog
14-12-2004, 05:08 PM
its basically the fundamental idea that breaks new hip hop talent on mix tapes - have some known artists, new people and if its free people will pick it up and listen.

i think a big mailing list could easily be set up if people were willing to respond to the cd, saying yeah i liked it - please keep me in the loop.

for some people its hard to saty in touch with all that is going on - i find it hard at time so new listeners and potential buyers that hav eno background need to be shown the door.

this email could eventually include the link to the mix with some info sheet as or link that will access the mix as an mp3.

if you had a cd for free with mark eg. dirty bass, and many of the other class producers here - a good start could be achieved.

as you know dirtybass - i'm always up for helping in anyway.

push things forward :clap:

gary_human
15-12-2004, 07:48 PM
hehehe!!! Techno gonna finally get on the mix tape phenomena ;)

I haven't got a label (I want one or five!!) but if there is anything I can do to help I am willing.

:lol:

Udy
15-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Ditto.

Do exactly this kind of thing in Portsmouth anyway, will be happy to add value to my bundle.

Get in!!!

dirty_bass
16-12-2004, 02:23 AM
I`m not sure the mix thing on this CD is gonna be a feature, but rather the promo snips of new tunes and links to sellers and websites where they can be purchased.
May do some featured DJ mixes and stuff.
Still sorting out the details, so everyone who has mailed, I will get back to you.
Got meatings with the bank to go through first :shock:

Ritzi Lee
17-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Yesterday i had a chat with the friends from my distro.
They think it's a cool idea... So from there you have support to spread the CD's through recordshops in Holland. :)

dirty_bass
17-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Cool, well it`s gonna be free, so there is no reason why anyone shouldn`t handle it.

xfive
17-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Here's an idea... may or may not be good...

Why not make cds that are regional or something so that every month people can "collect all 4" or whatever... each region will be affiliated with the others but will handle its own content.
Then you just swap with other regions for the distribution...

Would this spread us too thin?

Udy
17-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Nice idea, would personalise it a bit, but i think that's watering it down a bit too much, doesn't project the idea of unity quite as well.

xfive
17-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Well they would all be affiliated still... maybe common packaging, different internal content?

But yeah.... there may not be enough material as is....

278d7e64a374de26f==