PDA

View Full Version : elektron machine drum?

tekara
13-12-2004, 10:18 AM
hey everyone

just received my annual bonus at work and am probably gonna blow it on gear and spraypaint....

I was gonna bid for a classic 909 drum machine cause i hear that there is definately something about the original that cannot be duplicated by using their samples. However the 909 is a bit of a bitch to buy since its pricey and i there is no warranty on it.

Which brings me to the MACHINE DRUM.

any users of this machine here? Any opinions on them?

Ive read on some reviews that they are great for making experimental music but was wondering if anyone used the ELEKTRON as their main source of drums in the context of techno tracks.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

networkacid
13-12-2004, 10:28 AM
i hear that there is definately something about the original that cannot be duplicated by using their samples.

I respectfully disagree, entirely. Unless you're particularly going for an "old skool" type sound, a much better sound is achieved through sampling/synthesizing/layering/compressing/effecting/EQing drum samples than through a 909.

FILTERZ
13-12-2004, 11:25 AM
I do , i just sold my 909 as all i used were the hats and nothing else .
Machine drum rocks and is tons more use than that old warhorse the 909
which lets face it is a bit shit compared to modern gear in terms of sounds and editability (is that a word).

sleepy
15-12-2004, 05:59 PM
have you looked at the jomox xbase09 it can do 909 sounds and its analog :lol:

Basil Rush
16-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah, you could sample the 909 for sure and have it sound pretty much identical ... make sure you use quality samples 'cause you bizarrely can't sample the kick properly on an old akai sampler 'cause it doesn't get the transient at the beginning.

Can't remember that details, but I had a mate who said the thing couldn't be sampled so i had to give it a go and it was either that the auto trigger on the sampler just missed the beginning or that the converters were shit ... but i think that's where the 'can't sample a 909 myth comes from.

loopdon
16-12-2004, 11:36 PM
have you looked at the jomox xbase09 it can do 909 sounds and its analog :lol:

i've got one of those :twisted:

3o3
25-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi,

A friend of me sold his 909 to buy the machinedrum and he's really very happy with it!
After using his new box for a few weeks, Elvis appeared on the (little) red LCD screen ;)

Cheers bro...

DJZeMigL
30-12-2004, 08:10 PM
A 909 is always a 909... a machine drum is lots more powerfull and versatile... probably u will use it for losts more than just drums...

I luv a 909 but somehow the fact is u rarelly use it straight and without any sort of processing so all that raw energy kinda gets lost anyway...

I had 2 drumstations and no1 could ever tell if I had a 909/ 808 or not anywayz... so get the machine drum and maybe a 2nd had drumstation ...

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==