PDA

View Full Version : Machinedrum questions....

po
12-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi all,
Can a few 'Machinedrum' owners give me their views on the swing function. Is it 'musical' to your ears or does it sound a bit dodgy?
Also, can you move patterns/notes by ticks (as opposed to 16th/8ths etc...?).
Im also aware of the 'extended' sequencing mode. Does this mean that if you can move notes by ticks, that you could move,say, the 5th hat in a hi-hat pattern backwards 4 ticks (or is that ppqn?!) and the 9th forward by 12 ticks?
cheers

FILTERZ
13-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Machine drum has just updated the software for the md so there is much greater control over the swing function.
I dont really use it as i program my drums from cubase sx.

download the new software at www.elektron.se

xfive
13-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Extended mode refers to how the machiniedrum treats kit relationships with patterns.
In standard mode you load a kit, and when you change patterns it keeps the same kit. In extended mode the kit changes also. But yes you can also shift notes around very easily as you described.

The swing is not dodgy at all and can get quite the shuffled sound going.

thetonewrecka
14-12-2004, 01:49 AM
One of the newer functions included in the swing is that EACH INSTRUMENT can have a different swing setting! Also you can turn on or off each of the 1-32 steps that will have the swing setting affect it. It can really trip out the drums by having part of the pattern run with no swing and then suddenly hitting shifted notes. good fun. Also note that since you can determine which steps have swing you are not stuck with the standard even notes being pushed off beat.

po
14-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Thankyou all,
Yo Xfive, Just to carify, can you move note by 'ticks' as opposed to just 16th's, 8th's etc.
cheers

xfive
14-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Thankyou all,
Yo Xfive, Just to carify, can you move note by 'ticks' as opposed to just 16th's, 8th's etc.
cheers

Nope it's completely down to whatever resolution you have beat-wise.. 16ths..etc etc

278d7e64a374de26f==