PDA

View Full Version : Who can help me with a soundcard?

Francisco Scaramanga
12-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I am looking for an external soundcard for my laptop, but it seems that soundcards have changed since the last time I bought one, all this talk of S/PDIF and 5.1 surround, and all sorts of other stuff has confused me, so I am hoping if I make a quick list of my basic requirements someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I would like to have phono inputs and outputs, as well as 1/4" jack inputs, and ideally outputs as well.

It has to be external as it is for a laptop.

It needs to be as close to noiseless as possible, I don't want any background hiss, or the sound of the fans and drives and whatnot drowning out the tunes.

I am looking to spend no more than £100 - unless there is something really worth it at £110 or something like that (and if its £50, I'd really love it).

I should also add that I don't want anything fancy, I couldent give a rats ass about surround sound or playing games or dvds, I just want to play music with it. So something basic and functional is what I really want, not the best soundcard in the world.

I know this is a question that gets asked alot, and I did try to figure it out myself by trawling trough the archives of soundcard questions, but I really couldent get any satisfactory answer from reading the other threads. I've probably just missed the one that has the answer in it I need, so sorry for being shit, but I'd really appreciate the help.

Agility
13-12-2004, 01:21 AM
I use an Echo Indigo(£150 or cheaper), although that wont fit your needs with the Phono stuff.

There are the Audiophile USB and Firewire ones too, not sure if they have Phonos on them but I'd guess so... Google em up. :)

278d7e64a374de26f==